WH520

312-8 clutch problem

WH520

Hello everyone, been awhile since I've been on here.

About 6 months ago I bought a 312-8 and it's been running great. Tonight I was trying to push something with it that I knew I shouldn't and now I have a problem.

The tires were spinning and I pushed in the clutch to put it in neutral, a few minutes later I went to put it in reverse and the clutch pedal would not move at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start?

Edited by WH520

can whlvr

check the gas shock ,if it has it,then see if the arm that the pulley rides on is jammed,maybe the belt is bound up in it

bmsgaffer

There is not too much to damage on the 'clutch' system since you are only just releasing a belt.

Check that the belt has not jumped the pulley (can happen with a worn belt with extreme maneuvers, ask me how i know!), It could be trapped back there holding the clutch.

Just noticed that can whlvr touched on the same thing!

WH520

Thanks. I was going to check the belt but after pulling it out with the quad and pushing it back to the driveway I was sick of looking at it lol. It didn't make any strange noises or anything prior to this and the engine sounds like its laboring while in neutral. That tells me it has to be something fairly simple like the belt being bound up.

I'm fairly new to the 8 speeds. I've always had hydros in the past so bear with me guys!

What I'm doing is widening my drive up about 10 feet and I filled in my 4' deep ditch with brick. I figured I'd try to spread the brick out with the plow on the Wheel Horse. As it turns out the old pig won't move it.......no matter how hard you hit it lol.

Edited by WH520

boovuc

I'm guessing the gas shock if equipped or just a linkage issue in general. If the belt was jammed up, you would know it.

ericj

there is also a roll pin in the linkage on the side of the frame that shears off sometime. bought a tractor once the po said it needed a clutch but it was only the roll pin sheared

eric j

hm12460

Thanks. I was going to check the belt but after pulling it out with the quad and pushing it back to the driveway I was sick of looking at it lol. It didn't make any strange noises or anything prior to this and the engine sounds like its laboring while in neutral. That tells me it has to be something fairly simple like the belt being bound up.

I'm fairly new to the 8 speeds. I've always had hydros in the past so bear with me guys!

What I'm doing is widening my drive up about 10 feet and I filled in my 4' deep ditch with brick. I figured I'd try to spread the brick out with the plow on the Wheel Horse. As it turns out the old pig won't move it.......no matter how hard you hit it lol.

Not a good idea at all. You risk damaging the frame where it bolts up to the transaxle.

WH520

It ended up being the simplest repair I've ever done. The return spring for the clutch was caught on the brake so all I had to do was pull back on the pedal and it freed up.

chevrat68

I tried moving a Farley large rock and next thing I knew I had a posi rear end. Wound up blowing the dif.

can whlvr

I was pulling a large granite bolder and it hooked a tree root,beforw I knew what happened the rtractor was on top of me with the tires still flailing away,with the chains on,broke a rib and was very sore