19richie66

Project: Rough Draft

Racinbob

I like that Richie. Nice, clean setup and it looks like it gives you a bit more room behind the engine to do whatever you might need. By the way, only 224 days until the big show :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

19richie66

Great .... Nothing like a lil' pressure Bob. I'm trying like crazy to get this thing sorted out. I really want to take it to cruise around on. I want to get it going for the flywheelers show for a shakedown run.

• Like 1

smallblock450sl

Sorry for the delay my friend, but the struts went out yesterday.   Keep the faith, nothing worth building can be done overnight!    I have a Mikuni carb set up for a Vandgaurd.....think it would "liven up" that motor?  LOL

Stigian

That's great thinking using a steering rack like that :thumbs:

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:   I love the way some of our members come up with outside the box answers for life's little problems. As for the question of being too low, in my humble opinion there is no such thing as too low as long as it will role.  :text-lol: 

19richie66

Got a little more done in between rounds of tile and painting. Anyways I helped a friend of mine with his pro street 62 Falcon and he had a 4 gallon fuel cell left over from his last project that he gave me. I got excited because that was something I was trying to figure out as to which way I was going. I widened the bottom out of the tranny tunnel and added about 6 inches down the middle. A little more cutting, grinding and welding and I have a fuel tank mount. Fits perfect and bolts to the top of the tranny just like before. Getting ready to order some AN fittings and get it plumbed for fuel. Getting closer.

post-9187-0-59054300-1417650633_thumb.jp

post-9187-0-30964800-1417650656_thumb.jp

Had to add a picture of the falcon

post-9187-0-54716300-1417650738_thumb.jp

post-9187-0-36278800-1417650831_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Stigian

That fuel cell fit's a treat Richie, 4 gallons should give you quite a bit of range as well :thumbs:

Ken B

Very nice build you are doing! I'm lovin that 62 Falcon, pretty wicked!

AMC RULES

:scared-eek: Gonna take a gallon of Sta-bil to treat all that fuel.   :) 

smallblock450sl

Nice Richie!

Racinbob

That's awesome Richie. :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

19richie66

Well let's bring this back from the ashes. I have been working on it but i have been doing a lot of research on belts and trying to get my pulleys squared away. Finally got my drive system converted to a 5 rib serpentine belt which should be more than enough belt contact to keep from slipping and it flows nicely under the floorboard with two adjustable idlers. Found a guy in washington that built "survivalist" generator pulleys for converting large generators over to a belt driven diesel engine to turn them. Got a 4",8 rib drive pulley with sk bushing for that. Made a pulley "connector" so both the serp and V pulleys are through bolted and hold each other in place on the jackshaft. Got a v belt for driving the jackshaft so now I can get the clutch idler figured out. Finally starting to get somewhere.

post-9187-0-85717600-1428963927_thumb.jp

post-9187-0-46624600-1428963942_thumb.jp

post-9187-0-34333500-1428963958_thumb.jp

• Like 3

wallfish

That serpintine belt stuff is a good idea to sqeeze the belt into that small area and keep it safe from getting hit by anything.

19richie66

Got my header started today. I have to order some more bends and some straight pipe to finish it up. My son is finishing up welding school so I will see if he can work some of his tig magic on it. Plan on building a flat rectangular muffler for it and run it out the back. Also a shot of the trailer hitch I got started on also. It will have two risers that go straight up to form the support for the bench seat and hold the fuel tank.

post-9187-0-32746200-1431304630_thumb.jp

post-9187-0-49838400-1431304641_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Coadster32

Diggin the build for sure!!

19richie66

Got the dash mocked up and tacked today. It will house a volt meter, oil pressure guage, ignition and light switches.(and maybe a tach if I can find one). The two upright posts will be cut off and capped after the dash is all welded together.

post-9187-0-63892700-1431389153_thumb.jp

post-9187-0-16935400-1431389384_thumb.jp

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

19richie66

So here we are for round 2. I didn't like the way the frame looked. It had some rust, it sat crooked, at least to my eyes and just too many dang holes. So out came the plasma cutter, cut off wheel and welder and I made a new frame. Should have done this to begin with. Now she sits straight. Also had some new meats to put on the back but didn't have any 15" tractor wheels. Well I made me some. Took a set of 12" tractor wheels and cut out the centers. I welded them to some d-160 15" centers and then welded them into some 15x10 6 lug white spokes(after I cut the centers out of those). Now I have  some tractor wheels for my other tires left over from a mud golf cart project that ended. I have everything cut off the old frame and cleaned up, ready to put on the new frame.

new frame.JPG

new wheel 2.JPG

new wheel.JPG

new frame 3.JPG

I think those tires might be too tall...........maybe not.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 6

953 nut

I like Big and littles, makes for KOOL street rods; you have  BIG  and  littles.    :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Jparkes43

awesome!! its ok to change your mind mid project. its for the better!!

james

Pullstart

Made me go back and read it over, this is gonna be one sweet project!  One of my favorite rat rods until that V8 rod gets on the table!

19richie66

Sorry, the V-8 project took an early dump when I found out the motor was no good. Oh well, it looked like a cool idea in mockup. Never know what might happen in the future.

• Sad 1

Pullstart

oh bummer... I'm sure you could find one out of a junk yard that would motor that frame down the road just fine!

19richie66

So here we are. I decided to go hydro. Took the transmission I had and mounted it up to the new frame. I bought a set of 1.5" spacers but had to cut the inside out about a 1/4" deep and an 1/8" all the way around the backside to get it to fit over the axle centers. The lugs center it up anyways. So I got those mounted, tires on, made my serpentine hydro pulley out of a Buick grand national crank pulley and the stock pulley(turned down to fit inside the serp pulley). It's a little bigger in diameter but I don't think enough to hurt it. Besides the crank pulley is only 4.5" in diameter. Should be ok. I mounted up two idlers to route the belt around the filter and turn it forward. Thats all for today. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 6

wallfish

Nice to see your back at this project. LOOK'N GOOD

Racinbob

Wow! You certainly got busy after I quit bugging you this morning. That's looking great Richie. Perfect stance. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1