bowtiebutler956

74 Case 444 Refurbish

bowtiebutler956

That is a beautiful tractor. Mind if I asked you how much you paid for it (pre restoration)?

I have no idea what the pricing is like in the Case world.

Thank you, and no I don't mind. After paying for fuel round trip to pick it up, I had $600 total into this Case with all of the attachments. I got a great deal on this machine! If this had been up north it would have brought much more, but there are very few garden tractor collectors down here in my part of the world. Thanks

Now thats what I call a BIG BOY TOY.... :icecream:

Nice job Matt ... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks chazm! It is a big garden tractor, and I'm really liking it!  :thumbs:

I finally got around to getting the Brinly plow that came with this 444 back in working order today. It was very rusty when I got it, as it had been sitting in the same place so long, that it was actually under the ground, with only parts of it above the surface!  :jaw:  I knew it was going to have rust pits, but after removing it from my E-Tank the rust pits had become rust canyons! :ychain:  Thats ok, as its for work, not show. I did give it a coat of paint to prevent further rusting, and it got all new adjustment hardware, and coulter wheel from Brinly. It seems to work very well, but I still need to do some adjusting on it. Here are a couple pics. Thanks

Matt  :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-52297800-1395789078_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-77263900-1395789080_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-98237600-1395789083_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-04530300-1395789087_thumb.jp

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

WOW , WOW & WOW ! 

B E A U T I F U L ! 

Thank you Sir, its appreciated! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

bmsgaffer

Wow that is a heck of a deal!

There are two up for sale around here, one for $1600 with mower deck and snow plow only, and one for $900 with brinley plow only.

• Like 1

Aussie

very very nice Matt and thank you for the photos

On my want list but rare over here, only one I have seen for sale went for big $$$ (not sure of model but was a twin with the hydraulic tiller

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Wow that is a heck of a deal!

There are two up for sale around here, one for $1600 with mower deck and snow plow only, and one for $900 with brinley plow only.

Yes I got a great deal on it, and while I have well over $900 in it now, I certainly don't have $1600 in it. I've stayed in contact with the previous owner, as it had been in their family since new, and they've really enjoyed seeing get refurbished. Thanks

very very nice Matt and thank you for the photos

On my want list but rare over here, only one I have seen for sale went for big $$$ (not sure of model but was a twin with the hydraulic tiller

Thanks for the kind words!  :thumbs:

I did get the front weights, and bracket painted today, so I'll have those pics up tomorrow.

Ken B

Awesome job on the refurb Matt! The tires really set it off. Back about 10 yrs. ago I had a Case 444 so I know what they are all about. Watching your video really makes me wish I kept mine. I can remember pushing 18 inches of snow with it like it was nothing, and it was a 54 inch blade. I'd love to see a video of it turning soil or the tiller in action...

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Awesome job on the refurb Matt! The tires really set it off. Back about 10 yrs. ago I had a Case 444 so I know what they are all about. Watching your video really makes me wish I kept mine. I can remember pushing 18 inches of snow with it like it was nothing, and it was a 54 inch blade. I'd love to see a video of it turning soil or the tiller in action...

Thanks Ken, that means alot, as you do fantastic work yourself! This 444 came with a 54" blade as well, but it never snows in my part of the country, so I guess its going to have to push some dirt.  :ROTF:  I'll post a video of it plowing very soon. Thanks

I did get the front weights painted, and put back on the tractor. Now they're both functional, and look good.  :ychain:  Factory Case wheel weights are very, very pricey!!  :jaw:  Especially if you want to add alot of weight, so I'll be using dumbbell weights on the rear. Each wheel will have 2- 50lb plates, and 2- 25lb in them, for a total of 300lbs.  This should give me plenty of traction for plowing, and I'll paint them to mach, so they don't look to bad.  :thumbs:  Thanks

post-6076-0-00417400-1395956205_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-78432400-1395956226_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-24670800-1395956259_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-71297500-1395956280_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-69175100-1395956339_thumb.jp

bowtiebutler956

Here are a couple pics with 150 pounds on the wheel. As you can see, I could easily add another 50-75 if I wanted too.  Hmmmm. 

post-6076-0-38823000-1395965354_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-33192800-1395965357_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-74570500-1395965359_thumb.jp

leeave96

What a great restore!!!!

• Like 1

rick

Nice work!

bowtiebutler956

What a great restore!!!!

Thanks for the encouraging words. :thumbs:

Nice work!

Much appreciated. :thumbs:

Well, its time for another update. I got the wheel weights painted, and on the tractor. While not as nice as OE wheel weight, they're very functional, and look decent. I'm currently running 115 pounds per wheel. 

I took the tractor out for a good workout today. We decided to expand the garden, and I decided to give the Brinly plow a go. This ground has never been broken before, and our soil is very, very hard to plow, till, etc..  Not to mention, this is the area we have been parking a big class A RV in the past, so it was well packed. While the plow works great, the tractor had a hard time keeping the plow moving. It did it, but it didn't like it!  :ychain: The pics below are of the hard packed soil.  After that, I ran the plow through an area that had been broken last year, and it ran down through that like nothing.  After breaking the ground with the plow, we hooked the tiller up, and finished it off. I also took a short clip of it tilling. I've ordered a hydraulic flow control valve for this Case, to help with tilling, and such. On Case Garden tractor, the travel control doesn't just increase/decrease speed, it also increases, decreases hydraulic pressure, so when your trying to go slow for tilling, your not putting much power to the ground either, so when you try to slow down, it ends up stopping, so you push the lever farther forward it goes to fast. Its very annoying, especially when your used to working with a :wh: that has an 8 speed. Gotta love those low gears on a Horse. Anyway, the travel control I ordered will allow a very slow ground speed, while still maintaining maximum power to the ground.  I'll try to get a better video soon. Thanks

post-6076-0-62381400-1396141442_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-29250900-1396141446_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-33300100-1396141492_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-83193100-1396141497_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-23617800-1396141504_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-15217400-1396141513_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-53087000-1396141521_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-31559700-1396141527_thumb.jp

• Like 5

leeave96

Now you done-n-gone and got it dirty!

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Now you done-n-gone and got it dirty!

I just had to do it!  :ROTF:

My travel control valve with the built in holding valve came in today. I haven't installed it yet, but I did remove the old one. I took a couple pics for comparison. The new one, is the one on the right side.  I also installed some Case decals on the front weights to make them look more official.  :ychain:

post-6076-0-10235300-1396569631_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-27022200-1396569634_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-78375100-1396569637_thumb.jp

• Like 1

RMCIII

Another nice refabrication of a Case.... But I gotta say, love the home made acid tank...... Give the man some water and an electric rod presto change-o, wha-la.... Moses brought back to life! :laughing-rofl:

papaglide

Real nice job! That tractor looks very cool and indeed does look like a big tractor.

bowtiebutler956

I finished all the upgrades to the hydraulic system on my 444. It consisted of replacing the travel control valve with a more modern one, with built in holding valve, which keeps the tractor from being able to gain speed on declines, and just helps with overall performance. The next upgrade was adding a flow control valve, which allows the tractor to go very slow, with full power to the wheels. Our wheel horses don't suffer from these short comings, but these Case GT's do. These Case tractors really are a very solid built machine, but they really should have had some of these features standard on them, and not optional. This 444 is now a pleasure to use for tilling, and I'm very happy with the way it performs. I still have a few brackets to make for holding the hydraulic hose from rubbing on things, but thats about all I have left to do. I've already built an exhaust shield to protect the bypass hose from heat, as well as making a control lever thats more user friendly. Here are a few pics. Thanks

post-6076-0-28202000-1398385824_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-27516500-1398385828_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-64041100-1398385831_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-55905800-1398385835_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-07936200-1398385839_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-38703700-1398385842_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-28469700-1398385846_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-20051400-1398385850_thumb.jp

Edited by bowtiebutler956
  • Like 2

bmsgaffer

Looking good. I would really love to have a tractor like that but they are just commanding way too much money around here... :bow-blue:

Quick question: With that heat shield bolted directly to the exhaust, wont it get just as hot as the exhaust? Usually there is an air-gap to let convection take care of some of the heat. If you turned it around and put the u-bolt on the bypass hose 90* adapter, it should prevent much more of that heat from getting to that hose. (or wrap the exhaust) :eusa-think:

I would hate to see that thing go up in flames!

• Like 1

RMCIII

Get some header wrap for that 1 hose next to the exhaust.

Looking good.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Looking good. I would really love to have a tractor like that but they are just commanding way too much money around here... :bow-blue:

Quick question: With that heat shield bolted directly to the exhaust, wont it get just as hot as the exhaust? Usually there is an air-gap to let convection take care of some of the heat. If you turned it around and put the u-bolt on the bypass hose 90* adapter, it should prevent much more of that heat from getting to that hose. (or wrap the exhaust) :eusa-think:

I would hate to see that thing go up in flames!

Thank you for the kind words, its appreciated. :thumbs: 

Just the front of the heat shield touches the exhaust, the rear (which is next to the hose) has a 1/4" air gap. Also, if you look at the 4th pic you see the engine cowling comes right up to my exhaust shield. All of the air cooling the engine exits right there, so it has a steady supply of air blowing through my heat shield. After tilling in the garden awhile, the hose was not unusually hot, so I think I should be ok, but I will certainly keep an eye on it. Thanks

elliot ness

Wonderful Job on the 444. :bow-blue:  :)  :)  :) :)  :)  

km3h

Glad I found this post. I have two of these machines and will most likely redo one over the winter if I can find the time. Also have the tiller and 3 pt hitch for both of them. Reading over this post and seeing how great this turned out has just made me decide to get at least one of them finished. You did a great job.

SousaKerry

I drive past one of these tractors almost every day near my house and it has only moved once in 2 years and I think that was just to get it out of the driveway.  I'm too chicken to stop and ask about it.  Keep hoping to see it for sale some day or for them to have a garage sale.

km3h

They are great tractors and very easy to work on. Very few parts and runs completely on hydraulics. Tough as nails. I have one apart and primed. Been sitting like that for three years. Even rebuilt the 14 HP Kohler. Seeing this thread has inspired me to get on it and put it back together. The other 444 runs like a champ and always starts. I just have too many tractor projects and sometimes feel overwhelmed. After I discovered Wheel Horse, I wanted nothing else. Something has to change around here.

bowtiebutler956

Thanks for all the encouraging words. This 444 has been a fantastic machine, and has logged quite a few hours in the garden already. So far so good, and I've really enjoyed its performance. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Aldon

I really like it. Great Job!

Makes me want one.