CRE1992

So Who Here Owns a Wrangler?

CRE1992

Well fellas I decided to buy a jeep wrangler as a new toy. I have always been into the off-roading scene since I was a kid. I always loved trucks, jeeps, atvs. Recently a friend of mine traded his mustang for a lifted wrangler and its a blast to go off-roading in or wheeling as they like to put it.

I couldn't help myself and wanted to join in so I bought a 1993 with 153,000 miles on it with a ton of add ons for a great price. It has a 5.5" suspension lift, a 2' body lift and rides on 35" tires. She has 4.56 gears which are awesome for crawling, 4wd low range and 1st gear and you don't even have to touch the gas pedal. It is a 4.0L 6 cylinder engine back by a 5 speed manual trans. The rear drive shaft is a custom cv drive shaft with a slip yoke eliminator. The rear axle is a ford 8.8 limited slip with disc brakes out of a ford explorer. The frame is perfect not a spec of rust and was coated with POR-15.

She does have her fair share of issues but I am working on getting those straightened out! I just had the front drive shaft rebuilt and balanced. I ordered all new extremely heavy duty shocks. I need to fabricate 2 custom rear shock mounts as the "custom" ones that were on it broke off lol. She needs 2 new leaf spring packs in the rear. Some body work. A good cleaning after this weekend. Some fender flares. Etc!

C59E4A8B-2246-4A75-B093-3E7C42E5DB03_zps

If anyone has any good oh crap off-roading or wheeling stories with their jeeps or pictures please share. After this past Sundays experience I could probably top them lol.

I hope you enjoy the pics and the video my jeep was the main attraction. (I did not edit the video a friend did, so turn down the volume or the music might scare you)

LINK FOR VIDEO: http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/silveradostud/media/Jeep%20Fun/IMG_31371_zps0e82da88.mp4.html

55806E00-9CA4-4CC1-B1CB-DA3DC65F986E_zps

9ACC9BB4-CF2B-453E-A7D4-2C47CD804201_zps
E63EC78C-A369-4B23-A39F-576B1C0E315A_zps

1CA01D38-3498-425D-9180-E47EAF08DCCC_zps

f9caab14-968a-49b1-abd3-d607d467c245_zps

F1E6AFFE-A6EF-469A-BBE6-02B57DF7480A_zps

2558DD24-00C3-470A-9D72-C66C2AAE1FFD_zps

DBB378D4-DAC8-49BF-85F1-9DDBD972BDF1_zps

Edited by CRE1992
  • Like 3

nylyon

In 1991 I bought a brand spanking new 1990 Laredo,  100% fully loaded including A/C .  I paid a whopping $13,000 for the Jeep and it was likely the best vehicle I owned.  I put 110,000 miles on it, many off-road and sadly traded it in in 1997 for a "family" car.  Aside from flipping the Jeep, it went just about anywhere I wanted it to, and without a lift.

Loved that XJ!  Oh, when I traded it in, I got $9,500!

• Like 4

kaiser

check your brake lines, they rot fast. i have seen mint jeeps (any thing mopar really) come in for brake lines, more then once. my friend had to replace his 4 times on is mint 98 wrangler.

• Like 2

CRE1992

check your brake lines, they rot fast. i have seen mint jeeps (any thing mopar really) come in for brake lines, more then once. my friend had to replace his 4 times on is mint 98 wrangler.

My brake lines have been completely replaced with stainless steel brake lines. From master cylinder to calipers. Thanks for the tip though.

Edited by CRE1992
  • Like 1

squonk

I remember working at a Jeep dealer in 91 on Christmas Eve Day. Got to take out a 4.0L H.O. model out and road test it as some local hot shot bought it for his son for Christmas. Plopped it into an abandoned parking lot with about 3 ft. of snow. Put it in 4 low and let it EAT!  :)  :helmet:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

RMCIII

Present owner of a 1998 5.9 Limited Cherokee... Had a CJ-7 1982, but it was no mud machine. Much too nice for mudding. The 304 was putting out 320hp... Also had a J-10 when I was a teenager... AMC/Jeep, Wheelhore...

• Like 1

redidbull

I have been into Suzuki Samurais and still have the one we bought new in 87. It is a hardtop but I have owned a soft top and even had an X90 which is a 2 seater. I am currently rebuilding the hardtop. I also own a Jeep, a 95 Grand Cherokee with a 5.2L V8. Thing really moves. Jim

• Like 2

Joefrommi65

I picked up this wrangler I traded for a boat I bought brand new in 2002 that I couldn't live without. It has some torque box rust issues from sitting but drivable it also came with factory half doors and a soft top, we have been doing some rustic camping out on the state land so I figured a Jeep to do some two tracking would give me and my family more fun than the boat.

post-12485-0-61621300-1399119195_thumb.j

• Like 1

squonk

I used to be amazed back in the 80's. Jeeps came in all the time with the owners thinking they blew the tranny or clutch. We would find the puny woodruff keys sheared off for the rear wheels. I couldn't believe something designed for off roading would have this setup driving the rear hubs. Heck the WH keys were bigger!

• Like 1

Hodge71

I have a 1994 YJ I bought about 8 years ago with a little over 100k on the clicker. Philly Jeep no rust, great frame, unfortunately its the 2.5 4banger. Since then its gone through quite the transformation if I do say so myself. After using it for a daily driver for a couple years the springs were shot so a set of 4 inch lift Trailmaster springs and nitro shocks, steering stabilizer, and 1 1/4" over shackles for a total lift of around 5 inches. Its had a couple different soft tops on it since I got it. Currently it runs a Bestop 30 oz sailcloth top thats the quietest warmest soft top I've ever seen hands down. It had 235/75-15s donuts post-1339-0-56300000-1399209689_thumb.jp from the factory with 4.10 gears...lets just say it was never a highway monster. I changed tires a couple times in the last 160K miles I put on her. Went from the 235s to 29 BFG all terrain T/As and ran the crap out of them. Last year I got me a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs in 33x12.50-15post-1339-0-87173400-1399210037_thumb.jp and it roll with an attitude now. I can't use 5th gear at all on the interstates around here with all the hills but cruises at 70 in 4th gear all day barely turning 3000 RPM...right in the middle of the power band. It has suffered a little at low speed wheeling because 1st gear is a bit higher now, but when Im into anything serious its in 4 low and I see no noticeable change there. I love my little YJ. Next thing to upgrade is going to be the axles. with 260,000 on them the rear is getting a bit loose and I don't want to snap one of these cheap c-clip axles on the Dana 35s or the 30 up front......heres some pics...she don't look bad for 260,000 miles.

post-1339-0-15036600-1399209744_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-36302000-1399209804_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-06005400-1399209864_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-10065900-1399209951_thumb.jp

• Like 2

CRE1992

I have a 1994 YJ I bought about 8 years ago with a little over 100k on the clicker. Philly Jeep no rust, great frame, unfortunately its the 2.5 4banger. Since then its gone through quite the transformation if I do say so myself. After using it for a daily driver for a couple years the springs were shot so a set of 4 inch lift Trailmaster springs and nitro shocks, steering stabilizer, and 1 1/4" over shackles for a total lift of around 5 inches. Its had a couple different soft tops on it since I got it. Currently it runs a Bestop 30 oz sailcloth top thats the quietest warmest soft top I've ever seen hands down. It had 235/75-15s donuts attachicon.gifIMG_0244.JPG from the factory with 4.10 gears...lets just say it was never a highway monster. I changed tires a couple times in the last 160K miles I put on her. Went from the 235s to 29 BFG all terrain T/As and ran the crap out of them. Last year I got me a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs in 33x12.50-15attachicon.gifIMG_2147.JPG and it roll with an attitude now. I can't use 5th gear at all on the interstates around here with all the hills but cruises at 70 in 4th gear all day barely turning 3000 RPM...right in the middle of the power band. It has suffered a little at low speed wheeling because 1st gear is a bit higher now, but when Im into anything serious its in 4 low and I see no noticeable change there. I love my little YJ. Next thing to upgrade is going to be the axles. with 260,000 on them the rear is getting a bit loose and I don't want to snap one of these cheap c-clip axles on the Dana 35s or the 30 up front......heres some pics...she don't look bad for 260,000 miles.

Thats a bad looking wrangler! Sorry for just getting back to this thread now ive been all over the place. Is you steering squirrely at higher speeds because of the lift shackles? Mine is, so I am replacing the 1.5" lift shackles and 4.5 lift leaf springs with a set of 6" lift leaf springs and stock shackles up front. Also did you do a slip yoke eliminator on the transfer case? Mine is built for offroading, but I do enjoy driving it around town and blasting music at the same time.

Within the last 2 months, I have replaced a lot of parts. A new custom rear driveshaft because I decided to be stupid $400 lesson learned. 2 Brand new front hubs, 2 new rear leaf spring packs, a new radio, 2nd speaker bar with kicker 6.5 speakers, heavy duty rear diff cover, fluid flushes. And most recently a starter. And I forgot new headlights, a winch, and an LED bar.

Next on the agenda is: 6" lift leaf springs for the front, cap, rotor, and wires, a new trans because mine is grinding like a SOB, get the seats reupholstered with marine grade vinyl, and new tube fenders for the front.

10520148_1499956246883095_814744882_n.jp

Edited by CRE1992

Tim Bergfeld

Always wanted a jeep but I like to kick it old school with a CJ 7

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Brings back memories. Here is my '78 Jeep Cj-7 back in 1979. I had Armstrong TruTracs mounted which were a perfect all-around tire. Nice clawing in mud and air down for running the sand dunes in Michigan.

We use to regularly go 4-Wheeling (belonged to a club) about two hours southwest of Chicago near the town of Wilmington, IL. There was land that had been strip mined around the turn of the century that was perfect for getting in the dirt.

I also remember doing a circle trip to Colorado, South Dakota and Wyoming that year when 55 mph was established to conserve fuel. The county mounties were running radar every two miles it seemed! The soft top was like a tent in a 55 mph wind for the three days it took - just to get to Denver.

post-3066-0-04868000-1407239051_thumb.jppost-3066-0-16301900-1407239059_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Hodge71

Thats a bad looking wrangler! Sorry for just getting back to this thread now ive been all over the place. Is you steering squirrely at higher speeds because of the lift shackles? Mine is, so I am replacing the 1.5" lift shackles and 4.5 lift leaf springs with a set of 6" lift leaf springs and stock shackles up front. Also did you do a slip yoke eliminator on the transfer case? Mine is built for offroading, but I do enjoy driving it around town and blasting music at the same time.

Within the last 2 months, I have replaced a lot of parts. A new custom rear driveshaft because I decided to be stupid $400 lesson learned. 2 Brand new front hubs, 2 new rear leaf spring packs, a new radio, 2nd speaker bar with kicker 6.5 speakers, heavy duty rear diff cover, fluid flushes. And most recently a starter. And I forgot new headlights, a winch, and an LED bar.

Next on the agenda is: 6" lift leaf springs for the front, cap, rotor, and wires, a new trans because mine is grinding like a SOB, get the seats reupholstered with marine grade vinyl, and new tube fenders for the front.

10520148_1499956246883095_814744882_n.jp

I dont have death wobble and all I did with my transfer case was put a 1 1/2" lowering kit on it. Still factory driveshaft and drive train. No vibrations, wiggles or anything else even at 85MPH. I personally think you're spending a ton of wasted money on a 6 inch lift. Whats your plan that you need that much lift. With leafs its going to be a very rough ride. Unless you plan of running 40's or larger You would be better to spend your money on a spring over kit and get 5 1/2 inches and use factory soft ride springs. Ive been doing this for almost 10 years now and 6" lifts are way too much money for the hassle they cause. Also unless you had a double cardan rear drive shaft built with the splined slider you'll need a new driveshaft with a 6 inch lift and you're  going to need a new front shaft as well. Do as you like, Im just trying to lend you some of my 20/20 hindsight of the things Ive seen and learned

Edited by hodge71

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Here's minepost-12073-0-00539000-1408068403_thumb.jpost-12073-0-43379500-1408068462_thumb.jpost-12073-0-89716000-1408068507_thumb.j

• Like 3

C-85

I don't have a Wrangler, I've got a "real" Jeep, a '79 CJ-5!

To be a real Jeep, it must have round headlights and leaf springs :dance:

C-85

DSC_0149_zpsd68c4d58.jpg

• Like 4

nhunt308

u7ebujy2.jpge4upu9a8.jpg

Not pictured 89 yj, 97tj, and 93yj. Unfortunately I am without a jeep right now... but hopefully not for long

CRE1992

I dont have death wobble and all I did with my transfer case was put a 1 1/2" lowering kit on it. Still factory driveshaft and drive train. No vibrations, wiggles or anything else even at 85MPH. I personally think you're spending a ton of wasted money on a 6 inch lift. Whats your plan that you need that much lift. With leafs its going to be a very rough ride. Unless you plan of running 40's or larger You would be better to spend your money on a spring over kit and get 5 1/2 inches and use factory soft ride springs. Ive been doing this for almost 10 years now and 6" lifts are way too much money for the hassle they cause. Also unless you had a double cardan rear drive shaft built with the splined slider you'll need a new driveshaft with a 6 inch lift and you're  going to need a new front shaft as well. Do as you like, Im just trying to lend you some of my 20/20 hindsight of the things Ive seen and learned

Actually for me just replacing the front springs would be the cheapest route. However I decided that I am going to do a spring over kit. With new springs. I just picked up front and rear tube fenders. So this weekend (sunday), hopefully I will have all new tie rod and drag link ends and my tube fenders installed!

AMC RULES

I'd take a look at this one if it ever becomes a reality.   :confusion-shrug:

Wayne

No Wrangler, but a '93 grand, trimmed fenders and a 4" lift, 33x12.50's, 5.2L v-8, lightly modified. tubular adjustable lang arms, 1/4" custom rocker panels, etc. etc. :)

Jim_M

I've got a couple pairs of Wranglers and some Levis too.

• Like 1

Wayne

LOL, they did make a levi's  cj  back in the '70's came with denim upholstery :)

AMC RULES

Yep...Gremlins, and Hornets too.