steve-ooo

locked transaxle

steve-ooo

I have a 1974 b80 with 4 speed, its my trail runner and i was wondering how i can lock the rear end? Like does any welding or switching things around inside need to be done to make this possable? If anyone has pics or anything as to what i need to do that would be great to!! And i would like to add a thanks to evryone who has helped me out on Red Square.

Steve.

can whlvr

if you switch the pinions around in the differential it will give a locked rear,but it doesn't steer worth a damn and it tears up the grass when you try to turn,i did it once by accident and knew right away that I MESSED SOMETHING UP

steve-ooo

Yea i dont cut grass with mine lol, its just for off road

baerpath

If you don't mind when you get anything shorter than a 45 degree corner having to go forward and back to make it around go for it, Either weld them or reset the pinions

steve-ooo

How would I reset the pinions? Does anyone have a pic of what I need to do, or a pic of the differential?

AMC RULES

:wwp:

steve-ooo

Ill post some pics as soon as i fetit finished i kinda haveiyapart right now, you know ware i could see or find some pics on my 4 speed differential?

AMC RULES

Maybe this will help you. 

stevasaurus

This picture shows the pinion gears placed correctly in the differential...notice they alternate up and down on the gear part.  To lock the differential, I would think you want 2 of them in the up position and 2 in the down, or all up, or all down.  Someone needs to chime in here to say which way will accomplish what you want, or you could figure it out when you get it apart...try one of the ways, put the differential back together and turn the axles.  I would guess the 2 down and next 2 up would be the right way.  :)

702transmission025.jpg

Edited by stevasaurus

TT

I would guess the 2 down and next 2 up would be the right way.  :)

Exactly correct! :handgestures-thumbup:

This is an 8 pinion differential, but it will work for a demonstration.

Unlocked (normal):

010810tranz195.jpg

Locked:

010810tranz194.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Might be awesome for a dedicated plow machine that only pushes snow straight down the driveway...

but trying to make any turns would become quite the PITA in very short order

stevasaurus

Thanks TT...you always seem to have my back.  :)  Very Much appreciated.

TT

Thanks TT...you always seem to have my back.  :)  Very Much appreciated.

Glad to be part of the team Steve. :handgestures-thumbup:

The 3400 uploaded files I have on Photobucket do have an occasional purpose. :wacko::hide:

• Like 1

steve-ooo

Thanks guys for all your help I really appreciate it, do where can I get a new gasket and seals and bearings, is there anything I need to be awair of when I split the case?

stevasaurus

You get the gasket from TORO WH #3912.  Check the pinned thread at the top of the Transmission section, it has all the bearing and seal numbers.  Have the shallow side of the transmission down when you split the trans...the differential can be pulled right out...do what you want and put it back together.  :)

oldredrider

Is a "locked" differential the same as the "limited slip"? If not, how does it "differ"?

meadowfield

A locked diff has no give at all, both wheels are locked in the same direction. Usually a manual implementation actuated with air these days.

A limited slip diff will allow just enough movement (depending on the type) to allow steering. If one wheel tries to turn with the other stationary then it will start to lock the two shafts together.

groundhog47

This picture shows the pinion gears placed correctly in the differential...notice they alternate up and down on the gear part.  To lock the differential, I would think you want 2 of them in the up position and 2 in the down, or all up, or all down.  Someone needs to chime in here to say which way will accomplish what you want, or you could figure it out when you get it apart...try one of the ways, put the differential back together and turn the axles.  I would guess the 2 down and next 2 up would be the right way.  :)

702transmission025.jpg

Exactly correct! :handgestures-thumbup:

This is an 8 pinion differential, but it will work for a demonstration.

Unlocked (normal):

010810tranz195.jpg

Locked:

010810tranz194.jpg

Gosh, Didn't know how nice a clean one looks you two. :handgestures-thumbup: Be there one o these days!

• Like 1

steve-ooo

Gosh thank you all verry much!! What is the identification number of my transaxle? I'm going to buy new seals and stuff, it's a 1974 b80 with 4 speed

stevasaurus

It should be a WH #5084.  The bearings and seals in the second PDF in the pinned thread above are what you need.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus

oldredrider

A locked diff has no give at all, both wheels are locked in the same direction. Usually a manual implementation actuated with air these days.

A limited slip diff will allow just enough movement (depending on the type) to allow steering. If one wheel tries to turn with the other stationary then it will start to lock the two shafts together.

OK...so how does the limited slip diff work? Need to know if "LS" will work on a project I'm considering.

TT

OK...so how does the limited slip diff work? Need to know if "LS" will work on a project I'm considering.

• Like 2

steve-ooo

Ok, i just purchest my seals and bearings from motion industrys but on the diagram In the pinned thread above did not show a part number for the "case gasket"? Any outher places that might have onefor me?

stevasaurus

I gave you the WH# 3912 in post #15 for the gasket...you need to get that from TORO or cut your own.  :)

That gasket is like $6.

Edited by stevasaurus

wheelhorse66

I was looking at this thread and I was wondering if it would be hard on the transaxle to lock it? Or would it not hurt anything?