i967mustang

K341 block

i967mustang

I have two tractors with K341 engines in them. Does anyone know why one has 11 cooling fins and the other has 13? One has the plug center of the head and the 13 fin has the plug over the exhaust valve. Is one more desirable than the other?

bmsgaffer

I know of a 12 and a 13 fin.

The 13 fin is more desirable for pullers because the block is a little thicker for boring and running high RPM. I think for the average user running at 3600 RPM it makes no difference.

joel_400

How many head bolts does the one with the plug in the center have?

leeave96

I think all K341 engines had 10 head bolts. 11 vs 13, the 13 fin seems what the "informed" like, but not a deal breaker for me.

joel_400

Ten head bolts is what I was getting at. K341s also had the plug over the exhaust valve not in the center of the head. Thats why I asked the question. Maybe one of his is a 10-14 and not a 16. Just a thought.

Don1977

The heads with the spark plug over the exhaust valve are the latest design. According to Brian Miller these heads lessen the change of plug fouling from cold starts and help provide more power by retaining the majority of the heat in one area.