steve-ooo

locked transaxle

steve-ooo

I was thinking the same thing, but before I decided to do so I figured I'm not going to be on pavement so it will just spin hints why in not welding it, so if I don't like it I can change it back(:

I was thinking the same thing, but before I decided to do so I figured I'm not going to be on pavement so it will just spin hints why in not welding it, so if I don't like it I can change it back(:

steve-ooo

Thanks everyone for the help(:

kris22

Speaking from experience with a locked rear in my "trail horse" as far as wear and tear, I've broken the high low fork twice and just today broke the shifter off because of too much strain on all the gears when trying to navigate a trail. But other than that i havent had a problem with it As far as turning, it's not as bad as you would think. The right kind of tires help tramendously. Just takes trial and error until you find the right ones. I was on the fence about locking the rear for a while but it's one of those you won't know unless you try kind of thing

• Like 1

AMC RULES

How 'bout traction...any better now?  :auto-dirtbike:

kris22

Put it this way, I run 27" atv tires now. Itp 589's specifically. I can go where most 4x4 quads go with relative ease. Mud snow dirt gravel rocks hills logs all not an issue.

• Like 1

TT

Speaking from experience with a locked rear in my "trail horse" as far as wear and tear, I've broken the high low fork twice and just today broke the shifter off because of too much strain on all the gears when trying to navigate a trail.

I have a pretty good idea why shifters break, and I seriously doubt it has anything to do with a locked differential. 

I can see axle key & hub problems, stripped/broken pinions and axle gears, and broken differential bolts, but the "front half" of the tranz should hold up just fine.

• Like 2

steve-ooo

Yea I just bought regular ag tires on it, seems to do fine but I only had them in action once.. Wheel have to wate and see, wish me luch everyone!! Oh! By the way what's the easiest way to get the hubs off? A regular puller?

AMC RULES

Another hub turned into a puller. 

You do come to a complete stop before shifting to another gear, right? 

Edited by AMC RULES

steve-ooo

Most of the time yes, somtimes i quickshift from 2nd to 3rd tho, so will a regular puller work?

AMC RULES

Really hard on that ol' trans...isn't made to do that.   :confusion-shrug: