shallowwatersailor

New Rubber Edge for Snow/Dozer Blade

shallowwatersailor

With the temperature up close to 70 degrees, I took the time to make a new edge for my snow/dozer blade. I used a piece of 1/2" thick rubber cut from a 3' x 4' horse stall pad. It took a bit of effort and the one edge is not the cleanest. New 1 1/2" carriage bolts were used to attach it plus it wasn't expensive to do. I'm not sure if it will work and I wonder how long the edge will last. I am trying this as I have two neighbors with newly laid asphalt driveways that I plow that I don't want to damage with the metal edge. If nothing else, I can squeegee the driveways when it rains. :occasion-santa:

DSCF9426_zpsd79d5684.jpg

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 5

AMC RULES

Nicely done John, it'll be interesting to see how long it lasts...

you'll have to give us an update later in the spring.    :handgestures-thumbsup:

Wishin4a416

Looks good. Will work fine, just not as clean of a swipe with rubber but you have to compromise. We have 2 trucks with rubber edges at work for the top of the parking garages. Works great. The stock metal edges were tearing the rubber membranes out of the joints.

Your neighbor will appreciate it Im sure.

Coadster32

Looks pretty beefy!

timo4352

Could open up a new business opportunity for you --- a driveway squeegeeing service  :ychain:

rexman72

glad its almost 70 there.we have freezing rain.That edge looks good.

varosd

John,

Let us know how well it scrapes the icy stuff.  I put a UHMW on  and it does save the blacktop. On packed down/icy stuff, it doesnt do as well as the metal blade. No worries!

photo8.jpg

• Like 2

dodgemike

John, we used to put 2" rubber

Edges on tandem dumps plowing

City streets. This really saved plow

And truck frames when hitting

Sewer lids etc. The downside is

They would not peel up ice and

Hard packed snow. But man you

Could get that 12' wing plow down

The road!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

rmaynard

Considering how the steel edge wears on my asphalt drive, I don't think a rubber edge would last me very long. I had the driveway coated last year and the steel blade does not affect it. My biggest problem is the chain marks.

JC 1965

John,

Let us know how well it scrapes the icy stuff.  I put a UHMW on  and it does save the blacktop. On packed down/icy stuff, it doesnt do as well as the metal blade. No worries!

photo8.jpg

What is UMHW   :dunno:  and where can i find it. I have a 48 inch snow blade and the metal strip is wearing really fast.

KC9KAS

UHMW:

Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE, UHMW) is a subset of the thermoplastic polyethylene. Also known as high-modulus polyethylene, (HMPE), or high-performance polyethylene (HPPE), it has extremely long chains, with a molecular mass usually between 2 and 6 million u. The longer chain serves to transfer load more effectively to the polymer backbone by strengthening intermolecular interactions. This results in a very tough material, with the highest impact strength of any thermoplastic presently made.[1]

UHMWPE is odorless, tasteless, and nontoxic.[2] It is highly resistant to corrosive chemicals except oxidizing acids; has extremely low moisture absorption and a very low coefficient of friction; is self-lubricating; and is highly resistant to abrasion, in some forms being 15 times more resistant to abrasion than carbon steel. Its coefficient of friction is significantly lower than that of nylon and acetal, and is comparable to that of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE, Teflon), but UHMWPE has better abrasion resistance than PTFE.[3][4]

It can be purchased at McMaster Carr and/or Graingers.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Here is the first update on the rubber edge that I put on the 5xi plow. It shows minimal wear after plowing for an hour and four driveways. It does not "clean" some spots to the surface but I'm happy with the results - and the price. I still have the steel edge on the other plow if I need it, especially an ice storm.

DSCF9426_zpsd79d5684.jpgDSCF9560_zpsf6dbfae1.jpg

• Like 2

scifi4all

Thanks! As they say, "Every Day is a School Day"

UHMW:

Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE, UHMW) is a subset of the thermoplastic polyethylene. Also known as high-modulus polyethylene, (HMPE), or high-performance polyethylene (HPPE), it has extremely long chains, with a molecular mass usually between 2 and 6 million u. The longer chain serves to transfer load more effectively to the polymer backbone by strengthening intermolecular interactions. This results in a very tough material, with the highest impact strength of any thermoplastic presently made.[1]

UHMWPE is odorless, tasteless, and nontoxic.[2] It is highly resistant to corrosive chemicals except oxidizing acids; has extremely low moisture absorption and a very low coefficient of friction; is self-lubricating; and is highly resistant to abrasion, in some forms being 15 times more resistant to abrasion than carbon steel. Its coefficient of friction is significantly lower than that of nylon and acetal, and is comparable to that of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE, Teflon), but UHMWPE has better abrasion resistance than PTFE.[3][4]

It can be purchased at McMaster Carr and/or Graingers.