Antiquated

Towing Capacity

Antiquated

I was thinking the other day about what my C-145 towing capacity might be. I feel like with the gearing it has with the 8 speed it could handle a fair bit of weight. The reason I put this in the transmission forum is because I feel like the limiting factor would be how much weight you can move with it attached directly to the transmission the way the hitch is set up. It seems to me you would crack something before you would bog down the tractor too much. What say you? Am I underestimating my rig?

rmaynard

A few random thoughts on the subject. Your C-145 is equipped with an 8-speed, 8 pinion transmission. That is the most sought-after transmission when building a Wheel Horse pulling tractor. Considering the weight of a sled, a puller does not have much to fear with the transmission being the weak link. Granted, most pullers have special hitches, but I might refer you to a recent thread on for others experiences with towing, etc.

leeave96

I would say that 99% of the time you'd loose traction before breaking anything.  I pulled a pop-up camper with my 314-8 up a small hill in low range, probably 2nd gear, with ags and weight - kind of stupid on my part doing this, but the tractor pulled it, no problem.  BTW, the camper weighs 1500 lbs.

The other consideration is stopping.  If you don't have enough weight to stop what you are pulling, you probably shouldn't be pulling it in the first place.

• Like 2

MalMac

To answer the question, one needs to know are wanting to know how much weight you can actually put on the transmission or how much draw bar pull. (the actual weight being pulled) kinda like a train. A train engine is pulling several thousand tons. If you were to put that same weight on the train engine itself well.........you get the picture. So are you wanting to know just how much weight you can actually put on the hitch or how much weight it can pull.

Antiquated

I guess I'm wondering both. I've never seen any definitive number in any manual. I'll check out the yanking thread now. Thanks!

cleat

I used to pull cars around the yard and into my garage with my Ford LGT165 and as long as I had traction all was well. The only advantage the 165 has is a two speed rear end.

dbartlett1958

Keep in mind that these tractors will pull a whole lot more than they can bring to a stop! Watch the slope with heavy loads behind you.

bowtieguy

Dave...bring your ole 145 over some sunday eve and I show ya what you can pull....be prepared to be "outpulled" with an ole C-165 black hood....but first lets see how much snow you can PUSH!

xring1

I drag around about 1/3 cord green oak on a trailer all the time with my 8 spd C-125 in 2nd gear hi range

slammer302

This load of wood was about the max for me on the c121 had to use low rang to back up and go forward tried 3 gear low rang and it just would not do it the trailer is heavy buy its self had it custom made and then add the wood on it

Tim

you say it would not do it

what would it do?

on that surface I would guess the tires would did a hole

Edited by Tim

pfrederi

The load of coal in this trailer is about 750 lbs and the L107 hauls it up hill from the barn in the rear of the picture.

She has been making a lot of runs this year!!!!

974433304932128.jpg

Hodge71

One thing you need to remember is whatever you are pulling…you also need to stop. Im sure one of these lil guys could pull many tons if it was on wheels and on the flat…now try and stop that if you end up on a slope either up hill or downhill you're either gonna get drug down a hill or pushed down the hill by the load…Not gonna be a pretty sight and might cost you your life.. I had a few high pucker factor moments when I was younger mowing my parents yard and came down the slope in the back yard with a dump trailer full of heavy wet grass from the lawn vacuum…It took just enough weight off the rear axle to make me lose control and end up sliding quite a bit before the tires grabbed again and stopped….  :auto-swerve: just my  :twocents-twocents:

Edited by hodge71

bmsgaffer

From another thread () it appears the loader manual gives us a small portion of this information.

It looks like the "rated" tongue weight of the tractor is 250# w/ wheel weights and 350# w/o wheel weights. It also appeared that his manual recommended that you not fill the tires if you have wheel weights.

I only put rated in quotes because I will be willing to bet those of us that use these as every day workers have exceeded that a time or two... or twelve.

Edited by bmsgaffer

Don1977

The trailer weights around 1500 lbs. empty it may have 2 or 3 hundred pounds of limbs on it .  That about all I want as my yard is far from level.

The Wheel Horse also has a receiver hitch similar to the ones being sold by a member on this board.

SAM_0125.jpg

• Excellent 1