wheelhorse66

painting question?

wheelhorse66

Hi I'm getting ready to paint a tractor and a local told me to use rusteoloneum sunrise red.is this close to wheel horse red? Is it good paint?

Uncle Buck

Personally, I don't like Rust-O-Leum brand paint and only use the Rust-O-Leum  "Hammered Finish Line" paints. Rust-O-Leum paint takes forever to dry, I mean  FOR EV ERRRRRRRRRRR! I think the color is a correct match, but I would find any other brand myself!

KC9KAS

And some think the Rustoluem REGAL RED is a close match to the Wheel Horse red.

Kelly

I use automotive paint on my 99% of my tractors, BUT I do like the Regal red color it is a touch dark and spray can paint does take time to dry, but for spray can paint after it drys rust oleum is about as tough as you will find, but it takes a couple months to get 100% dry. 

This is one tractor I did do in rattle can Regal red, but the front weight and snow blade are orig. paint, you can see the difference there. 

If you click on pic it will view larger

post-85-0-85222000-1395397275_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kelly
  • Like 2

Rick_in_CT

Sunrise Red was a good match for my application, but as said, others find that Regal Red works for them.  I have had good luck with the Rustoleum on both a plow and snow blower.

Edited by Rick_in_CT

Ken B

Like Kelly, I also use automotive paints on most of my Restorations but in the case of this Suburban I figured why not use Rustoleum Regal red. Afterall, this was going to be my fun go to tractor that see's a ton of use (and it does) and at the time I really didn't care if it got scratches or faded in a few yrs. (and I still don't care) Whatever. After a full yr. since I painted it no fading and no scratches and anyone that sees it can't believe it when I tell them its Rustoleum. I've been using Rustoleum since my early teens, I'm almost 46 now so I have a pretty good idea of how to lay it on. The bottom line is you can spend ten times more for paint but if you don't know what you are doing it will still come out crappy but with a lot more money down the toilet...Kelly is our professional painter, I agree with him. For the money it is good paint.

009-12_zpsfcaf3c42.jpg

• Like 4

Mr. 856

whatever you decide to do just stay away from the junk they are selling at Tractor Supply.

• Like 2

leeave96

I've used sunrise red and like it. Never tried regal red, but will. Just don't try to put a heavy coat as rustoleum can run and if to cool can wrinkle.

Good luck,

Bill

Mr. 856

Anybody know if Duplicolor has anything close? What I really need to do is stop using rattle cans altogether and start using the concourse gun I purchased rom Eastwood a few months ago. Have all the tips. The right way to do it is with a gun and good paint. Not any of the stuff in a can will cure as hard or last as long. You need the hardeners you cant get in can you can buy at the store. I just did my 856 in cans and I have more chips then I count. good thing its going to be a worker. Id almost consider doing powder coat on a tractor in the future.

Digger 66

And some think the Rustoluem REGAL RED is a close match to the Wheel Horse red.

X - 2 ^

KATO

REGAL RED :handgestures-thumbupright:

post-6368-0-06472100-1395444272_thumb.jp

post-6368-0-58799200-1395444386_thumb.jp

• Like 5

rwilson

I use valsper tractor and implement in IH red.

Jake Kuhn

Its almost $10 a can, but you can still get whats left of the valspar restoration series IH red on amazon. It drys fast and is easy to spray. I usually paint my tractors with automotive paint, but the rustoleum isn't bad paint either. I did a rj58 a couple months ago and painted everything but the tins with rustoleum and it turned out well.

Tankman

Regal Red. Easy to work with, I use the rattle cans.

Sometimes I coat with clear crystal after the Rustoleum Regal Red has dried for a few days..or longer.

Foot rests get skateboard heavy duty grip tape. Great stuff!

post-8021-0-05874200-1395451073_thumb.jp

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Question, isnt it true that if you use rattle can rustoleum,,,spill gas on it,,,,paint gone?

just asking,,getting ready for the 854 paint, the kids will work the tractor,,lawn duties and my oldest Mike wants dad to get him a plow for snow. you fellas know where the gas fill is, right on top, I can see gas spillind over now, down the hood, tank, tank tower etc. dont want to see paint washing off after all this winter work. Any comments!,,,,

Glenn

Tankman

The Rustoleum Regal Red hasn't been hurt, damaged, or run at all when subject to a gas spill.

I do prepare the surfaces (sanding 'n elbow grease) and find the Rustoleum holds up well. I always coat at least twice.

I prefer the (I guess) deep red, Regal Red. Most always on the shelf at Home "Cheapo."

Foot rests, heavy duty skateboard tape and new decals from the Vinyl Guy!

post-8021-0-61411100-1395453556.jpg

post-8021-0-05221200-1395454024.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

roscoemi

I used Rustoleum  Sunrise Red on my C-121. It does take time to dry when it's not heated, but is damn near bomb proof when done. I have found that making sure the surface is about 80 degrees and stays that way the paint will cure in a day. I have used the pellet stove in my shed and the sun as heat sources and both work well.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thanks guys, will keep debating, just wasnt sure of what I had heard.

Tank,,,,looks like some good and happy work force you have there. Enjoyed those pics.

Glenn

Lets see how others chime in.

pacer

Sunrise red here - I was a big fan of Valspar til it died. I have found the Rustoleum to be very available - wally world, home depot... - inexpensive, comes in rattle can or bulk and I thinkis a pretty forgiving paint. Takes about 24hrs to handle, but really needs several days to dry dry and then is pretty bomb proof.

Frankly I'm a bit surprised at the number of Rustoleums users here - wasnt long ago most of these would be TSC/Valspar users (including me)

Here a couple of Sunrise red with almond wheels...

post-9681-0-98721900-1395471345.jpg

post-9681-0-48054600-1395471482_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Digger 66

Here's the Regal on my "freshened-up" worker :

IMG_0810_zpsa847404e.jpg

• Like 1

Tankman

X - 2 ^

X-3^

Wishin4a416

Rustoleum Regal Red on mine too. Its not a bad paint but it does not compare to Automotive. I have not had a drying problem, but I find it will chip easy enough if not careful. I use spray cans and quarts shot on with a gun for the bigger pieces.

post-8484-0-42872500-1395503403.jpg

• Like 2

Rboski

One more for Regal Red. I found that it took a little while to harden up for me.  Wish I had been a little more patient. Don't look too close.  

gallery_3621_325_245948.jpg

• Like 2

Mr. 856

nice tractor

Tankman

Rustoleum Regal Red on mine too. Its not a bad paint but it does not compare to Automotive. I have not had a drying problem, but I find it will chip easy enough if not careful. I use spray cans and quarts shot on with a gun for the bigger pieces.

Love the images. Wishin4a416's work looks awesome!

I might add, my 416-8 is a real worker! The 16 hp Kohler seems to be unstoppable.

Hope you find one Wishin4a416, we should all have one, or two, three would be nice.  :ychain: