Red-Bovine

Rear weights for 520H

shallowwatersailor

Here is Tom Rupprecht/Scott Moreau's  hitch on my C-105, and 518xi with the Heavy Hitch bracket (he is in Wisconsin) and two suitcase weights. I used this on both the C-105 and 518xi without chains this past winter with out a problem.

post-3066-0-84352200-1403055997_thumb.jppost-3066-0-49571600-1403056214_thumb.jppost-3066-0-65959100-1403056030_thumb.jp

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

cheesegrader

Red,

I have a weight box on my loader that hooks up to Scott Morneau's 2" receiver.

The weight is nice, but the extra length can be hell, especialy if I am trying to work perpendicular to the driveway.

Seems like the extra two feet off the rear end really gets in the way.

My snow beast is set up with loaded tires, #50 steel weights on the outside of the rims, and #33 pound Berens weights on the inside of the rims.

All the weight is on the ground, not the axle, and I don't add any extra length hanging off the back to ding my barn!

Next year, I should have the #400 hard-shell Kozy Kab on top.  I might not even need weights with that monster!

Red-Bovine

I like the idea of the extra weight on the inside of the wheel. Do you have a pic and a part number? Would these fit a 520H rear wheel? Maybe I need to consider that Kozy Cab!!

Red

rexman72

that looks like a great set up for rear weight

cheesegrader

post-4467-0-57717000-1403108417.jpgpost-4467-0-42156300-1403108515_thumb.jpHere is the setup on the loader.

The snowbeast is currently in pieces in the garage, but will return in time for the first snow in September!

The hitch makes it easy to add the weightbox if I need it to balance a heavy load in the bucket (like the Kozy Kab).

Most of the time, this works by itself.  266 pounds total weight+load in the tires.

The inside weights are 33lbs each, and are shaped like half a bagel.  I had to cut a notch for the valve stem

I don't think there is a Wheel Horse version, but FMC, Beherns, Bolens, JD, and a few others make them.

Red-Bovine

Thank you!! I just found that the original Toro hard top cab with the red canvas sides still available for about $700.00. It fits the 300-400-500 series tractors. Any comments about these? 

Red

cheesegrader

I've used a Wheel Horse cab with the hard top and red soft sides for a few years.  Huge improvement over no cab.

The problems that I have include:

No wiper-- a problem when the wind blows snow right back on the windshield

Plastic windows--discolor and become brittle over time, hard to clean without scratching

Canvas walls--after a few decades, they start to wear and tear where they contact the metal frame

Engine access--Once the cab is on, you can't open the hood.  Bad problem if you need to get to the battery in the winter

I think the lifespan an these is about 20 years.  Beyond that, I would expect to have to start replacing windows and canvas.

I will try to post pictures of the Kozy Kab.  I have to make a new set of mounts.  Mine came from a salvage yard in Minnesota off a JD.

They are still available new, but cost about $1500.

Glass windows, steel walls, wiper, defroster fan, and a fuse block that will support additional lighting.

It won't ever be as pretty as Duke's Snowchucker, but I think it is going to be just right for -10 with a 40 mph wind howling off the lake and into my face!

Red-Bovine

Maybe the cab might be more of a PITA than it's worth. I'll just have to give the old boy a warm hug and a hot chocolate when he comes in.

Red :)

• Like 1

Forest Road

This is probably the least expensive method for attaching weight. This guy makes a few different hitches. I've seen 25 - 50 lb weights just bolted to the hitch. It's not always pretty. Just functional.

Look at this on eBay:

WHEEL HORSE/TORO TRACTOR 2X2 RECEIVER, DRAW BAR, HITCH

http://bit.ly/1sqZmw4

Red-Bovine

I think I will probably fabricate something similar to the Wheel Horse design. Thanks to you fine folks for posting a lot of pics, I have an idea on what to do. I will post pics later this year after I have made something. As far as the cab, Rich really doesn't think he would want it.

Red

ole-red

Is Scott and Tom still making the receiver hitch for the XI? Also like to order the suit case wait bracket. I can't find contact info for either of them.