km3h

Don't You Love It When Someone Dumps On You

km3h

Sitting in my garage on Sunday, when a neighbor stops by. He hesitates for bit and then asks if I want another old tractor. Being careful I say maybe depending on what it is. He tells me it is a Toro. I am thinking it might be one of the newer models and I am not sure I will be interested but decide to take a look anyway. He drives his truck around back and I discover it is a 416H, with a very good deck and plow. Not wanting to seem to joyous, I carefully ask what he wants for it. He tells me I can have it that he was going to take it to the dump. This guy has become my favorite neighbor!!!!!!!!    

post-2564-0-17825500-1399586424_thumb.jp

post-2564-0-10667600-1399586439_thumb.jp

post-2564-0-49933500-1399586453_thumb.jp

post-2564-0-95310600-1399586469_thumb.jp

post-2564-0-17277000-1399586484_thumb.jp

Edited by km3h
  • Like 9

leeave96

Lucky!

km3h

Yes I am lucky that way. It does not run at the moment but the engine turns freely. Must have been left outside for a while. I found the ignition switch was so badly corroded that while removing the plug one of the tabs broke off and stayed inside the wire connector. With the help of Gary I was able to locate a new switch using the part number he supplied and a new connector with about a foot of wire on the end. Since I always seem to need one of these 5 pin connectors I order three of them. 

I have torn down my 417A to the frame and all parts were stripped and repainted. Next step is to start assembly. Will need a new connector for it so now I have it. Folks around here know I like to play with these things and will stop by and just drop them off.  

This is my first tractor with an Onan engine in it. They look to be over engineered and expensive to buy parts for. Over $80.00 for a Carburetor Kit.

By the way, I would like to thank the folks who put this site together. I was able to download every piece of literature I will need to rebuild this tractor all in one spot. Very extensive library on Wheelhorse Tractors.   

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

My neighbor would come over and try to steal a mower, cheeeeeeeesh..

Best of luck.

It looks really nice.

Glenn

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Yeah, nice score there:handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

rmaynard

Man, you can't have that thing in Baltimore. They are not allowed. Let me come down tomorrow and pick it up.

Just kidding...I don't have neighbors like that up here in the burbs. You don't mind being dumped on when it's something like that.

• Like 2

danjmah

Congrats! and what a great neighbor you have.  

• Like 1

squonk

All I get from my neighbors are mangled beer cans ,cig butts, and an occasional bag of special pancake mix from Maine

• Like 2

gsummers

Wish somebody would dump on me like that, I had to buy mine. LOL

• Like 1

Zeek

Wow, wish the lucky truck would come to my neighborhood :roll:

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Not the thread I was expecting when I saw the tilte, but you came out very well on that dumping!

• Like 3

papaglide

Yeah, what he says! ^^^^^^^

• Like 2

km3h

Man, you can't have that thing in Baltimore. They are not allowed. Let me come down tomorrow and pick it up.

Just kidding...I don't have neighbors like that up here in the burbs. You don't mind being dumped on when it's something like that.

Well I actually live about quarter mile south of White Marsh Mall. I policed the streets of Baltimore for 32 years and know better than to try to live there. And for sure would not take a Wheel Horse into the city. It is very rural here but at the same time close to all the conveniences of city living without the noise and gunshots.

My garage is a hangout for a few of the guys in the neighborhood and some of the really old timers will stop by for a chat and a cold one once in a while. Some of these old guys have a lot of good iron sitting around and when the see what I do with it they just bring it over and drop it off. I have a Ford 165, 2 Case 440, a Case 220,and an MTD 195 all with some implements and all with 3 pt. hitches, I also have three very nice box store tractors I got free and repaired which I will be getting rid of this sunner. I can't seem to part with the old stuff though.

• Like 1

Ken B

All I get from my neighbors are mangled beer cans ,cig butts, and an occasional bag of special pancake mix from Maine

Nice score on that tractor, even if the Onan is toast you can still make a nice tractor out of it.

Hey Mike, special pancake mix from Maine? Now I'm craving pancakes!

• Like 3

Joefrommi65

Very nice and delivered too!!!!!

• Like 1

Tankman

Some guys have all the luck! Right now, you have it all!

Very nice Horse!   :woohoo:

• Like 2

km3h

Nice score on that tractor, even if the Onan is toast you can still make a nice tractor out of it.

Hey Mike, special pancake mix from Maine? Now I'm craving pancakes!

Ken, I am not ready to give up on that engine although I know nothing about Onans, it is still a mechanical device with nuts and bolts. Once I have get the new ignition plug I will try to get it started. I think today I will remove the seat pan and side plates and give it a good cleaning. I noticed that the forward and reverse are very stiff and need a jolt to engage.

Changing the plug to the ignition switch is going to be a bit of a problem. It is routed in a difficult to reach place with very little wire to work with and no space to use a crimping tool. Thankfully the new plug comes with a goodly length of wire attached to it.

Brrly1

I am thinking free snow plowing this next winter for that "Favorite" neighbor!!

Tankman

Early 70's, first home needing frequent mowin' ('bout an acre).

Bought a Craftsman. A friend saw me and my new home with my new "tractor." He couldn't stop laughing.

He left, returned later that Saturday with a beat (mistreated!) Wheel Horse.

Sold the "thingy", restored the Stallion and it's been WHA (Wheel Horse Addiction) ever since. The sickness caught my two sons, and now my grandsons.

What's a guy 'posed to do?   :eusa-think:

• Like 2

varosd

better that than road apples

• Like 1

music100

I seem to get dumped on too, but not like that. Lucky dude

km3h

Removed some tin and gave it a partial cleaning before I start getting serious. Got access to some of the wiring and freed up the shift lever. Removed the deck and found it to be solid. Surface rust but nothing more. Spindles are in great shape.

post-2564-0-92805800-1399665141_thumb.jp

post-2564-0-18571600-1399665161_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Hard to believe ...... A fine horse like that was one step from the bone yard.  Make sure you get the tin off that Onan and clean the fins. Especially the back cyl.

Lots of info and recent posts on the Onans  on the site.    Congrats and  :text-welcomewave: to :rs:

rmaynard

Well I actually live about quarter mile south of White Marsh Mall.

I used to work for a company on Town Center Ct. in White Marsh. I was just over at IKEA a couple of weeks ago.

Small world isn't it?

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I always heard it was a very good thing to know your neighbors!