mdtoro

520xi starting issue

mdtoro

My 520xi is having trouble starting.  Sometimes when I try to start it I hear the click of the solenoid but it doesn't turn.  Usually trying a few more times and it will turn over and start.

The manual mentions something about servicing the starter.  Does the service consist of cleaning or replacing the brushes?  Brushes look a bit pricey when I looked for them.

Also,  I'm going to replace the battery.  The Interstate workaholic battery has worked quite well!  Hopefully the new ones are just as good!

Edited by mdtoro

doc724

When it finally turns over does it crank slowly or normal speed.  If slowly, it is likely the battery.  If normal speed, then there is an electrical problem somewhere, either in the ignition switch or a relay which powers the starter.  Note a loose connection (12V or ground) wil cause an intermittent problem.  Was it turning over OK when you last ran it? 

shallowwatersailor

Just like Don said, look for loose connection, check the fuse block for corrosion (pull each fuse to clean the spade), and safeties before diving into the starter. Depending on the battery's age, it could just be that.

mdtoro

Battery is old so I will replace it.  The terminals were dirty so it might be just the battery.  Will check the other connections while I have it apart.

leeave96

Sounds like the battery.

Jparkes43

Mine did this and it needed a new battery, but I would also check seat switch and other wires as mine had some dodgy connections

Hope this helped

James

Hodge71

I have had a couple horses do this…most recently my '71 Charger 12 auto…everyone of them needed a battery and started just fine after putting a new properly sized battery in

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• grasscuts
      By grasscuts
      Hi, here's what happened. I changed out 9 pin moles plug...had issues tracter quit running and changed the plugs while I was at it....got plugs from auto store cross reference to ngk they said it was the same heat range and I check electrod  length with calipers ,same...tracter started right up and ran great for about 10 min. And started back firing and quit.....going to check it out tonite anybody have an idea?    
    • jakester
      By jakester
      hello all I'm a new owner of a 312-8 tractor, have starting problems, came across a very small, what I believe is a relay between the battery and the dash,its about 2/3rd size of a cube of sugar silver on the outside blue on top with a hole bout the size of a pea, theres 6 pins with wires connected to it on the bottom do not know what this is any thoughts? I cannot determine the exact year of this machine for there is no tag anywhere only tag on engine kohler magnum md #m12s   ser# 170370459  spec#  471527  I figure its mid to late 80s to early 90s. of all the wiring diagrams ive looked at it does not show any thing like what I just described also can that little circuit board be removed that's like a test point for idiot lights? any help would be appreciated  jeff
    • Travas
      By Travas
      Need some help with setting up electrical to the engine. I got this one wire I don't know where it goes! I thought it went to the starter but it doesn't fit. A grounding wire went there I believe. Any ideas or manuals? And a front tire as well

• Armin Buehlmann
      By Armin Buehlmann
      Hi,
      I read through a few related posts but my symptoms sound different.
      Have an '89-'90? Wheelhorse 520-H,  model 4120OE01.
      When I engage the PTO, the engine stalls. No fault indicators.
      However, everything else seems normal:
      - all lights work when pressing 'TEST'
      - when I engage the PTO without sitting on the seat, the engine also stalls, but the 'SEAT' light comes on. Normal.
      - when I try to start the engine with the PTO engaged, it won't start and 'PTO' lights up. Normal.
      - after disconnecting the load (2-stage snow blower belt in this case) from the PTO, I get the same problem, engine stalls immediately. PTO pulley turns along fine with the remaining motion.

And I also need to mention: the first time it happened it was intermittent. The tractor and snowblower attachment were used over a month ago, without any problem.This time got above symptom upon startup. I didn't feel like shoveling so after revving the engine for a minute or two and a few 'encouraging' words, it worked.  I switched the PTO off and on several times afterwards with no problem (engine warm, obviously). Today, with the engine cold, the problem is back.

I think there's enough reason to rule out the PTO- and seat- switches. But what else should I check? 
      This is my first time writing in the forum and I hope I've given enough clues without boring you.
      Any hints and advice are appreciated.
      Armin

PS any good tricks to counteract the belt tensioner on the 2-stage snow thrower (model 79361)? It is a bear to connect and disconnect.

• indywheelhorsenut
      By indywheelhorsenut
      Started fine 2 weeks ago.  I left key in ignition and fear grandson may have turned it slightly to right a week ago.. not enough to engage starter but perhaps enough to drain battery.

Went to start it yesterday and no charge at all.  Started charging it and battery began to take charge.  However starter turned over but didnt turn engine over.

Question is do I just need more of a charge (more amps) or do I have another problem?

Lol, have 5 inches of snow headed here starting tonight so I need to get ahead of this today.