Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

Wheel Horse Inverter Generator

MaineDad

Guys:

I wanted to start a thread on a project that I have been dreaming up for a long time, that I finally started on today. It's a Wheel Horse Inverter/Generator!

InverterC_zps5854e939.jpg

I wanted some mobile power plus the ability to store power in a deep cycle marine battery, so on the shopping list is an alternator, deep cycle marine battery, power inverter, and some angle iron. I did a lot of research on what type of alternator to purchase and found the best one to use was a 3 wire GM Delco-Remy 10SI that puts out 63 amps. The key to this alternator is that it has a internal regulator. Do a google search on "Homemade inverter generators" and you'll find out more.

Of course one of the best features of our beloved WH tractors is the side PTO. It lines up perfectly with the alternator pulley! I supported the alternator with a 2 foot piece of 1" angle iron using the existing holes on the tractor frame;

InverterA_zps64f308e3.jpg

I will do the same thing on the other side with another piece of angle iron so that I can create a base for the battery and power inverter to set on. I plan on using wood as the base of the whole setup.

Here's how I will adjust the tension for the alternator belt. I will probably switch from the spring to a turn-buckle screw to keep the tension constant;

InverterB_zpsf08d55c2.jpg

So right now I am back to researching what deep cycle marine battery and power inverter to buy. I have always had good luck with Die Hard batteries so I may go that route. I will most likely go with a 1,000 watt power inverter with digital display and USB charge port so I can monitor the voltage as the battery is charging or being discharged while charging my cell phone if necessary. I hope to be able to use power tools where I ever I need them and of course this would come in useful during a power outage.

I will post updates as I can and will try to explain in detail how this is going to be wired. Perhaps someone here has done something similar and has some suggestions. Enjoy!

gwest_ca

Don't know how long the brushes will last. You are rotating it in the opposite direction. Can you turn the alternator around?

Garry

MaineDad

Garry:

In my research, I learned that the alternator will produce power no matter which way it spins, but I could turn it around...

gwest_ca

Yes they will produce power turning either way.

Say the brushes where mounted on a clock face. If they came straigth down on 12 o'clock they would likely work but they don't. They come staight down at 1 o'clock. With the clock rotation clock-wise the brushes are actually trailing or draging on the commutator. Rotate the clock counter clock-wise and the brushes are being pushed and will bounce.

Good project. Have wanted to do this for a long time but have no more than collected the parts.

Garry

Jeff-C175

The cooling fan running the wrong way won't be pushing much air through the alt either... but maybe if it's only loaded to the extent that it will be charging the battery, that might not be an issue?

Save Old Iron

any draw over 5 amps from the inverter pack will have the alternator running at max output.

the fan will be a critical part in keeping the alternator cool.

bidirectional fans are available.

swarfeater

Die hards, while pretty good are not a true deep cycle battery. if you look ot the deep cycle rating it's pretty low compared to a true deep cycle one, though much less expensive.

Tankman

Great post! I've been toyin' with the idea for sometime.

Keep us updated! Would make a great winter project.

Nice work, good thinkin'!

cheesegrader

My boats all have optima batteries now.

They are not cheap, but they have never failed me, and they take a pounding on my boats.

THe oldest is four years old, and still going.

• Like 1

jbumgarner

I may be ignorant here, but would it be cheaper to buy a belt driven generator head and mount it up.  This would accomplish the same thing without having an alternator and mounting the battery.  If I am looking at this backwards or something let me know, because I don't have a generator and would love to have something to take care of us under power outages.  I had been looking at this one.  What do you think.  Now I look back at it I see how your way may be cheaper, but I thought it would be by much.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_21008_21008?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Generators-_-Generator%20Heads-_-165915&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=165915&gclid=CI-L2J6L0bkCFbBDMgodEzoAdw

MaineDad

The goal is not only to be able to create power but to store it as well. If this is done right I could plug in a power tool and use the power from the battery without the engine running. The engine only runs to charge the battery back up.

jbumgarner

That makes since.  I didn't think of that.  Cool

Jeff-C175

One thing to keep in mind about the belt driven generator heads is that the engine speed needs to be tightly controlled in order to produce 60 Hz power.  Most of todays electronics are pretty picky about frequency and THD (distortion) of the sine wave.  Power tools don't really care about that.

MaineDad, are you going for a pure sine wave inverter?

Fordiesel69

Inverters lack starting or "in rush current" abilitys.  So the power tool will struggle to start, but once started should run ok.  Inverter sine waves are also squared off, so there will be noise on whatever you are using.  A generator head would be a better bet, in the same way you are hooking it up.

WH nut

One other thing, a 1000 watt invertor wont run a lot. Small power tools or some lights. The will do a coffee maker but they struggle and the battery wont last long while the alternator will have its tongue hanging out trying to keep up.  If you are going to run the tractor anyway a generator head would be a better choice. If you still want to have a invertor for back up you are better off running it off your car with jumpers.

Jeff-C175

Inverter sine waves are also squared off

Not all of them.  There are 'pure sine wave' inverters available, but they are quite a bit more money.  The ones you might buy locally are all going to be what are called 'modified sine wave', which means that they will be high distortion (THD).

A little math:

A 1000 W generator at full output means that on the 120VAC side you will be drawing appx 8.3 A

On the 12VDC feed side, this 8.3A will become almost 100 (yes, one hundred) Amps, and that is assuming that the inverter is 100% efficient.  It won't be... maybe only 80% or so ... worst case... that means the actual current from the battery with efficiency factored in is more like 120 AMPS. 

It also means that a 63 Amp alternator isn't going to allow a 1000W inverter to draw full power without drawing down the battery at the same time.

Yes, some of the current will come from the battery, so you MAY be able to draw full power from the inverter, but even with the alternator running full tilt, the battery will still discharge.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Chevydave

The older Optima batteries were great, but the new ones are a different story.

I put one in my 07 jeep it lasted 2 years. One in my old Chevy lasted three.

WH nut

So how did this project work out for you?