steve-ooo

b80 4 speed

steve-ooo

Hello, im new to the forum and excited to be apart of it, now, i gave a 1974 b80 with kohler 8hp and 4 speed trans, who made this transmission for this tractor?? And i off road my b80 and i will post some pics, but how strong is this 4 speed and what can i do to avoid belt slip in water? Thanks

Steve.

neil

Welcome to Redsquare Steve, good to have you onboard

There will be someone along shortly that will give you the answers that you need .

installing a new belt should  prevent belt slip as the old one tends to wear somewhat smooth & have less grip

Lane Ranger

Wheel Horse made the transmission -it is the heart of the tractor.    If your drive belt is slipping it may be worn   .  The power of the Wheel Horse is a good OEM drive belt on good pulley's with a transmission that has good oil seals, etc.    I have had tractors soaked and never had slipping on the drive belt accept when the belt gets very worn.  PS We have three B80 tractors too!

Edited by Lane Ranger

AMC RULES

Your tractors vitals...

1-0140 1974 B Series Garden Tractor B-80 4-Speed Kohler K181S-30461D 8 Wheel Horse 5084

Let's see some of those wheelin' picts?  :banana-gotpics:

:WRS:

• Like 1

rmaynard

Welcome to RedSquare. I agree on replacing the belt, and you might also want to check the clutch spring and replace it with a heavier one.

• Like 1

chazm

:text-welcomewave:   TO  :rs:

steve-ooo

Thanks for all the replys everyone! I treys posting pics but it sed something about the image being to big??? But does anyone know ware it cold get a good cast iron 12 hp kohler for my b80? And about the 4 speed, how strong is it??

Edited by steve-ooo

rmaynard

Don't know how soon you would need that 12HP for your B-80, but I have a K301 that I have been rebuilding off and on for the last 2 years. The cool thing is, it has a 1" crankshaft, making it a drop in engine for a B-80. PM me if you have any interest.

The 4 speed is not as strong as the 8 speed with it's 8 pinion differential, but it's still a tough transmission.

steve-ooo

The 8 horse thats in it was recanly rebuilt, with new valvs and seats and the cylender was honed, its got great copreson and croshatching, idk ifbi need more power it was just a thought lol, how hard would it beif at all possable to put an 8 speed in my b80?

JimmyJam

Welcome to RED SQUARE!

The "Uni-drive" transmissions are real easy to swap out. 6 bolts and done! Just be careful they very, very heavy!

wheelhorse66

I do a lot of offroading to put a heavy clutch spring and a good belt and your good to go,and the transaxle is plenty of strong for the 8hp engine,your not going to break nothing just don't get it jumping or nothing

steve-ooo

Yea i put ag tires on it and a smaller pully on trans for a little more speed and momentum, how hard is it to split the trans case? Id like to check out the inside and clean evrything really good, and how hard isbit to get new axil seals and gasket for trans?... i keep getting moisture in trans oil.

kudzu3

Yea i put ag tires on it and a smaller pully on trans for a little more speed and momentum, how hard is it to split the trans case? Id like to check out the inside and clean evrything really good, and how hard isbit to get new axil seals and gasket for trans?... i keep getting moisture in trans oil.

Steve, I took my trans off my b 80, took it completely down, cleaned, replaced seals, some bearings, did some repair on the forks and put it all back together and it actually works :eek: . It was my first and I had absolutely no experience. I did not do it alone, the good folks here walked me through it :bow-blue: . The parts are not difficult to find, NAPA has most, if not all of what you need and some of the stuff can be found on the internet. With a little mechanical ability and with the help you will get from the folks here, you won't have any problem doing what you want to do. If you leave the tractor outside and your shifter boot is bad, or non existent, you will get water in the trans, I don't know of anything else that would cause that, other than maybe a little condensation with weather changes. Good luck with it :).

steve-ooo

Ware can I get a get a good clutch spring? Like a heavy one?

wheelhorse66

You can get them at like a true value store or any hardware store

can whlvr

another thing about the smaller pulley,did you put a smaller belt on ,either way if you did or didn't it could contribute to why your belt is slipping,smaller pulley means some slack in the belt,different size belt wont work nearly as well as the oem belt

steve-ooo

Yes I did, less surface for the belt to be On The pulley caused the slippage, witch is why I'm putting the stock one back on and a bigger one on the engine crank. Trial and error(: