pj1960

Back Home With The 2 857s.

pj1960

Finally was able to go get my pair of 857s for 150.00 today. They need a little love but are complete except for one deck missing a lot but it will be used for parts. Engines are free so this should be an easy fix to get one running. A lot of you may think this was a great deal but I find myself regretting ever seeing them. It will take a LOT to make one useable. That involves time and money. All belts are rotted. The SGs will need attintion all cables and idler pullys frozen plus who know about the deck driveline. I will have to think hard before dumping them to hopefully get my money back. I think these horses turned out to be "nags".

20140117_123302.jpg

20140117_123319.jpg

20140117_123602.jpg

• Like 3

AMC RULES

I still think you stole 'em.   :chores-mop:

• Like 1

608KEB

They both look in nice shape!

pj1960

I noticed the deck thats mounted has the front roller ripped off leaving a big hole and the gearbox plugs are rotted duct tape. Who know what may be frozen or wore out. The other deck has a very nice pan complete with the roller. I will give them a chance before giving up.

One thing that bothers me is what happened the last time I tried to get a vintage tractor operational. It was a Bolens with a Wisconsin. Everyone told me how great it was. Ended up being the biggest boat anchor ever. Spent a ton on it and still didnt have anything. I just hope this isnt the case with a WH. Never ever again would I own a Wisconsin. That 8 1/4 hp. engine had less power than a worn out push mower. Would almost choke down putting the deck in gear. Then it was so low geared it didnt turn the blades fast enough to cut grass.

Edited by pj1960

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

They look nice to me. 

Glenn

KC9KAS

I too think you did OK for $150!

You have quite a lot to work with there, so just take your time and work with what you have.

pj1960

After doing alittle cleaning I feel much better and see plenty of potential using 2 to make one. I have a couple of questions.The tractor with the mower has a bracket sticking out front with a long pin thru ii the other one has no bracket. Whats it for? Whats the small thumb lever left of the shifter?.

Note the 10.50 rear tires on the mower tractor. Someone posted here they wouldnt fit due to deck wheels but these do and look good.

Edited by pj1960

can whlvr

it appears to me to be a great deal,remember its fairly seldom that a machine(or 2 )of this age wont require some attention,even a lot newer tractors can eat up the cash and plenty of time,but that's what makes this kind of hobby so worthwhile and gratifying,ive had a few tractors over the years and they all turned out great in the end,some needed more $ and time then others,it works it self out in the end,plus wheelhorses are almost allways worth fixing

TT

After doing alittle cleaning I feel much better and see plenty of potential using 2 to make one. I have a couple of questions.The tractor with the mower has a bracket sticking out front with a long pin thru ii the other one has no bracket. Whats it for? Whats the small thumb lever left of the shifter?.

Note the 10.50 rear tires on the mower tractor. Someone posted here they wouldnt fit due to deck wheels but these do and look good.

The bracket looks like it may have been for hanging weights. The thumb lever to the left of the shifter is the fender latch.

657005.jpg

19richie66

I would have jumped on them for $150 and never looked back. I would fix one deck and redo both tractors. I say that and I have four of them I haven't been able to work on yet, lol. Take your time....... It will happen. Still a great deal.

pj1960

Yeah I think this will be a worthwhile project. Its a shame they were left outdoors neglected. All in all they are in solid shape. Most things that need attention are idler pulleys and things that need to move that has frozen up. My main thing right now is to clean the points and carb to see if they will start. If I know they will run then it will make the rest seem rewarding. For tractors almost 50 years old they still have many years of use left in them despite neglect and that something you cant buy today.

speedyleedy

I think you got a great deal on them i bought a couple like that that had been setting in a barn for years & they turn out to be great running tractor after i cleaned the carb's :)

pj1960

We have a problem. I think the push rod for the points is stuck because I see no movement at all. Any suggestions?

Do these old Kohlers require a battery to make spark? The batteries in them are natrually shot and I have been trying to rope turn them to see if I could get any sign of life.

Edited by pj1960

rmaynard

There isn't a lot of movement on that point push rod, and sometimes it's hard to see. But on the other hand, they do wear down, and the cam can wear as well. Yes, you need a battery for those engines to have spark.

pj1960

Thanks for that. I will invest in a battery soon. I am working on the bare tractor it seems to be in better condition than the mower tractor. That deck thats off is very nice so I think I will use the parts off the attached deck to build a good one. The one thats mounted has a huge hole where a roller was ripped off.

oaktown1987

them decks are hard to come by i would replace the woodruff keys in them with hardened ones the the non hardened ones create to much vibration and cause the cast iron plate to crack

oaktown1987

if u get rid of parts let me know

pj1960

Once I see everything is gonna go right and I wont need a parts tractor around I will think about parting out or selling the remaining tractor. I have not interest in getting 2 running.

Can that rear hitch be adapted to standard sleeve equipment.20140117_123534.jpg

Edited by pj1960

oaktown1987

they do mow good

yes sir

Wheel-N-It

You should keep that other tractor. Its always good to have a parts tractor around. If you don't believe me then sell it and find out. Just saying this cause I don't want you to find out the hard way.

pj1960

You should keep that other tractor. Its always good to have a parts tractor around. If you don't believe me then sell it and find out. Just saying this cause I don't want you to find out the hard way.

Your probably right. In the end keeping that other ole tractor around would would save lots of money on any obsolete parts I may need. Having 2 identical tractors is one reason I worked so hard to get this deal. Not very often you get lucky enough to find "twins".

Killer 2000 Chevy

I have been looking for a s/g belt guard for a while.

oaktown1987

Me tio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pj1960

20140117_123546.jpg

One of the slot hitches has been destroyed by being cut off to mount whatever this piece of junk is. The other is intact except they inserted a piece of flat iron making a drawbar then welding it in place. Will just cut the weld and will be fine.

Are these tractors suppose to have a drawbar AND slot lift hitch?

Edited by pj1960

pj1960

I cant find a serial no. tag anywhere. Is there some numbers I can use for the Toro MPV? The parts download here on RS is old and hard to read.