JAYDOG 69

1991 520h saved

JAYDOG 69

Hi all new guy here, great forum. I was able to save a 520 from being parted out, just got it home, little bit rusty but runs ok and hydro seems to be good. Has 830 hours on it. planning on tearing it down to do some cleaning and painting to bring her back to life again. I have two others a 314a & c105 with kohlers so I am not very up on the onans . I was hoping to get some advice on anything that I should do or look for while I have the engine on the bench. from the looks of it, it doesn't appear to have any oil leaks so not sure if I should reseal it or not. budget is kind of tight on this one but I would like to avoid any issues that may be avoidable. so if anyone has any advice for this first time onan owner it would be greatly appreciated. I did pay 800 bucks for it so I don't think I did very bad on the purchase, but be honest let me know what you think. also I would like to find a 60" deck to go under this unit, i would be willing to trade my great running and cutting 314a if anyone is interested or knows where I could get one. thanks Jay

post-12268-0-55291400-1388350501_thumb.j

• Like 2

Martin

:WRS:

nice save.....

looks like that one will clean up nicely.

I've done a little work on the onans on my 416s......

check out my thread, might be of some help, maybe......

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Nice score...for the five foot deck...     :handgestures-thumbsup: 

does your 520 have the forward swept front axle on it? 

• Like 1

JAYDOG 69

AMC  yep sure does should fit right under it, thanks Martin ill check that out

Edited by JAYDOG 69
  • Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

nice, everyones dream machine, the big 520.

Glenn

• Like 1

varosd

pull the engine shrouds and clean the back cylinder head fins to prevent the dread valve seat letting go. a lot folks will adjust the valves and also the cleaning of the Eaton tranny fins are a must. changes oils/ fuel lines/filter etc.  Welcome to the 520 club.  love that idle! :D

• Like 1

608KEB

She'll clean up nice

Wheel-N-It

That looks like a good one. Congragulations!

JackC

I would take the air cleaner off and the intake and exhaust manifolds and give it a thorough cleaning and inspection.  I would also clean the carburetor. If you keep the tractor you will be doing that at some point anyway, and from time to time.  I would also take the heads off and inspect for carbon build up especially on the valve seats.  The valves should be checked and adjusted.  Be careful with the soft aluminum block and use a torque wrench to put it back together to avoid stripping anything.  If you do all that you will need new gaskets.  When using it for mowing be careful of grass build up on the air intake screen to avoid overheating.  The 60 inch deck is a monster.  Nothing that I know of sounds and feels better than firing up and running a Performer Series ONAN.

953 nut

:WRS:   Looks like a good one, some time back a photo was posted of a home built hardware cloth basket to keep grass clippings from building up on the flywheel screen, seems like a good idea.   :text-welcomeconfetti: 

6wheeler

I have a 91 also with about the same hours. The only issues I have had with it is the charging fuse holder crapping out. But fuse blocks are one of the major headaches on this machine. Otherwise, besides being a hog for gas it is a very capable machine and handles my 60" deck well. You will like it... And so will OPEC.

Black55post

If anyone else is looking to join the 520-H club I have an 88' for sale!

motox25

I'm in the process of restoring my 2nd 520H, as others have said its a great tractor. I'd say you got a good deal on it. As others have already said if clean the fins especially on the rear cylinder. Also check for dirt buildup under the engine as well. There's a rubber air seal gasket that goes around the oil filter, I've seen many 520s including mine missing these and they help keep that rear cylinder cool. Cheap part if yours is missing it. I have owned some kohlers myself, great reliable engines but the onan is my favorite even if it is a little more difficult to work on. I replaced the gasket around my carb air horn as well, just to make positive sure it had a good seal.

• Like 1