Sign in to follow this  
jimbo7921

520-h with no power

jimbo7921

Im throwing this one out for the experts since im far from it. Couple weeks ago went to start the tractor and got nothing turned the key and not even my warning lights wood start up like normal so i checked a few things like the fuses and a few connections and found nothing so i left it for a few hours went back and turned the key over 10 - 15 times and then bang it started. Have used it a few more times since with no issues. Went out this weekend and nothing again. Im figuring its the ignition switch since i have power no where im i off base or wood this b the logical assumption? Thx jim

smoreau

Possible a key switch, most likely the moldex connector between the engine and the dash is bad or a fuse block bad

boovuc

Hi Jim,

Not so fast on the ignition switch. I have a 416, (same electronic bugaboos as a 520), that has the same issues. First and foremost, you may want to look at the fuse block on your tractor. Pull the fuses and look at the ends of the fuse to see if they appear to be burnt. Look at the plastic on the fuse for signs of melting from heat. Look at the connectors in the fuse block for pitting and burnt connectors.

Next look at the 9 pin Molex connector(s) for signs of heat buildup or plastic chipping off. Normally the key switch is going to work or NOT work. 

Save Old Iron

one of the most important aspects of dealing with an intermittent problem is to take every advantage of the opportunity to LOGICALLY TROUBLESHOOT the problem while the problem exists. If you start with  "pushing this and pulling on that" style of troubleshooting, you may just mask the problem until next week when your getting ready for vaction, have to cut 8 inch tall grass and the problem comes back !!  ARRRGGHHHH

My suggestion would be to take a test light or multimeter and check for voltage at each major component in the 12 volt delivery wiring. Start by placing the testor on the battery + terminal - lite comes on - you know the testor is good

move the testor to the inlet of the fuse holder - light on ? power is good to fuse

light off ? wiring is suspect up to the fuse

if fuse inlet has pwer then move testor to the fuse outlet - no light ? fuse or fuse holder is bad

light is on ? then fuse holder may be good

proceed in this fashion until the 12 volt power disappears. that is the problem area (or one of the problem areas) - fix the issue and proceed on witht the troubleshooting until all issues are addressed.

again, I would take the opportunity to use the testor or multimeter while the problem is present and avoid troubleshooting soley by random parts replacement.

• Like 4