Jparkes43

Tachometer

Jparkes43

Hello I have a Wheel-Horse 227-5 with the 17hp kawasaki single cylinder engine and was interested in putting a tachometer on it (just because i won't too) but i need a step by step guide as I'm not sure what exactly i need to do, also if anyone could advise on a good tach to use that would help a lot, while I'm at i thought that i might put a oil pressure/temperature gauge on it.

thank you

James  

wheeledhorseman

Hi James :text-welcomewave: to RS and good to have another Euro member aboard. :UK:

Check out this thread

The Kawasaki in the 227-5 has electronic ignition - a little module mounted on the outside of the engine tinwork replaces the points in older engines. There's no 'coil' it's a magneto type ignition. Not sure how the tacho mentioned will work with this but it's rare to find a tacho like this that will actually operate on a single cylinder engine.

I guess it's a matter of checking with the supplier re the electronic magneto ignition bit.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Andy

p.s. don't forget to intorduce yourself in the Euro tractor section - lots of friendly helpful guys both sides of the pond.

Edited by wheeledhorseman

Jparkes43

Thanks for the reply

is the little module silver?, i will say hi in the euro section 

wheeledhorseman

Sounds like you've found it but to be certain it looks like this.

post-4509-0-59981300-1390212949.jpg

It basically replaces traditional points hence it's earthed through the case and the other wire goes to the primary coil of the magneto under the flywheel. So if a tacho like the one in the other thread is happy with this type of ignition then my guess would be that it would take the pulse from this wire.

For possible future reference - Kawasaki used two different trigger modules on their range of mower engines. They are distiguishable by the spade connector either being on the right or on the left and are not interchangeable (I guess the timing is different). The Kawaski part is expensive but I got the OEM product by Bosch from an ebayer in Thailand for a fraction of the cost.

Keep us posted on progress with the tacho and any other products suitable for a single cylinder ignition system you come across.

Hope this is useful.

Andy

Jparkes43

Yes that is exactly what i was thinking of!

so would i just tap into the black wire with the right taco gauge input wire 

meadowfield

These tachs only work with 4,6,8 cylinder engines so it will read wrong.

One and two cylinder tachs are hard to come by, I started looking at modifying my own. There's a thread somewhere, still need to finalise it....

Jparkes43

oh ok i will continue to look

meadowfield

You can buy cheap digital that will work on 1,2,4,6,8....

Coadster32

You can buy cheap digital that will work on 1,2,4,6,8....

Could you post a link to this??

meadowfield

Look up digital tachometer on that auction site.

Around 10-15 bucks, sensor wire wraps around spark plug cable...