njm1987

Close Enough for Horse Shoes

njm1987

Hello everyone!! A few weeks ago I was fortunate to stumble upon a pretty nice 312-8 with 675 hours.  Much to my wife’s dismay, I drug it home but once she took it for a drive she was smiling from ear to ear.  :handgestures-thumbupright:   She actually said she liked it better than my 520.  I kinda scratched my head and just said ok dear. :scratchead:

Anyway, I decided I wanted to put 23x10.5-12 on the rear of my 312 instead of the 23x9.5-12 that is stock.  I found a set of Goodyear tires without rims at a consignment sale that came home with me.  Then the hunt for rims began….Low and behold I found a set of rims that my neighbor had laying around his garage.  I was told they came off his CASE and he didn’t need them anymore.

So tonight I decided to scuff them up and paint them metallic silver to cover up the red.  I have yet to find an exact match to the factory silver WH put on their wheels that I am happy with.  I have found though, if you have a nick in your factory rim, a Sharpie Metallic Silver marker is the best for the task of touching it up.  IMHO.

So my question is this:  I blended a mix of metallic silver and Smoke Grey paint to produce the color of the rims below, do they look close enough for horse shoes?  I can’t decide if I’m happy with the color or not or if I need to do a grey metallic.  I’d appreciate any opinion.   Thanks!!

Below is also a pic of the 312 they wheels and tires are going on.

post-11353-0-29500300-1379298527.jpg

post-11353-0-19898100-1379298946.jpg

post-11353-0-52807100-1379298720_thumb.j

post-11353-0-20581500-1379298772.jpg

post-11353-0-40030600-1379298897.png

• Like 1

Ken B

From the pics they look pretty darn good to me. Tractors look great, I really like that Work Horse!

AMC RULES

Nothing like nice clean shoes.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Coadster32

Looks good from my house. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Kelly

If it's not perfect just shoot the front rims to match, but looks good.

On a side note you said these are Case rims, have you test fit them for the proper back spacing?? and your installing 10.5" wide tires on them, are they the 8.5" wide wheels?? if narrower rims, they will not lay flat, and will bulge up in the middle, and bulge out on the sides, and could give you clearance issues 

953 nut

:WRS:    Glad to hear that your wife likes the newest member of the herd,

:text-coolphotos:    I have come close to the :wh:  silver by spaying silver and then a clear befor the silver is dry.  Not perfict, but close. Yours look real good to me.

:USA: 

njm1987

Sorry it took me so long to get on here. This week has been crazy so far. Thanks everyone for the posts! I'm putting the tires on the wheels tonight. Ill post pics of the 312 with the deep dishes as soon as I get them on.

njm1987

Ok, the tires are mounted on the wheels and on the 312.  I think it looks cool with the wider tires and the deep dish wheels.  The paint matches the front better than what I though it would. :)

post-11353-0-66475500-1379640890_thumb.j

post-11353-0-53740300-1379641830_thumb.j

post-11353-0-77556500-1379641873_thumb.j

546cowboy

Looks darn good to me. I have been using silver barn paint for my silver wheels. You know what you use to paint the roof. Works good and lasts.

• Like 1

JoeM

Looks like an animal! I put a set of over sized tires, All Trail II 25", on my 520 FEL Machine, It did not come out as nice as those Good Years! Sweet!

post-6026-0-30996000-1384973772.jpg

kudzu3

Nice...just plain NICE!