Sign in to follow this  
jbumgarner

Rear Discharge Gear Drive Deck Issues

jbumgarner

I recently picked up a rear engine rider to mow the yard at a rental house once I move and yesterday I finally got the deck on and everything hooked up.  I rebuilt the carb and have it running good, so I tried to engage the deck and BANG, BANG, BANG, so I disengaged the blades thinking a blade was hitting the side of the deck.  Lift the mower and found that one blade spins without the other spinning and this is causing the blades to hit.  I would assume I have either a broken gear or a sheared key somewhere.  I plan to take off the deck again this weekend and check it out, but thought someone here may have had similar problems and could lend some advise.

squonk

Sounds like a sheared gear key. Get LOTS OF RAGS!!

SousaKerry

...and lots of change for the swear jar.

Those things can be a real pain until you figure out the exact order that everything goes back in.

jbumgarner

Thanks for the advise, looks like I will be keeping my kids away while I work this weekend.  I'll make sure to stock the cooler up with plenty of beer as well.  That should help.

jbumgarner

It was a bit of a pain to figure out the order for reassembly, but all and all not to bad.  Back together and cut the front yard.  Cuts pretty good.  Engine still a little off, my buddy only cleaned and adjusted the carb.  still think it needs a rebuild.  That for another day.  Thanks for the advise on the mowing deck.