kudzu3

Real nice, you're almost there. :)

zanepetty

Guess I should've taken the exhaust nipple out before I painted it..what's the best way to get this thing out without ruining the paint on my engine. I tried a pipe wrench with no luck..

post-11334-0-43855600-1390597829_thumb.j

shorts

2 medium/large hammers, take the larger of the 2 and hold it on the pipe as close to the engine as you can, take the other hammer and HIT the pipe 180* from the first hammer several times, you want to try to shock the pipe and loosen up the carbon and rust on the pipe threads. your second approach would be to cut the pipe off a couple of inches from the block and then heat it up from the inside, again trying to loosen up the rust and carbon in the threads. third choice cut the pipe closer to the block and then take a hacksaw blade and cut 2 slots lengthwise inside the pipe until you just see the cast iron threads in the block and then use a hammer and chisel from the outside of the pipe to deform the pipe at the cuts and then turn the pipe out.

Note pipe threads are tapered so once they start to turn out they should be easier to turn

zanepetty

Thanks so much. I'll try some if those. No pb blaster or anything right? I'm afraid it will ruin my paint..

zanepetty

I got the exhaust nipple out today. I ended up putting two pipe wrenches on the 180 degrees apart, pushing down on one and pulling up on the other. It finally gave in. Got a nice new one and put my custom muffler on! Its an IH muffler that I had a piece of pipe welded to and I painted. I like it a lot. :) I also put my uni drive sticker on. Not a big deal but it breaks up all the red back there. After doing ALL this and putting all new seals and bearings in the trans I almost regret not rebuilding the engine. But I ran good and didn't smoke..

post-11334-0-42570600-1390779273_thumb.j

post-11334-0-78420500-1390779375_thumb.j

post-11334-0-29333100-1390779432_thumb.j

Edited by zanepetty
  • Like 2

chazm

Looking good Zane... :handgestures-thumbupright:   Just a thought , you may want to put some kind of support bracket on the muffler to keep the nipple from breaking :scared-notify:

51Chevy

That's a good idea I had problem like that on my suburban It was ripping the threads out of the motor so I fixed it with a bolt and some hose clamps.

Edited by 51Chevy

kudzu3

That's gonna be one fine tractor :bow-blue: What did you use to paint the exhaust? I want to paint mine silver but don't know what would be a good heat resistant paint.

zanepetty

I used high heat paint from advanced auto parents. Its vmp brand. & I've never heard of that kind of thing. Please tell me about what kind of support I can make! I do NOT want that to happen!

honestcharlie56

your making my 753 look terrible!!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

hello zane, been following your project along. It looks GREAT. I started tearing down my 854 and as I get on with my project there are many things you did that I have learned from. So I just wanted to say thank you.

Glenn

• Like 1

zanepetty

Thanks so much, Glenn. I have learned SO much and I still have a lot to learn but I'm thankful for all the guys helping me out so much. Couldn't have done it without them. I appreciate the comment Glenn.

• Like 1

Wheel Horse Kid

Looks great! Liking that exhaust! ;)

zanepetty

Thanks!

Hodge71

I would seriously consider some sort of bracket to help with the load of that muffler. That thing is huge to begin with and then you added 3 feet of pipe to it. Thats a ton of load for that nipple and head to handle when driving around. It wont be long before it creates an issue. I also would not consider mowing under any trees or its a goner

Edited by hodge71

zanepetty

It won't be mowed with. Just grading and plowing sometimes. I don't know how I would go about making a bracket at all. Do you have any ideas? I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Hodge71

Do a search for stack brace or stack bracket in the forums.  I just don't want to see you break that casting Zane. Its such a gorgeous machine and once you break that casting the engine is difficult to fix and use again. I went with a much smaller Gravely muffler and a 1 foot stack on my 18 Automatic.  

zanepetty

Thanks a bunch. I don't want to do that for sure. If I went with a smaller one would the brace still b necessary?

rexman72

thanks for sharing with us.

Hodge71

Honestly Zane I can't answer that as I have never put a stack on my single cylinder Kolhers. My 18 is a twin cylinder with very big cast iron exhaust manifolds so The weight is well distributed on both heads. A single cylinder engine is much different as all the load is on one thin casting. There are tons of guys on here with stacks. Just post a question in the tractors section looking for pics and suggestions for a brace

Edited by hodge71

zanepetty

OK will do.

zanepetty

Thanks for everyone's help so much. Ive learned a lot with this project. I didn't know anything going in to it! I still don't know much but you gotta start somewhere I guess. I wanted to post a few pics of her this morning. (Steve, I finished up at 130 your time so I took the liberty of NOT calling you ;)) found out that the break drum shaft and the dang fuel pump mounting gasket have a little leak today. I might never be totally done:( but here it is with dirt and grease all over it :)

post-11334-0-46345500-1392051648_thumb.j

post-11334-0-80687700-1392051672_thumb.j

post-11334-0-19941200-1392051701_thumb.j

post-11334-0-46274400-1392051727_thumb.j

post-11334-0-94841100-1392051752_thumb.j

post-11334-0-46774500-1392051783_thumb.j

post-11334-0-96345200-1392051826_thumb.j

Edited by zanepetty
  • Like 3

redrooster

Nice looking tractor! I'll certainly be glad to have mine back together! :-)

chazm

Well Zane ,from these pics.. it's safe to say your not a :teasing-newbie: anymore... You did an excellent job my man :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright: ... BE Proud of your work... :greetings-clappingyellow:

zanepetty

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. Maybe one day I'll get her just right!