nyquil junkie

I need to idiot proof this shifter

nyquil junkie

See this shifter? It sits pretty high.

I am short, so when I get off this tractor, I kick the shifter.

a few times it took off in 3rd. Yesterday it took off and the tire chain gabbed my leg and the thing ran over me. I have chain bites up my leg and down my arm. lucky it nosedived into a culvert or it may have dragged me along with it across the barnyard.

A after my wife stopped screaming in horror at watching that she said you need to fix that &$%#! thing. I said its ok 'Ive done that before.

She turned white.

I said its ok, at least it wasnt that 2 ton Kobuta we almost bought, right?

She said please fix it. My badly bruise hip agrees. Time to idiot proof the thing.

a parking brake is an obvious idea. This one was not equipped with ont or if it was, its gone. Probably wouldnt do any good with that gear reduction setup i put on, you can stand on the brake and it still moves. Not as fast but it goes.

I thought why not shorten the shifter and remove the knob. Thats option #1. If the top of the sifter is below that sheet metal, then its an almost soved problem. Dunno if I can shift it if I do, it shifts easy so it probably will work. reverse and 1st is mostly what is used anyway.

Uption #2 is to bolt gaurds on eiter side to keep the idiot (me) from kicking it when I get off. but that would mean I have to lift my leg higher and fall on my a$$ half the time.

Option 3# is to rig some kind of clutch lock to keep the belt disengauged unless I relese the pedal. A parking brake probably would do the same thing come to think of it. if the belt is slack its not going anywhere.

Shutting the thing off every time i jump off it is not really practical.  When I got up off the grounf she said doesnt it have a dead man switch under the seat?

I said no... its a little before dead man safety switches under the seat dear. Besides, the first thing a real man does is bypass those things.

lol

Ideas?

Yes its chopped and beat up but it still out works even my nephews quad. Slow traction wins the day.

Unfortnately it can also kill short idiots like me.

I thought running boards and better fender/wheel gaurds might help too. If I have to stand up on the running board I probably wouldnt kick the shifter or if I did I would be in a better position to jump clear.

tractor2_zpsfc0377f8.jpg

AMC RULES

I wonder if you cut it's length, shorten the shifter down lower might help?  

stevasaurus

Please do not take this the wrong way...I have been following some of your threads...I have to say...you have picked the right avatar.  :ychain::)

Obviously, the right thing to do (so you might make it to 30 years old) is to shut it down before you dismount that horse.  That is the right thing to do. :eusa-think:

• Like 6

nyquil junkie

If I can still shift it with a stubby stick, thats probably the simple most foolproof way. That thing can be hit by more than getting off the tractor.

I can always repair the stick and weld it back together if not.

A parking brake would also be hand on hills. Did they put them on the 855/856?

Maybe I can retrofit one on from a different year. Drifting is also a problem in some places.

I made it to 48 so far.  lol

• Like 1

can whlvr

how about a clutch hold down rod,it could be made to push it on with your left hand while pushing the clutch,then when you get on disengage it,it would require a little creativity but could work out well

multihobbyguy

It has been awhile since I have had one so I maybe wrong but isn't the circled item your parking brake?

tractor2c.jpg

• Like 1

groundhog47

Option 4,5, or 6. Fab a hinge type flap with a lock in place notch, which when placed in mid position, neutral, and flap folded downward, sideways movement is prevented. The older standard shift fire trucks have a lock in instead of lock out to insure when in pump mode, shifter stays in place (Fireman proof).  They actually have all diff arrangements (old pumpers) as simple as a ring or eye on shifter and a hook that disallows movement. I think all of us have dismounted WH when running, I've even hand clutched and walked beside as moving but only in Low 1 at idle. Yours would run equivalent of high 1, but only mentioning as we all sometimes make mistakes. :handgestures-thumbup:

Also do like idea of running board, keeps your Wranglers from pinching home and ripping the crouch seam! :oops: 

• Like 3

chazm

Please do not take this the wrong way...I have been following some of your threads...I have to say...you have picked the right avatar.  :ychain::)

Obviously, the right thing to do (so you might make it to 30 years old) is to shut it down before you dismount that horse.  That is the right thing to do. :eusa-think:

I' m with Dino on this one ... I always shut my horse down when I dismount, just to avoid the chain marks you stated... :eusa-doh:

• Like 1

SALTYWRIGHT

MY GT-14 RAN OVER ME WHEN I HIT THE GEAR KNOB WHEN GETTING OFF THIS WINTER. IT TOOK TWO TO GET ME OUT FROM UNDER THE TRACTOR. NOW I SHUT IT OFF BEFORE GETTING OFF. I AM TOO OLD TO DO IT AGAIN.  RUSS

• Like 2

nyquil junkie

It has been awhile since I have had one so I maybe wrong but isn't the circled item your parking brake?

tractor2c.jpg

No that's the latch that holds the seat and fenders down. If that's unlatched and you pop the clutch you, the seat, and the fenders flip backwards.

Ask me how I know this.... lol

buckrancher

there should be a parking brake lever mounted on the clutch brake lever by the brake band

should be the same setup as the early sixties tractors on this one you step down on the brake pedal and push it all the way down and move the small parking brake lever forward to

lock it on the front of the brake band maybe you are missing the parking brake lever?

Brian

• Like 1

nyquil junkie

Yes I am missing that part I suppose. There is no lever on the brake band setup.

Anyone have a pic of what is should look like on an 855/856?

Edited by nyquil junkie

stevasaurus

I have an 857...should be the same set up.  I do not have any pictures of that at the moment, but, if no one comes up with pictures for you to night...I will try to get some for you tomorrow (Monday).  You are lucky you did not have a mower deck running when that happened.  I have a couple of friends that do not have 8 fingers and 2 thumbs now. :bow-blue:

You have to know that it is not cool for anyone on this site to help you set up something that is not safe.  I for one, would not want to point you in a direction rigging something up...and then find out you got hurt.  Food for thought. :eusa-think:

BTW...I never thought I would reach 30 either.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1

pfrederi

Parking Brake is item 51 on the parts list.

My Lawn Ranger has a similar parking brake.  In 47 years neither my father nor i have ever got it adjusted so that it would work well.  One reason I love my L107 it is easy to get on and off.

post-1023-0-97848900-1398086674_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-40719900-1398086688_thumb.jp

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

nyquil junkie

I think I see in that diagram the pieces that are missing. That lever should hold the clutch pedal in and the belts disengaged.

I will have to draw it back home this weekend and work on it.

Safe is a relative term, one would think that gear shift is safe but it isn't.

If I can put the right parts on there to make the parking brake / clutch hold work properly then the problem will be solved.

No mower deck on this one. Mowing grass is the cows job.

• Like 1

nyquil junkie

A tight photo of an 855/856 comparable years setup would be a lot of help.

stevasaurus

nyquil...got to tell ya...your horse should be like my 857.  Here is couple of pictures...I do not have a parking brake either...nor does it look like one was ever there.  Our tractors should be about the same.  See what you think...I was all over this a few minutes ago.  This is the kind of thing that just does not disappear...the parts would be hanging there...even if they did not work.  See if this looks like yours.  :)  It looks like piece 51 is missing and sets on piece 48 (in the drawing above) and when pushed forward one of the notches hits on the top of the brake shoe...thus locking it brake shoe on the drum.  If so...this is the same piece that is on the 502, 702 etc.  I was able to find this at a show and made a drawing of it.  I needed it for my 502.  Check the drawing...you can make this...or I can look for you at some the swaps coming up and send you one.  Let me know what you think.

2013_04239570002_zpsd6507a98.jpg

2013_04239570001_zpsbe0e5789.jpg

2013_0424a0001_zps75351129.jpg

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Your setup should be similar to the parking brake assembly from my '68 Commando...

which I've shown here for reference.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

post-3498-0-63824400-1398115948_thumb.jp

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Yes Craig...that is it exactly.  great picture...thanks Craig.  :)  I think Glen Pettite sells the plastic part that goes on the handle.  Notice where the spring is in Craig's picture...I did not have that hole in the piece for the 502 (not needed there...it mounts a little different)...but the hole is there for the spring if that brake piece is not there.

Looks like I am looking for that piece also. 

What a team... :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

Humm...there is a 1056 parking brake lever/lock on Ebay now...

item # 141216711172. 

Looks completely different from the Commando unit I included here.  

I'll stop helping now.   :confusion-shrug:

stevasaurus

If I need to...and I just might want to...I can take the part off of my 702 and see if it works on my 857.  If so...that is the part you need for your horse nyquil.  Might take me a few days...the 702 is in a different pasture. :eusa-think:

buckrancher

I think the part # your looking for is #5544 for a 857

• Like 1

squonk

If you make something idiot proof, a better idiot will come along!

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Practice the rear back flip dismount till you land on your feet 95% of the time.  Then work on the TOM MIX style over the rear mount.....  Only way to mount a HORSE with style.

Wifey will be impressed.   :scared-eek:  :popcorn:

• Like 4

nyquil junkie

Yep it is just like that stevasaurus. From the pic I am pretty sure this also holds the clutch pedal down and thus keeps the belt disengaged.

Which will fix the multiple problems, IE locking the brake, and locking the belt in the slack position....

No need to bob the shifter.

This weekend I will bring it back to the workshop and idiot proof it. I will make sure this is the piece I need and set out to get one.

Or make one off that pattern, I have some plate steel that's just about the right thickness for that thing.

Thanks a million guys!