Blash

520H cuts off after running for 2 minutes

Blash

Good morning all,

Just joined this excellent site, I just bought a 1991 520H with snow plow and a 1996 520H with a 60" deck, both ran when I bought them, now the 1991 will not turn over, I have power and a clicking noise at the relay but will not turn over, the 9 pin connector looks good with no obvious burnt connections, checked grounds, no issues. Now for the '96, my 1996 520H is having issues, it starts fine but only runs for about a minute and dies, sometimes it will start right back up, other times it will not start, it turns over but will not fire, when I come back to it the next day, it starts right up and runs for a minute or two then dies. Love both of these but I must say they are testing my patience, I had plans of using the '91 as my snowplow tractor and the '96 as my summer time mowing machine, right now they are sitting in my garage deader than a door nail!

Thanks for any help.

C-101plowerpower

sounds like the '96 is pulling a vacuum in the fueltank or something, i'm guessing it's fuel related.

Koen

WH nut

The 96 first.  The first thing you need to figure out is if its fuel or electrical. When it dies and wont start, pull a plug wire off and check for spark. More to follow when that question is answered.

The 91, you need to check the solenoids.  The frame mounted one is the most common culprit.  With the key in the start position make sure you are getting 12v to the trigger wire( small wire) . Make sure there is 12v on the large wire coming from the battery. If you have 12v on both wires, make sure you have 12v on the other large wire. If that proves good move to the starter. You need to have 12v at the large wire and 12v on the trigger wire with key in the start position.

• Like 1

chazm

:text-yeahthat:    :text-welcomewave:

• Like 1

Forest Road

First thing I do with a tractor is change fuel lines and filter. This is most likely the culprit on the 96. Easiest thing to do is check for fuel flow through a clear filter. Fuel pump may be bad as well. But that's an easy test w a new filter.

I had a tractor that sat for so long the entire fuel system was loaded w sludge. In fact it was a 96 520 w 100 hours.

Good luck

Blash

Thank you for the suggestions, I will get back to both of these tractors this weekend, I will advise as to what I find, thanks again.

bmghog

You need a ignition module. We did everything coil pak spark plug wires etc and a man from  Minnesota sent a used ignition module and it started right up and has run for 40 hours just fine.

ericj

the 96 sounds like a ignition module down load the onan service manual it will tell you how to check the electrical system out top to bottom. the service manual i believe will have an electrical wiring diagram. make sure you get the right year. i believe the 91 uses 2 little relays under the battery. the relays do go bad, but a lot of times it just needs the contacts cleaned or 1 of the wires under neath come loose and don't make contact as should. you can pm me and i might be able to help talk you through some trouble shooting on them

eric j

wh79d160

On the 96, 1st I'd check, is the screen thats inside the tank connected to the fuel shut off. That screen is so fine, you probably will have a hard time telling its clogged until you pull it out of the grommet. They are readily avaliable & don' t cost much to replace. Good luck

WH nut

I would first check to see if its fuel or ignition. Saves a lot of time troubleshooting if you go in a systematic route.

Edited by WH nut
  • Like 1

Rock farmer

Sounds like your 91' has a weak battery,

Take the battery out of the 96'

And, put it in the 91'

Joe

HorseFixer

Pull off the air filter so you can see Carb Throat. Have a can of carb cleaner or (gas in squirt can ready). Then start up engine run it till it starts to die then squirt carb cleaner or gas in the carb throat, If it try's to run then it is most likely lack of fuel ie: (Fuel System Problem). If it dies right out then it is most likely (Electrical Problem). Doing it this way is your cheapest systematic start, as your not just replacing parts.  :tools-wrench:  You will also know which direction to go, then follow every ones trouble shooting suggestions that are mentioned. :handgestures-thumbupright:

~Duke :wh:

• Like 3

HorseFixer

:text-yeahthat:    :text-welcomewave:

Oh yeah and what Chaz Said!  :thumbs:

~Duke :wh:

Martin

so how is the progress on these two tractors?

any updates to report?

jackhammer

Welcome Blash - now where could you go and receive that kind of info ...  - - - > RedSquare !!!!

Good luck and have fun here