ibskot

Fluid filled tires or no?

ibskot

I don't have wheel weights...I now have Ag tires and I am 215lbs. I figure extra weight would help me get through the woods. The guy I bought the 416 from told me it ruins the wheels. Is he bonkers? I'd like weights but alas...I don't have them.

GlenPettit

In my opinion, if you feel you need the weight, go for it.  Fluid filed tires keep the weight where it should be, and "RimGuard" (google it) is the best liquid to have, costing just under what steel weights would cost, pound-for-pound.

Going through rough woods, with lots of bumps, potholes and branches can be very very rough on your tractor, it's not a 4-wheeler designed for that land, especially if you are in third gear.  

If the soil is usually dry and firm there in the woods, I don't think you need any extra weight, unless your towing or pulling heavy things.  You've got the best tires for that on your tractor now.

squonk

fluid filled tires make a world of difference. The fluid rolling around in the wheel give the tractor an extra push when hitting snow piles. I use RV antifreeze and get it when it goes on sale.

darg

I have a 87 418A that has the RV antifreeze , when I bought them they were mounted on rims, The guy I bought them from used them for tractor pulls.

Don,t know if they will rust the rims or not, but it does make it harder to push by hand.

darg

sorekiwi

The "filled tires rot the rims" argument comes from the days when tires were filled with Calcium to add weight.  And yes, calcium does destroy the rims.

Beetjuice supposedly doesn't rust the rims.  Some people use antifreeze, which should contain rust inhibitors.  I don't like the thought of leaking 7 gallons of antifreeze everywhere if I get a puncture so I don't use it.

Others use RV antifreeze which supposedly is more environmentally friendly.  Not sure about whether it contains rust inhibitors.

The tires on my plow tractor each have 7 gallons of windshield wiper fluid in them.  They've been filled for 6 years now, and so far the alcohol hasn't eaten the rubber.  I don't know if the rims are rusty inside, I haven't looked!

The Walri

Maybe a stupid question. ..how do you get the fluid into the tires?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sorekiwi

You can buy a fancy valve for doing it at Tractor supply.  I've never used one.

I used a funnel with a piece of fuel hose over the valve stem.  (Remove the valve stem).  Just slowly poured it in and burping the tire from time to time.  It probably took about 1/2 hour per tire.

Remember to have the valve at the top when you check tire pressure (unless you want to fill your tire gauge with washer fluid!!)

darg

Thanks for the help, The ones that are on my 418 are suppose to have RV anti freeze , so I was told. I think the RV antifreeze has rust inhibiter .

All I know is they are heavy as heck, about 85 lbs each

darg

squonk

Maybe a stupid question. ..how do you get the fluid into the tires?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

WH nut

I prefer t0 run tubes if I'm going to fill a tire. keeps things off the rim

Coadster32

I found that when my tractor sat for a bit of time with filled tires, they would flat spot on me. Other than that, they worked out great.

Jack Fate

My  GT 14 had weights & fluid all wheels ( calcium chloride) destroyed the wheels ,But that thing could really pull the weight. And it did have tubes  

darg

think you guys for the help on the fluid  filled tires, How is the best way to get rid of the antifreeze, will it come out of the valve when stem is removed. Don,t want to ruin my rims. I guess it will be a pain in the neck to break the bead , home repair.

darg

GlenPettit

Only fill the tire about 75-85% full of fluid, the top 15-25% should be is just air, and at 20PSI pressure it would eliminate any potential flat spots from storage.

Screenshot2013-12-16at81309PM_zps8e25fd3

Available from most any Auto Parts store.  I like to use tubes, just as a safety for any liquid.

Antifreeze (radiator) can be bad and dangerous, careful on disposal, probably have to take it someplace to be disposed of.

A cheap way to fill with tire off and flat, is to run a 1/4" fish-tank clear hose from the valve (insides removed) to the jug, your knees push down on the tire to compress it; with hose down in fluid - release and 8-12 oz. is sucked into the tire for each release.  It works.

Edited by GlenPettit

i967mustang

I always run anti freeze with tubes, never had a problem with rims rotting. Calcium is a whole other story with rotting rims, it is salt and we all know what salt does to steel.

Buzz

If you don't want to fill your tires, you could always make your own wheel weights. Found this drawing from a loooong time ago. Uses barbell weights that you should be able to pick up at yard sales (I know, wrong time of year for those) or the scrap metal yard, otherwise known as the junk yard.

Wheel Weight 100lbs.pdf