Cutlas3391

D-160 Wheel Horse Snowblower Question

Cutlas3391

Hey guys this is the first time i used a D series snowblower on my D-160. I used c series blowers before and never had any real issues. The snowfall we had yesterday was very heavy snow wet snow about 4 inches. So i made my first pass and the snowblower got clogged up. Made my second pass very small cuts in the snow and still got clogged up. I wasn't really impress with the snowblower so i had to pull out the plow and finish the job. I remember my c series snowblowers went through the wet snow with some work but they did the job. The chain on the D snowblower is adjusted right and the belt it adjusted right. The snowblower is all oil and grease up and spins really strong as normal. So my question is im missing something or a trick with this blower and that why its not blowing the wet snow? Thanks for your help 

post-8224-0-31110700-1385649914_thumb.jp

• Like 1

AMC RULES

You did pre spray the auger and chute with silicone? 

• Like 1

Sparky

I've owned a D series blower but never used it. Are you sure your motor is running at max RPM's? Should be 3600 or thereabouts. If the "r's" are low the auger speed will be slow as well.

Mike.............

• Like 1

Trouty56

Got to really watch the speed too....48 inches is a big bite of wet snow....got to ease into it and get the speed just right....to slow and it will back up in the chute....too much and it will clog.....and full throttle like Sparky said above.....AMC RULES has a really good tip about silicone spray.....cut the friction down in the chute....

I never had much luck with throwers but if we get blasted.....it is going on the front of the 180.....but until that happens it is the blade for me....

• Like 2

Cutlas3391

Yea i tried the silicone trick to no luck thanks though... Even tried little oil..

I've owned a D series blower but never used it. Are you sure your motor is running at max RPM's? Should be 3600 or thereabouts. If the "r's" are low the auger speed will be slow as well.

Mike.............

T

Yea i tried the silicone trick to no luck thanks though... Even tried little oil..

Mike.............

The RPMs are good this D is in top shape.

Got to really watch the speed too....48 inches is a big bite of wet snow....got to ease into it and get the speed just right....to slow and it will back up in the chute....too much and it will clog.....and full throttle like Sparky said above.....AMC RULES has a really good tip about silicone spray.....cut the friction down in the chute....

I never had much luck with throwers but if we get blasted.....it is going on the front of the 180.....but until that happens it is the blade for me....

Thanks ill give that try hopefully all that work getting for snow will pay off. Otherwise like you said ill have to get the snow blade out

By the way everybody Happy Thanksgiving

roscoemi

Not sure there is anything more aggravating,I had the same problem on my c series blower last year. About a month ago I pulled it apart and painted the auger, chute and tunnel. I also added rubber belt material to the flats on the center of the auger. No problems this year, it tried to clog a couple times but I backed off for a few seconds and it cleared right out.

• Like 2

Trouty56

Not sure there is anything more aggravating,I had the same problem on my c series blower last year. About a month ago I pulled it apart and painted the auger, chute and tunnel. I also added rubber belt material to the flats on the center of the auger. No problems this year, it tried to clog a couple times but I backed off for a few seconds and it cleared right out.

pics of that rubber belt would be great.....

• Like 1

squonk

That snow we got was really wet. Worst I've ever seen it.I was plowing more water than anything. Felt like I was driving a boat. My loader stalled the hydraulics with a full bucket and it has never done that ever. I'm willing to bet that blower would work just fine on "Normal snow" This crap we got this storm was a bit over the top.

Cutlas3391

That snow we got was really wet. Worst I've ever seen it.I was plowing more water than anything. Felt like I was driving a boat. My loader stalled the hydraulics with a full bucket and it has never done that ever. I'm willing to bet that blower would work just fine on "Normal snow" This crap we got this storm was a bit over the top.

I think your right it was just very heavy snow i was suppose to get 8-14 inches ended up with 4 inches of heavy snow. Lake effect snow today

roscoemi

Here is the rubber pieces that I used to extend the augers in the center to help prevent clogging. They have about a 1/16" clearance in the tunnel, but do rub slightly at the bottom due to the damage of being used on a gravel drive for years. The combo of slick new paint with nothing to stick to, and much smaller clearances at the business point have helped tremendously. I used material for making drive belts for tractor implements from TSC to make mine. I never had any luck with spray or wipe on stuff, it just wears off in minutes.

post-6649-0-20032000-1385679754_thumb.jp

• Like 2

z34monty

The D160 has the 2 exhaust mufflers coming out the front. The heat from the mufflers will warm the blower chute, causing the snow to stick to the chute.Put aluminum foil between the mufflers and the shield. and that should solve the problem. It did for me

Jesse Rieber

I hope all these replies helped you.  I will be getting a D160 next weekend and a D snowblower.  It lacks the lift bars which I am looking for, or if I can get a description and measurements I can make them.  I am also looking for installation instructions.  I down loaded one manual but it is so dark one cannot make out the features in the pictures.  Maybe you can help or guide me with the above.

z34monty

Did u try putting aluminum foil behind the shield

z34monty
On 11/21/2018 at 7:08 PM, Jesse Rieber said:

I hope all these replies helped you.  I will be getting a D160 next weekend and a D snowblower.  It lacks the lift bars which I am looking for, or if I can get a description and measurements I can make them.  I am also looking for installation instructions.  I down loaded one manual but it is so dark one cannot make out the features in the pictures.  Maybe you can help or guide me with the above.

I can take a picture of mine if u still want one

Jesse Rieber

Thanks.  I was dissatisfied with the blower I got and ordered another from A=Z tractor.  It had the lift bars and all components so I'm good.  Thank you for getting back to me.