Motor Head110

I went to start my 856 this morning to plow snow and I noticed the rear end was locked up (again). I took the shifter out and looked in the hole. There was no rust. And the I took a large screwdriver and tried to move the forks. They moved. Im all out of ideas. does anyone know what could be wrong with it?

rmaynard

Water in the transmission and it is frozen?

stevasaurus

Brenden...why do you say "again"???

Bob's right...it is most likely some water in the trans...does not take to much really.  A space heater, light bulbs, salamander will all work to thaw it out, then drain and refill with 90wt oil until it starts to come out the fill hole...about 1 1/2 qts.  :)

groundhog47

Knowing it sounds trivial, might the brake lock be engaged? If not, will it move the wheels if pushed or rocked?

Coadster32

Good point on the brake...(easy solution if that's the case) :handgestures-thumbupright:

If it's water in the trans...(if you leave it outside--most likely)...then I agree to warm it up, and drain it out. Don't forget to lift up the front end when you do this. There's a hump in the bottom of the tranny that will hold more fluid in it. The bottom of the gears might be frozen, and that's why the shift forks still function. Good luck.

• Like 1

nofsed

You've got the same exact problem I had last year and again this year!  Last year once it warmed up it was fine, but it'll be a few days before it gets above freezing here for me in Northeast PA.

The differential works -- one wheel will turn opposite the other when I jacked up the rear, but can't get the rears to turn together to get it out of the shed; even with the shifter in neutral or the pedal depressed.  The brake isn't working -- hasn't really worked in a few years, so I know that's not the issue.

stevasaurus

nofsed...hopefully you have an ice problem also.  :eusa-think:

nofsed

Just now pulled the fill plug & the case is full of what appears to be a chocolate slushy.  Scooped some out with a screwdriver & had to wait for it to melt.  Definitely water & definitely frozen.  Beginning the thaw-out procedure.  Some good ideas in the posts above.  I've owned this 857 for about 5 years and haven't really had any problems.  The engine's gotten plenty of TLC.  I apparently have neglected the gearbox.

sorekiwi

I have never tried this idea, but I've thought about it from time to time over the years....

Your trans is already full of water, and already needs at least a good flush out.  So how about lifting the front of the tractor, removing the gearstick and pouring in a couple of gallons of the hottest water you can find.  This would melt the ice and thin out the coffee goop that's already in there, and should enable the goop to drain out better.  Once it stops dripping, replace the drain plug and repeat with a gallon or so of kero or diesel.  Drain and repeat, this time following the normal flushing procedure to work the kero into the bearings and shift rails etc.  Drain again, fill with a 50/50 mix of engine oil and kero, work it around a bit.  Drain and refill with gear oil.

I cant really see this procedure doing anymore harm than what has already been caused by the water that was already in there,  :scratchead:

Edited by sorekiwi
  • Like 1

nofsed

I thought along those lines too. Managed to use a heat gun to warm the case & got it drained. About a pint of water & a cup of oil came out. Surprisingly, the water was clear...not rusty! Everything turns as it should now & she coasts along quite easily, thankfully!

Tomorrow going to get some diesel fuel & 90wt.

Is the fill plug down low on the left rear side? If so, there can't be that much oil in the case. Or is the shifter also the normal oil fill location?

sorekiwi

Is the fill plug down low on the left rear side? If so, there can't be that much oil in the case. Or is the shifter also the normal oil fill location?

Yep, that's the fill plug.  Oil capacity is 1 1/2 Qts. 

I usually fill through the gear stick hole so I can get more solvent in there to clean it all up, and it goes in a lot quicker and there is less of a chance of making a mess.

• Like 1

nofsed

Good plan using the shifter hole. A funnel would go there easier than trying to pump or pour through the lower plug. I'll stick to the 1 1/2 qt spec.

Buzz

If there is water in there, it's time for a new shifter boot. If you have a nearby dealer get it off him, if not (with the price of gas) check ebay.

nofsed

Thanks Buzz, I've got one on order. Mine was dry-rotted & torn.

stevasaurus

Another trick that works good...take off the seat and fender pan...you can put a funnel in one of the 9/16" bolt holes and fill until the oil starts to come out the lower fill hole.  Sometimes this is easier then taking out the shifter when the trans is still mounted to the horse. :)