Kelly

Identifying big block Kohler block styles

TT

Thank you Kelly! :handgestures-thumbup:

Where's the pic of your bloody finger?  :scratchead: 

Kelly

These are all new pics from today, no blood today, please correct me if I missed or messed anything up, I tried to double check this before posting it.  

varosd

perhaps this excellent thread can be pinned in the Instructional tab for future questions/info. :D

TT

I think it's excellent!  :handgestures-thumbup: 

I assume you're working on the next installment ~ dipstick and PTO mounting face variations. :ychain::hide:

• Like 1

varosd

So how many times are you asked if such and such will fit....????? :rolleyes:

Kelly

Dip sticks are a whole new game, there are about a dozen different set ups, as for the PTO side of the block I only know of 2 styles one machined at the outer edge like a Case to aline the pump housing and the nonmachined one. 

Kelly

as for how many times asked ?? no idea, but I get the do you have a Kohler to fit my tractor ?? no more info given, or the it don't matter they will all fit, or I have no idea what style block I have ?? the list goes on........................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES

Very informative Kelly...   :handgestures-thumbsup:        

and   :thanks: for sharing the knowledge with us. 

Kelly

I may work on a few other things like this in the near future, like maybe the dip stick challenge  

• Like 3

chazm

EXCELLENT POST  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Thanks for clearing things up for ALL of us  :greetings-clappingyellow:

Wheel-N-It

Most Excellant post Kelly. Thank you. I learned something tonight :bow-blue:

• Like 1

bewford

Thank you Sir

• Like 2

TravelinJavelin

Wow thanks for the education on this I didn't realize there are such variations just on the oil pans of these engines

• Like 1

Joefrommi65

Very nice info !!!! Thanks for taking the time to explain!!

darg

Question, I have a 12 hp mag. engine. deep pan. The manual call for two qts of oil, you know the dip stick sot of lays down when fully inserted in the tube. The oil on the dip stick only shows oil up to the add mark. Is this correct. I do not want to over fill. One time I filled up to the full mark, and I noticed some foam on my did stick, I know when over filled the crank oil thrower will cause foam to form.

RickJ

Kelly -

Thanks so much!  I couldn't have asked for a more thorough review of Kohler oil pans!  This will take a while for me to digest; I think I will go back to the seller and take several photos of the engine and compare it to the photos you included in your reply.  Stand by for a few more questions from the Kohler dummy!

Rick

alswagg

Ok I have to ask.   Where does the 18 and 20 twin kohlers like what is used in the D series rate in this big block small block discussion?    Also, I have always said in truck and boat applications at least.  We refere our small block machines as "girls" as in a "she sure is a beauty ". In big block applications we refer them as "boys". As in "He sure is a brute".  

• Haha 1

redone

Hi Kelly

Thanks for this education on kohler blocks. Now I know what I have to replace. I have a blowen 16 hp kohler off of a 160 Hydro. cam gear went through the side of block. now I have to take another look for large or small block.

on the other hand, i will need to replace this block, and rebuild new. any ideas of were i can find a good block to be rebuilt. or find one already built.....

thank you for sharing.

Bill

Iowa

Phatboy

Thanks kelly,, i always wondered why my block overhang on the frame  and had no bolts in those holes lol,, that was very informitive thank you..

• Like 1

Detector

After reading this I'm a bit curious if my engine is original seeing the large oil pans were phased out in 1987, I have a 90 312-H, it has a Kohler M12S with the large oil pan that hangs off the frame, it also has the oil safety switch. 

• Like 1

valleyboy

c120 engine swap .I bought a rebuilt kohler 14 hp and intended to install it on my c120 which had a 12 hp from factory. after reviewing your info I discovered as you noted the 12 hp is a big block. The 14 hp engine is a small block and it looks like the large oil pan from the 12 hp  wont work on the small block 14 hp. I don't have the 12 removed from the tractor yet but if the large bloc pan won't work on the small block pan I won't be able to use the small block engine. Thanks for your info.  I should have checked this out before I bought the 14 hp.   If so I will sell the 14 hp. Hoped it would work out to get tractor back in service for cutting grass. Thanks again. Bob

valleyboy
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:53 PM, valleyboy said:

c120 engine swap .I bought a rebuilt kohler 14 hp and intended to install it on my c120 which had a 12 hp from factory. after reviewing your info I discovered as you noted the 12 hp is a big block. The 14 hp engine is a small block and it looks like the large oil pan from the 12 hp  wont work on the small block 14 hp. I don't have the 12 removed from the tractor yet but if the large bloc pan won't work on the small block pan I won't be able to use the small block engine. Thanks for your info.  I should have checked this out before I bought the 14 hp.   If so I will sell the 14 hp. Hoped it would work out to get tractor back in service for cutting grass. Thanks again. Bob

adapting a big block oil pan to small block engine. wondering if a adapter plate could be made to accomplish this ? the thickness of the adapter plate would have to be milled off of the oil pan height to maintain the original engine height. and be bolted up to the small block engine with counter sunk holes and provide the missing lugs with holes for attachment to the big block pan.???

JPWH

If you have the flat bottom oil pan it should not be a hard swap. I just went through this with a deep sump oil pan on my custom build. I chose  to keep the deep sump and modify the frame. I did  not have the hood clearance for the flat oil pan because of the narrow modified hood. Check out Raider 12 modifications last page.

• Like 1

CX519

Awesome Job. Way to educate.