kcuttuck

C 121....Fuel

kcuttuck

Should I be running leaded fuel in my C 121??

Matt

rmaynard

Where are you going to find leaded fuel? Unleaded is fine. Unleaded without Ethanol is better.

Butch

Airports have leaded 100 octane fuel.

kcuttuck

Ok, so I found in the manual to use leaded or unleaded fuel over 90 octane so I don't have to buy a leaded fuel additive.   Before I read that I filled the tank with 87 octane and ran it for a while. It ran rough after a while and I had to run it with the choke on. Is the 87 octane fuel the reason?

rmaynard

Thoroughly clean the carburetor. Load the tank with regular, unleaded gas, then tune the carburetor until it runs correctly. All of my Kohlers (8, 10, and 12 HP) run on unleaded 87 octane with no problems. I do use ethanol free gas when I can get it, and I don't let an engine sit for more than 30 days with ethanol gas in the fuel system.

I have a station that sells e-free gas within 40 miles round-trip, and it is worth the extra cost to obtain and use it in these small engines.

Wheel-N-It

Matt, do you know how to tune your carb??? If not, go to the Kohler web site and download the manual. Sounds to me like you have trash in your carb. I agree with Bob regarding all things Kohler, however I would like to add to that once your carb is cleaned mix your new gas (I prefer 89 octaine) with Sea Foam. To aid cleaning the carb and fuel system mix 8oz Seafoam to 5gal of gas. This is a good finishing touch to cleaning your carb. Running 5 gal of this mixture should be enough for now. Good luck!

WheelHorse_of_course

My Kohler K-301 runs OK on 87 octane, but it knocks on hills when the mower is engaged. It does not do that when I use 90 octane. I am pretty sure this means I need to pull the head and de-coke it, but in the meanwhile I'll stick with the 90.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Joe Warren
      By Joe Warren
      A guy I know runs all his 4 cycle power equipment engines on 2 cycle fuel. He claimed it reduced engine wear. Aside from the added cost of the 2 cycle oil, are there other downsides. Just curious what you all think. 

Joe 

And now for the rest of the story: I spoke to the guy again. He was a mechanic at a place where they operate a lot of outdoor power equipment; with both 2 and 4 cycle engines. To prevent employees from putting straight gas into their 2 cycle machines, all their fuel got 2 cycle oil mix with it. For them, it was more economical to spend money on oil, than on blown engines and downtime. 

Thank for all the great posts. I found some to be very entertaining.

• JoeM
      By JoeM
      The Ethanol Monster strikes again!
      Got out the pressure washer and went to start it, "no dice"
      Opened the carb and found those typical ethanol pearls, as I call them.
      I used an additive in my fuel last year, Ethanol Shield, did not seem to work very well.
      Not wanting to drive 30 miles for fuel, and still skeptical about if it is true ethanol free.
      Switched over to Lucas additive now.
      Will see.
      FYI
      Joe

• RJ Hamner
      By RJ Hamner
      Let me first say that it ran when I brought it home.  Drove it around the guys yard, tried out the mower, drove it onto the trailer and drove it off the trailer and into the garage.
      I've done a "ground up" restore on the tractor (70 Charger 12).  Swapped out the breakerless for a battery ignition and swapped out the 10 amp for a 15 amp stator, flywheel and regulator.
      Pulled the head, looked pretty good, new head gasket and head bolts.new fuel pump, fuel lines,new switches and wiring, new aftermarket carb, new coil, coil wire, new points, new throttle and choke cables.
      Static timed (twice just to make sure) Have tried Autolite 216's and the hotter 437's. changed the condenser to the high dollar Kohler one.
      It will idle but when I give it some throttle it stumbles or will rev up a little then quits.
      I've gone thru the "trouble shooting " steps multiple time and to no avail
      Anyone got any ideas??  I am willing to try most anything at this point

Bob
    • Team70R
      By Team70R
      I was mowing with my C165 today and it sputtered and stalled like it ran out of fuel. When I looked at the fuel line coming from the fuel pump to the carb, the fuel was boiling!! Do I need to change the exhaust route or ?
      IMG_2929.MOV
    • Team70R
      By Team70R
      Waiting on the eBay electric fuel pump to show up for the C165. Only thing I'm not sure about is what to do with the old mechanical one. Do I just leave it in place or do I need to make a cover plate with the a gasket and remove it?