edwalsh18

First post here! new to red square. new to wheel horse. new to garden tractors... complete rookie here! i purchased a used non running wheel horse yesterday from an ad on craigslist mostly for the implements. i also bought another tractor yesterday, a craftsman gt6000 18hp horizontal shaft. well, i was hanging out with my best friend (google) and i think i figured out my tractor is most likely a 1974 Wheel Horse c120 automatic with a tecumseh hh120. made a quick video and posted on youtube. first time ever posting on youtube so....

• Like 2

oaktown1987

What's the model number they never came with tecumsehs they had a 12 hp kohler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daveoman1966

Nice find...  I have one just like and is model # 1-0495.  You should find that model # on a metal tag (about 1" x 3") on the left side of the hoodstand, just about where your left knee would be.  Once you get it going, you'll wonder why you never owned one, then want more of them. 

edwalsh18

What's the model number they never came with tecumsehs they had a 12 hp kohler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the info i found was on this site;  http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/Wheel_Horse_Products_Master_Model_List.pdf 

down on page four under 1974

Edited by edwalsh18

edwalsh18

Nice find...  I have one just like and is model # 1-0495.  You should find that model # on a metal tag (about 1" x 3") on the left side of the hoodstand, just about where your left knee would be.  Once you get it going, you'll wonder why you never owned one, then want more of them. 

yeah i just checked to make sure and it is same model #. thanks for reply, do you have any pics of yours?post-12633-0-25824600-1394176036_thumb.j

Edited by edwalsh18

KC9KAS

:WRS:  WOW, the tiller and mid-mount grader are worth the $250!

You made off like a bandit!

Ken B

That is a real nice score! That seat is worth quite a few bucks, its mint! If I were you I'd get that one going and enjoy it. I wouldn't paint it, its way too nice of an original to paint! Give it a good cleaning and it'll look almost new. I seriously doubt it has many hrs. on it going by the overall condition. As far as the Tecumseh being original to the tractor, I don't know if it is or not but it certainly looks as though it has been there since day one. I don't mind the larger hp Tecumseh's, they seem to run pretty good and strong. It probably only needs a carb cleaning. Good luck with it, I wish I came across something like that for 2&a half...

Kelly

You got a great deal, the idler pulleys for the tiller are on the tractor, fix the WH it is a better machine than the sears, and yes the seat is worth about what you paid for the tractor 

Kelly

And I just noticed your from California, I bet your the only one on here from there, and one of a few that far west, Welcome 

rmaynard

If you check the parts list for the 1-0495, 1974 C-120, it did come with a Lausen (Tecumseh) as an engine choice.

Hodge71

Congrats on your new horse and  :WRS:  I hope you're prepared for the addiction that will follow. You have nothing to fear about the Wheel Horse Automatic tractors. They are very strong runners. Before you get the engine running take some time to ask a few of the guys on here some questions. Tecumsehs are one of the more finicky tractor engines on a Wheel Horse and it may be what the issue is with yours as to why it wont start. I would do a quick oil change in the engine and hit your local Toro dealer and pick up a new hydro filter for the transaxle. If you dont have a Toro dealer local hit up a NAPA auto parts store and buy filter #1410. Its a true hydraulic filter and is made by Wix for Napa. Its as good or even better than OEM. Grab a new 5 qt bottle of the 10w-30 oil of your choice and drain/refill the transmission and replace the filter. From there move to the troubleshooting

1.)Does it turn over and at least crank?

2.)If not, is the battery dead and just need a jump?

3.)If it does crank, does it try to start?

4.)If not, Pull the spark plug and check for spark while you crank. If you have spark while you're cranking reinstall the plug and try and put a small shot of starting fluid or squirt some fuel in the carb and see if it fires. At this point it should do something, as you have air, fuel and spark.

5.)If it doesn't, do a compression check to be sure you have good pressure. 

IF you do get it to pop and start or run for a second or 2, run yourself a new fuel line, replace the filter, put some brand new hi octane gas without ethanol if you can get that in Cali. If not, add some Seafoam to it to stabilize your 93 octane and keep things clean.

Dont you worry abut your vid..we love pics and videos!!!

One thing that just popped into my head was make sure you have your parking brake lever up. It disconnects your transmission and takes the load off the engine while starting....Good luck and keep us informed

bowtieguy

And I just noticed your from California, I bet your the only one on here from there, and one of a few that far west, Welcome 

Bruce Marion is also from CA....he's the guy that won all the raffle stuff at the 06' big show in PA...huh? Bruce?

tbarnhart

That is a great find!! If you are looking for some more info on the Techys in Wheel Horses, look up the thread "Picking up a C-160 Thursday" by bowtiebutler956. Tecumsehs were only used on the C-series in 74 and 75 and most were 8 speed tractors. Yours with a hydro is a rare tractor. I have a 74 C-160 with a OHV 16 Tecumseh like the one bowtiebutler956 has that I'm trying to freshen up with some paint and decals. The Ignition is the weak point on these engines. Check that first and hope that it is OK. Oem parts are hard to find and expensive, but there are ways to convert it to battery ignition. Any questions, just ask me. Like they said, fix the Horse and sell that Craftsman. =)

AMC RULES

bmsgaffer

If you are wondering why the video makes it look like you are swimming, that is youtube's anti-shake.  :teasing-poke:  It pretty awful at this point, so I would not recommend anyone using it (From personal experience! :banghead: ).

Go to your video, select "enhancements" under the video and then click "revert to original".

Hopefully we will limit the sea-sickness this way. :handgestures-thumbupright:

and sweet tractor! I also vote on resurrecting the wheel horse. Looks like its in great shape!

Edited by bmsgaffer

chazm

WELCOME TO :rs:

Nice :wh:

Ed Kennell

:WRS:  

:woohoo:    You are now a felon...What a steal.    I have been using that same tractor with the HH120 Tecky automatic tranny to power a mower and snowblower for the past 15 years. It is the strongest and most reliable working  tractor I own.   I put a new starter ($120) on it when I bought it in 1999, and have not done anything to it since then except normal maintenance. I paid $600 for the tractor, mower deck and push blade .  I picked up a snowblower  at a yard sale for 50 bucks that I have on it now. 

If the ignition module is toast, I would look for a 12HP Kohler replacement engine that you can buy for the price of a used module.

Please save this tractor.... They are great little machines.

My mower                                     post-7208-0-28357400-1394204519.jpg

Snow blower and wood hauler     post-7208-0-72533900-1394204554.jpg

Custom air cleaner and fuel line  post-7208-0-48502100-1394204619.jpg

Edited by ekennell

Bluffhunter

Wow---- What a find !!!  That's going to make you a really nice tractor !!!!

Anyone else notice the dual wheel kit in the brochure at 1:49 ?

Congratulations and enjoy !!!

oaktown1987

I didn't know they ever put tecumsehs on c series

608KEB

Welcome to Red Square. You stole the C-120! When you look the tractor over. You'll see there is no comparison in how well the Wheel Horse is built next to the Sears. I would check the wheel hubs to make sure there tight. Nice find!

leeave96

Nice tractor and implements too!

jackhammer

Ed Walsh18 .. thanks for sharing that story and welcome to this forum.

I would almost bet that your heart is still racing after bringing all that home.

Good luck with your tractor and accessories

• Like 1

608KEB

Welcome to Red Square. You stole the C-120! When you look the tractor over. You'll see there is no comparison in how well the Wheel Horse is built next to the Sears. I would check the wheel hubs to make sure there tight. Nice find!

Wheel-N-It

You got one heck of a good deal, running or not. I have not read the other post due to time but if for some reason the tecky turns out to be a bad engine the replace it with a kohler. make sure its Wheel Horse spec.

The Craftsman is a good one to keep as it has the sleeve hitch on it. A good friend of  mine has one and its been a good garden tractor since day one.

Lane Ranger

Ed  :  You got a great deal and good luck with your new tractors.  Welcome to Red Square the members here can help guide you through any questions or issues you have with your tractor.   The C-120  is a very good model.    The attachments you bought are some of the "prized" finds by Wheel Horse owners!