nylyon

Refrigerator repair guys?

nylyon

I've got a kenmore elite french door fridge made b y LG.  On Saturday I noticed that my Ice Cream was melting,  and the fridge was getting warmer as well.

I've narrowed it down to the compressor area.  Noticed that the start would click, the compressor would get hot but not run. I could mess with it and it would eventually start, and continue running until the compressor is commanded off, then it wouldn't restart.  I have ordered a new start and overload because they're inexpensive and easily replaced.  Obviously not knowing the issue, are those usually the culprit's?

The compressor is easily reached, it is literally right there when removing the rear panel.  I now that a new compressor is in the $150-$200 range, any thoughts on the labor to replace (both lines are easily accessible)

SousaKerry

Had a simialr problem a few years back on a similar unit, new starter and overload fixed it right up, also doesn't hurt to give it a good clean out with the shop vac while your under there.  Mine had so much animal hair in it it was amazing it still ran.

nylyon

I vacuumed it out best I could, and the coils were still dusty so I dragged in the air compressor hose and blew EVERYTHING out of there.  I don't think there's anything left in there.

squonk

It's possible the start relay is hanging up causing the start windings not to be cut in and not starting the compressor. Another possibility is a clogged cap tube not allowing the system pressures to equalize. If you try to restart the compressor to soon after it shuts off and the pressure hasn't equalized, you'll end up with a hot compressor and the overload tripping in and out until the pressure drops enough.

After you get the compressor to run, wait for it to shut off on it's own and when it does, listen for hissing and gurgling. That's the sound of the pressures equalizing. The cap tube will have an I.D. of around .040" so it will take a few min. for it to stop. If you don't hear it the tube is probably clogged. You might get a refer guy to come and maybe blow out the tube but if it is clogged that means there is trash in there. Not good.

Refers aren't really made to be worked on too easily. Changing the tube is a PITA. They have to be the exact dia. And length is critical. You have to get into the freezer box and expose the evaporator. Good luck

nylyon

Hopefully it'll be the starter, after replacing, I'll keep an ear out!

Shuboxlover

Mine (Whirlpool) Was Doing Similar.....Replace Start Capacitor And Relay (~$25)

Been Working Great For 4 Years

nylyon

well, put in a new overload and start relay, plugged it in and the compressor kicked right on!  Of course it's been unplugged for 3 days.  Waiting for it to come down to temperature and if the compressor starts after running.

On a positive note, I read on the internet (so I know it's true) that if the start relay rattles when you remove it, it's bad.  Mine sounds like a rattle snake when shaken!  The new one no sound at all.  Fingers crossed!

Got curious, took the relay apart and the insides were a mess!  Been running for a couple hours now, fridge and freezer down to temperature, I'm a happy guy (well about the fridge anyway).  Total bill $30.00 and 2 bandaids (there's some sharp metal in there)

• Like 1

Sparky

Been running for a couple hours now, fridge and freezer down to temperature,

So if I stop by I can be assured that you'll have a cold beer for me... :grin:  ?

Mike.......

nylyon

Sure would be!  Come on over!

squonk

Hopefully the relay being a mess isn't the result of to high an amp load going thru it due to high compressor starting loads. We rewired all of our big cooler and freezers at work so the thermostats close a separate high amp relay that operates a contactor instead of going thru the compressor. The compressor draw at start up we're welding the puny stat contacts shut turning a cooler into a freezer!

Keep a close eye on it for a while.

nylyon

So far so good.  It came down to temperature, the compressor shut off and started right back up again.

• Like 1

nylyon

Just to close this out.  It's working again, so I am quite happy.  While I didn't like this fridge, replacements are so damn expensive so it makes a lot of sense to fix it.

Being an avid RV'er I have quite a few gadgets to make that lifestyle great.  Things like a portable ice maker, and as 12V Coleman Cooler

http://www.coleman.com/product/powerchilltrade-40-quart-thermoelectric-cooler/3000001497?contextCategory=8570#.UnHEoZHIXVM

really come in handy in times like this.  I love that cooler, and highly recommend it to anyone who has the need.