Uncle Buck

So what is this one worth?

Uncle Buck

post-11696-0-55810400-1396487436.jpg

Supposedly only missing the hood.

BTW: He says it is from the 1940's LOL :laughing-rofl:  I see $50 here, am I wrong???

Jokes aside, any idea what year it is? I think it is a Suburban, I notice it has the later axle, and the multi deck adjustment ability and the seat I am sure are all indicators, I also notice it has the earlier transmission though. Beyond that I know nothing!

Edited by Uncle Buck

Uncle Buck

I guess I overestimated the knowledge base of folks here. Eighty five views of this post and not one person has any clue what the remains of a tractor in the image might be worth. Strange, nor does anyone have the slightest idea of the age, year or model of this machine?

It wasn't like I originally posted this at midnight either when most folks are sleeping, but rather just after 8 pm you might note.

Wheel-N-It

Uncle Buck, Roundhoods are not my thing but if one of my friends brought it to my house to sell I'd give them $40 just so I could have the seat and fenders.

• Like 1

Uncle Buck

Uncle Buck, Roundhoods are not my thing but if one of my friends brought it to my house to sell I'd give them $40 just so I could have the seat and fenders.

Thank you for the reply. Maybe you actually hit on the real issue, more of an overestimation of the number of roundhood guys than anything else. Perhaps my $50 estimate is not that far off either.

Wheel-N-It

Its not that far off Uncle Buck. The rest of the tractor has to worth $10

rydogg

Based on the hood stand I believe this is a 1960 Suburban so it would be a 400 or 550 model.  I my opinion it's worth more in parts I have sold 2 suburban rj fender/toolbox setups for $150 each.  I wouldn't wanna go deeper than $150 for the whole thing.  Hood and correct fuel tank are gonna run you around $150 than you also need throttle/choke cables and ignition switch....correct engine is gonna be another $100 or so.

Edited by rydogg

Racinbob

I agree with rydogg, a Surburban 400 or 550. The brake pedal looks different that the 400 I just brought home yesterday. Maybe making it a 550???? It's worth $50 for just the fenders/toolbox, seat and steering wheel. I'd suggest buying it and contacting me. I see some parts I need :eusa-shifty:

Uncle Buck

Thank you fellas, I do appreciate the thoughts and guidance here.

rwilson

The fenders are worth 50. the seat maybe 25. trans I would pay 50 if it rolls. offer 50 but I wouldnt go over 75.

AMC RULES

Definitely worth more in parts than as a whole.

Uncle Buck

Anyone see this as a salvageable candidate for restoration, assuming that all thing is missing is the hood? I see how it is worth more in parts as it exists, but I would think it could yet be saved myself. Am I alone in that thought???

Racinbob

Sure, it can be saved. Apparently there's more there than the picture shows. You'd have to spend a lot of time looking for parts and it could get costly but, for me, the part hunt is a part of the fun. Now ask me if I still think that when I get my 400 done.

Uncle Buck

Sure, it can be saved. Apparently there's more there than the picture shows. You'd have to spend a lot of time looking for parts and it could get costly but, for me, the part hunt is a part of the fun. Now ask me if I still think that when I get my 400 done.

Personally, I prefer mine as original as reasonably possible. To me that means preserving or finding at reasonable cost everything I can, if something like the engine starts to go beyond what I would consider reasonable cost for my taste then I will compensate by shifting gears to another alternative that might not be correct for the machine, but will get the job done at considerably less cost to me. I don't value any of my machines enough that I want to be upside down cost wise in any one of them. To me, the real obstacle of the machine pictured would be the missing hood. It seems virtually any of the roundhood models are tough to find replacement hoods for and the further back you go the worse it gets. I suspect that even a rough Suburban hood would fetch a cost that likely I would not be willing to pay.

Jake Kuhn

Looks like a suburban 401...It is probably worth 100-150. The Fenders almost always sell for 100 bucks on ebay, and the trans is probably worth 50-75. If parted out you wouldn't lose anything...but as a whole 150 is the very top of what it would sell for.

• Like 1

bowtieguy

Sorry U Buck...but if it was sitting in my horse barn I'd probably pay YOU just to get rid of it!!!...then you would have TWO good deals from me. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Uncle Buck

Sorry U Buck...but if it was sitting in my horse barn I'd probably pay YOU just to get rid of it!!!...then you would have TWO good deals from me. :handgestures-thumbupright:

That one is likely closer to you than it is to me Frank. I won't chase it down, I am plum out of room in my stable!

Likely not quite as bad as the picture makes it. Put the wheels back on it and it would immediately look a world better. Dump the engine if it is incomplete and slap one of those HF Honda clone engines on it then find a hood and you would be well on your way ya know.

Edited by Uncle Buck

Kelly

Very nice parts machine as has been said, would need correct engine not the briggs on it, a hood, tank, belt guard, exh shield, choke/throttle cables, and more little stuff, about $400+ unless you find great deals, better off buying a nicer complete unit for $400 that needs little in the way of parts, but if this could be bought right and parted or hang on to key parts it might help fund the better machine, in parts I see $200-250 setting there, but might take a year to get that, could be parted for less faster.