Hodge71

18 auto hydro lines...ugh I hate this tractor?!

Hodge71

Well today was the last straw..She finally gave up the ghost on the hydro line that was dripping. The drip went to a full fledged waterfall today while plowing 9 inches of heavy wet slop this morning. I was making my way to the end of the drive to make the first pass and I turned around at the end and saw little red drops following me in the fresh snow..I knew it didn't have long...I didn't realize it was going to be this short though. I knew the things been dripping so I have added to keep on top of it. It plowed the snow pretty well for how long the drive is and how heavy it was. I opened up the half mile long drive and noticed a change in power and pitch of the hydro pump on the last push...I checked and saw it had a pretty good stream running out but overall not too scary so I figured I better get back to the house. Checked the level and it was literally an 1/8th inch below full  so off I went...well let me tell you, in the minute and 30 seconds it took me to run the driveway I got to look back and the stream was blowing back 20 feet, I stopped and checked it by the house and decided I wasn't going any farther with how it was leaking. I went to back up to get it off the drive and into the little parking area I have by the house and it wouldn't go in reverse...uh oh is all thats going through my yea,, goes forward again...no backy backy....  Numerous 4 letter expletives flying out of my mouth now, got it off the drive and checked and the leak is spitting red foam out of her....Rampart.... she's aspirating...we're gonna lose her...Shut her down Rescue 51....check the dipstick...EMPTY!! Rampart get me an IV of D5-W stat...not an ounce of fluid showing...stick it in again 51...nothing Rampart...Oh sh**...not good 51....Johnny Gauge go get the gallon of tranny fluid....dumped it in and just registered to add...another half gallon back to full... Rampart we have stabilized the patient and are preparing to transport.... :auto-ambulance:

I finally got the front wheel welded up with Dad and this happened today...Pop affectionately refers to it as the biggest PIECE OF SH** Wheel Horse ever made....... :no: But I guess tomorrow once a little more snow melts the plow is coming off and I'm putting her in the Operating Room....I wonder if I will ever get this thing fixed that it doesn't need something...Just a little humor or I sure as heck would be crying by now.....

post-1339-0-66881600-1396300791_thumb.jp SHES A GUSHER!!!! Lost a gallon and a half in 1 minute...ZOINKS!! :scared-eek:

stevasaurus

Hodge...it is all about a little Rock & Rye and a lawn chair...sit back, have a short cigar and a sip...a little concentration (meditation) and the planets will align and the horse will breath life again.  90 % of the time...it is not as bad as it looks...hope you are not in the 10 %.  :)

• Like 1

varosd

Jeff,

Boy this story is bringing memories of a crotch full of tranny oil in a rain storm.  I did have to dig up some of my grass where the oily water drains off the driveway.  told the wife I just needed to reseed!

like Steve said. walk away, watch some paint dry...

• Like 1

pfrederi

Ouch!!

Hodge71

Oh I know it could be much worse guys.. the only thing worse than tearing that stinking line set out is pulling the pump.... Wednesday is gonna be a crappy day but hopefully it comes out without too much cursing. I know basically the seat and whole top end are coming off to make it easier

ericj

lancaster pa c/l has a d180 4 pipe manifold listed 4 $10.00

eric j

Hodge71

I saw it Eric. He wont ship it and I would spend $100 in gas to go pick it up.Im better off finding one on ebay for $25 with free shipping. I think I can fix this one...its leaking where the tube is brazed to the manifold. Once I get it out and clean, fixing it should  be a 5 minute process. Its more work to take the plow off, and get everything disassembled and the pipe removed (2 hours) than it is to fix it( 5 minutes). 

wheeledhorseman

Oh I know it could be much worse guys.. the only thing worse than tearing that stinking line set out is pulling the pump.... Wednesday is gonna be a crappy day but hopefully it comes out without too much cursing. I know basically the seat and whole top end are coming off to make it easier

While you're pulling the pump Jeff cast your mind back and ask yourself is this really worse than getting the pump back from that shop where they lost the motion control part of it?

Hope all goes well.

Andy

Hodge71

While you're pulling the pump Jeff cast your mind back and ask yourself is this really worse than getting the pump back from that shop where they lost the motion control part of it?

Hope all goes well.

Andy

Pump is staying put Andy. Just the lines are coming out this time. I believe I can do that without pulling that god forsaken pump out.....

AMC RULES

Am hoping the fix is an easy one Jeff...

as you deserve a break with this tractor. 

Hang in there buddy.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

ericj

i thought i could fix the 1 in my D160 once, and like you i work in hvac i don;t remember if i used oxy-acetylene or turbo torch but i'm pretty sure i used paste and roll of braze not the stick of 15% silver solder but i couldn't get it to work. good luck i hope it works for you

eric j

Hodge71

I have silver solder so Im going to give it a shot...welding is another option if brazing doesn't work. I'll figure out something between my Dad and I. Pretty much at my wits end with it. It seems like its always something. Not sure how the heck Im gonna cut 6 acres with it every week all for the next 6 months....

Thanks for the vote of confidence Craig!!

Edited by hodge71

boovuc

Jeez Jeff!

That machine has been a little unforgiving! Maybe an exorcism is in order!  

Hodge71

Jeez Jeff!

That machine has been a little unforgiving! Maybe an exorcism is in order!  

I know Boov....The ends gotta be in sight soon.....also just found out from the guy I rent the farm from were planting another 2 acres or so of grass in a big area that he dug up last year. So this 18 will be mowing about 8 acres a week..I hope it can handle it

bmsgaffer

8 ACRES PER WEEK!?

Even with a 60" deck, do you do anything else BUT mow? (Oh yea, fix your tractor :teasing-poke: )

I would invest in a set of these:

2500272_700x700.jpg

136" cutting width...

Hodge71

8 ACRES PER WEEK!?

Even with a 60" deck, do you do anything else BUT mow? (Oh yea, fix your tractor :teasing-poke: )

Boy you're a funny guy.....

jdmitchjr@6dlam.com

Hodge, you offered me some good information and good advice when I landed on the forum with a new D-180.  I was sorry to read about your line problem.  How goes the repair?

Best regards,

John

Hodge71

As of right now, I silver brazed the line and leak tested with 125 PSI air pressure and snoop... so far its good, no bubbles anywhere. I have backer rings coming and then I will install the line set next week. In the mean time I ripped into Dads 12 Automatic. Its been lacking some well deserved TLC. Got some welding to do on it then a fluid and filter change for the tranny, a new throttle cable, oil change and grease of the entire chassis and mower deck, sharpen blades and it will be ready to mow next week. First paycheck at the new job is goin to tires for her as well. Tired of seeing her with bald front sneakers and my Dad aint gonna change them....

Hodge71

Project update... hydro lines back on the tractor...everything reinstalled and took her for a ride tonight and beat the snot out of it coming up some big long steep hills around the farm and the leak is just about stopped. I would say 99% effective on the silver braze job. Put the 60 inch deck under her and cut some grass with her. I'd say it did ok for about 2 minutes and then the deck blew right off her. I didn't have the lift linkage hooked up and I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it but it pulled right out of the mid tach-a-matic. I need to figure out what the deal is with it. I can't believe not having the linkage is the issue. I wonder if a 400 pound deck is just too much for this tach-a-matic or is to that because its a foot longer that it increases the torsional stresses on the mid tach-a-matic? I'm getting discouraged again with this stinkin' thing. I know I need a belt 1-2 inches longer and I'll get the mid lift hooked up and see where it goes from there. C-160 with the 42" RD may end up being it the primary mower for the 6 acres. I hope to figure it out by next week before the grass is a foot tall....maybe the "FOR SALE" section of the classified is its next stop.... 

Edited by hodge71