Shawn Harrington

C-162 Wheelhorse? I'd love to get.. but not comfortable with engine work!!

gwest_ca

It is a 1974 C-160 8-Speed model 1-0385.

Garry

Shawn Harrington

Garry,

This is the best forum hands down..  is the listing incorrect on the engine?  is it a kohler ? 

Thanks,

Shawn

gwest_ca

This will help

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/3494-tractor-1974-c-160-8-speed-details-attachmentspdf/

You can also search the Manuals library here at RS for 1-0385

Early on this engine was named an HH-160 but shortly after they changed it to OH-160 to distinguish between the flat head engines and the overhead valve engines.

Garry

• Like 1

Shawn Harrington

Thanks Garry!  I'll check it out.

rmaynard

I remember back in 2011 there was a thread on the C-162. TT provided "evidence" of it's existence in the form of a list. However, he later theorized that the mistake was made when someone said something like "that's a C-160 too ", thereby being misinterpreted as C-162. There have been no pictures of an actual decal (from Wheel Horse, not vinylguy) that shows the designation C-162 as far as I know.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Man if that was close to me, Id buy it just for the tractor and the deck. Then throw a Briggs or Kohler on it. The deck looks clean. Deck alone would fetch 250 in my area. Nice looking machine.

Edited by Wishin4a416
  • Like 1

KC9KAS

I am looking at a printed list I have and the 1-0385 is listed as a C-162.

I don't remember where I got the list from, but it was a Wheel Horse based forum.

gwest_ca

Found the C-162 in this list

I am convinced that Toro used this product service bulletin to identify the products because there are mistakes and typos in it that they carried over. The 1969 and 1970 tractors are mixed together and this is where they made the mistaken model year for the 1-6041 Raider 10.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/134-wh61-90-301e-engine-cross-reference-1955-thru-1984pdf/

Garry

JackC

Wasn't there a time when Wheel Horse was having problems sourcing Kohler engines due to a strike or something like that so they temporarily switched to the Tecumseh engines?

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Cable
      By Cable
      For sale is a 1986 Wheel Horse model 420LSE. Tractor has 1478 hours.  It is a survivor of many hours of mowing but  equal hours of TLC maintenance.  It never spent a night outdoors or got rained on.  The engine is a Kohler M20.

Included in the sale; a complete set of new decals, owners manual, parts manual, key, key fob unique to 420LSE, Wheel Horse zippered document case, chrome hitch pin, and hair pin and a collection of 1986 Wheel Horse sales literature.

Questions or comments are welcome at cable_bruce@ao.com

• Jennifer
      By Jennifer
      Well got my new weight yesterday!  My valentines gift from my husband now has the front weight less likely to pop those wheelies!!!!  There might be enough power still but doubt it…. He bought me the RJ from David in Arkansas a few years back we posted on the trip!  The moment we saw the ad on here about the front weight we had to have it!  Seize the moment, don’t know when ever come across another for sell…!  So here I just wanted to share pictures of it!  My tractor is a bit dirty from winter setting but i wipped it down just a little for the photo opt!!  

• DennisThornton
      By DennisThornton
      1947 Empire (Jeep) Tractor

The Empire tractor consisted of military power components from World War II-era jeeps. It had a 4-cylinder, 40 hp Willys-Overland engine, a Model T-84 Spicer 3-speed transmission, Spicer transfer case with high and low speeds, Willys rear end, steering column and gearbox. It also had PTO, individual clutch-type rear brakes with a stop provided for parking and a rear belt pulley. The fuel tank and an Empire-style seat were mounted on a large operator's platform (made from Navy ship decking). Its simple, basic gauges (ammeter, oil pressure and temperature), ignition switch and starter button also came from the jeep. The Empire tractor was originally made for exportation in the Lend-Lease Program after World War II. 

If I had to mention a couple of things that made the Empire Tractor really unique, one would be the straight bar hitch that pulled from under the center of the tractor (patented) thus making an overturn nearly impossible. The other selling point was, of course, the Willys engine and drive train made famous in the Jeep during World War II. The Empire was a well equipped tractor, very reliable and versatile with its wide range of speeds. Today this tractor draws a lot of attention at shows and is very sought after by collectors commanding higher than average prices. 
      $5k