sorekiwi

Bad fuel filters?

sorekiwi

Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with badly performing fuel filters in the last year or so.

My 310 got a new filter and lines when I got it a year or so ago.  I don't use it very much, but about once a month I have to drop the bowl off it and blow the jets out to get it to run properly.

My father-in-laws zero turn got a filter and lines about the same time, and he has similar problems about once a month as well.

Both filters are wix, don't look like they are full off crap, the tanks look reasonably clean.

I have other tractors using the same filters (but a little older) and none of them have had a problem that I remember.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

Terry M

Funny you should bring this up Mike. I've had nothing but problems keeping my stuff going and I just recently figured out stuff is getting into the carb.( My lawn ranger gas tanks are really dirty with rust  and junk)  I took a look at the fuel filters I've been buying at $7.99 a crack from my local hardware store and read on the package that it is a 40 micron filter.  So I started looking around and found some 80 and 150 micron filters for sale at a place not too far from home.  I opted for the 150 micron filter at a easy to swollow $1.29 each in a 10 count package.  Cleaned up my carbs and tested these out and now when I drop the bowl on my carbs they're very very clean.  so far I've cleaned carbs and installed these better filters on three of my four lawn rangers and am very happy with the filters performance.  I'll have to wait and see how they do for the long hall.  

Just my 2 cents :) .... 

• Like 3

jrc0528

Interesting that the 150 micron works better...   I'd say there is a manufacturing issue with the filters causing them to bypass dirty fuel!

A note on the micron ratings...   

A Micron is defined as 1 millionth of a meter, or  0.001 mm, or about 0.000039 inch.  

A filter rated at 40 microns will generally pass any particle smaller than 40 micron, or 0.00156 inch (1.56 thousandths)

A filter rated at 80 microns will generally pass any particle smaller than 80 micron, or 0.00312 inch (3.12 thousandths)

A filter rated at 150 microns will generally pass any particle smaller than 150 micron, or 0.00585 inch (5.85 thousandths)

Actual filter specs will list that the filter blocks X% of xxx micron particulate in a single pass rated at several different particulate size ranges, but we can reasonably well just say it passes anything smaller and traps anything larger since it will trap -almost- all larger, pass -some- slightly smaller, and pass -most- much smaller.

boovuc

Noting the micron ratings.................the smaller the micron rating, the smaller the particles the filter will trap. (Use micron rated filters for our products where I *show up.

*(Truth  in posting used here).

If you have a very bad gas tank with a wide range of particulates, you may be plugging the prior used filters quickly resulting in them possibly splitting the micron papers inside. This would allow unabridged particles through and causing your issues.

The 150m filter may be holding up better and is capturing the larger particles but it would still pass the smaller micron particulates which means your carb will eventually crap out again. Just not as quickly as a big particle would do.

Judging by the shear amount of filters available through many outlets for small engines, I would bet there is a huge disparity of quality between them. And I have no answer as to a good or bad fuel filter. I usually buy what is on sale without so much as looking as micron ratings. (Which I guess is a bad thing).

How do the Redsquare members feel on what are better and best filters or better yet.....which ones to avoid? It would be interesting to know.

Terry M

I guess I thought that the higher the number, the better the filtering capability.  I guess your knowledge would explain why the ones I bought were cheaper...  I guess I'll have to look into this some more.  

But, it is true to my eyes that the new ones (150 micron ) I bought are working better.... But those 40 micron from my local hardware store sure let that crap pass through!!!

I plan on putting a few hours on my new filters when I go to Jacksonville this weekend.   Then I'll check and let you know what ends up in my carburetor bowls. :tools-wrench:

Don1977

I'm not saying you didn't get bad fuel filters, my guess is you got old fuel. Wix usually make high quality products.

SousaKerry

I work with filtration a lot at work on both Hydraulic and Pneumatic systems, I would recommend on a dirty tank double filtering your gas.  For the first filter out of the tank use the larger size like a 150 micron and then use the 40 micron.  This will capture the big stuff in the more robust filter and keep it from tearing the element in the 40 micron.  Whenever we filter below 40 microns we always double filter. 

This is kind of the theory of the screen inside the tank on the fuel tap.  I know when I get one plugged up or it has disintegrated I will often rip the stinking thing off and figure that the filter will catch it.  I shouldn't do it but because I am cheep or I just want to get running again I do.  Hopefully I later remember to replace it later...

sorekiwi

I'm not saying you didn't get bad fuel filters, my guess is you got old fuel. Wix usually make high quality products.

I normally buy Wix filters for just that reason.

I often accuse my father-in-law of having old or dirty fuel (or dirty fuel jugs), but my 310 gets good fresh fuel out of clean jugs.  I cleaned the tank out when I got it (a year or so ago) and replaced the lines and added the filter at the same time. 95% of the time it is ethanol free gas too (as I'm a believer!) but occasionally some "standard" gas gets used.

Thanks for the comments guys, I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same thing, seems like this summer all I have been doing is cleaning carbs.

Edited by sorekiwi

MalMac

I know this may sound trivial and I don't want to insult anybody here. A lot of the filters have a flow direction and only filter one way. Don't ask how I know. Just got in too big a hurry when replacing one. It can happen. Nice big arrow point which way the filter should go. Sometimes I amaze myself at the stupid things I am capable of.

Terry M

Just wanted to add an updated comment...   This past week I winterized and put 4 of my 5 wheel horse tractors in storage.   The three tractors filters I replaced with the newer 150 micron vs. the 40 micron...  the carbs with the 150 filter were really clean when the float bowls were removed.   I guess I won't be buying those 40 microns from my local hardware store any more.    and those three tractors have run really nice too with no problems.  goes to show that " better" filters don't always work better.

Just my 2 cents :)

• Like 2