Sign in to follow this  
Coadster32

Newer hobby to me

Coadster32

I've been around RS for a while now, but have been a little distant with things as of late. Still love my WH, so don't get me wrong. Just figured I'd share this link with whoever wants to check it out.

http://rides.hotrod.com/ride/1213672/coadster32/1979/chevrolet/camaro/

Here's another thing I've gotten into as well. (Won't mention any names on this one though.) :hide:

http://homedistiller.org/

Both our kids have also gotten into extra activities, and my wife is the president of the school PTO...which keeps me juggling things as well. She puts a lot of work into it, and received the parent of the year award from the city for our school. It was great to see all that hard work get recognized.

• Like 1

kaiser

i too dabblein that second link. or should i say i did at the old house good times!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Why do you guys have to live so far away??? :bow-blue:   I think distilling and wine making are the best hobbies.  Everyone wants to see your setup and sample the wares.  Want to see my stamp collection??...I did not think so. :) .

• Like 1

Coadster32

Little leary about posting pics of this...but here is a couple.

Build1_zps1d093d31.jpg

Build4_zpsa471706b.jpg

Build11_zps2cf1a432.jpg

Firstrunhooch3_zps7ca773cb.jpg

Firstrunhooch2_zps1928d867.jpg

Home built from a pressure cooker, 2" copper column "packed", homespun condenser.  Making neutral that time. Flavoring went very well, and product didn't last one night. (next morning wasn't too bad) :beer:

• Like 1

squonk

Why do you guys have to live so far away??? :bow-blue:   I think distilling and wine making are the best hobbies.  Everyone wants to see your setup and sample the wares.  Want to see my stamp collection??...I did not think so. :) .

I'll look at your stamps if you play with my Bongo Monkeys!

image_zpsdc258d04.jpg

• Like 1

Ken B

I used to be heavily into the car hobby for many yrs., the trouble with that was any little change I wanted to make to my Chevelle would set me back some serious dough. I still enjoy going to some of the the local cruise nights. The show at the Southbury training school has always been a favorite. Wicked nice show cars (and trucks) show up there, and a lot of them! They also have a nice swap meet area, ya never know what will show up there. I think the show is this weekend. If you haven't been there its worth the trip Chris. Its not too far for you. Real nice Camaro Chris, I bet it hauls the mail! I had a WICKED nice all original 78 Z-28 with a 4 speed that I should have kept, also had a real nice 79 Z-28.

Until my ship comes in its Wheel Horse's and vintage boats and old outboards for me. Its nice to have two hobbies, this way you don't burn yourself out on just having one. I went to one of my Antique Outboard meets last weekend with Stevebo and his son Brennan with our boats. I had a blast! (I think Steve and Brennan will be going again also) It always come down to the people within a hobby, I have found that Wheel Horse people and Antique Outboard people are just about the nicest you can know...

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Squonk, you are not right. :)   but I can see a bunch of drunk monkeys in the near future. :orcs-cheers:   I doubt I could drink enough to make them monkeys look good. :ychain:

Chris, I don't think I would worry about the pictures too much...they have stills for sale in the wine shop where I buy my wine making supplies.

• Like 1

squonk

Squonk, you are not right. :)   but I can see a bunch of drunk monkeys in the near future. :orcs-cheers:   I doubt I could drink enough to make them monkeys look good. :ychain:

Chris, I don't think I would worry about the pictures too much...they have stills for sale in the wine shop where I buy my wine making supplies.

Steve, the monkey in the front left is Frieda and she has on a green sweater with a gold " G " . The one behind her is Ellouise and she's got on a Bills hoodie. Send me a little Bears sweater and I have one named "Brent" it would look good on!
  • Like 1

Coadster32

Hey Ken, I have the flyer for last years show on my desk at work. I can't make it this year though. I also missed the Bethany airport show too. Hey have a bunch of local ones in town at the burger joints and such. I remember the story you told me about you wife dropping the hammer one time back in the day on your car, just to see what it could do. Thanks for the compliments as well.

Steve and Mike....just cracking me up. Defiantly agree about the drunk monkey stuff!!   

The build was prob. just as cool as the product. It's called a bokakob, slant plate reflux design. I made in in such so if I ever want to use a bigger boiler, I can just unbolt it and do so. So strange that the more people that find out, the more people are distilling themselves. Pretty cool. I made apple pie, and it came out really good. Next round will be pumpkin pie, and I'm going after Blackberry Brandy for my brother. (I'll use white wine for that one.)

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Chris, I know of a few on Red Square the do what you are...could start a club.  Every hour is HAPPY HOUR. :woohoo:

Drink responsibly...and stay thirsty my friend. :)

I knew a guy that used to have a real monkey.  They used to get him drunk.  One time the monkey decided to jump on the cat and go for a ride. The cat freaked out and took off with the monkey on his back.  The cat headed for the basement stairs and ducked under them...knocking the monkey out cold on the riser.  What a riot!!! :ROTF:

Edited by stevasaurus

kaiser

my favorite recipe is so easy, large can of unhopped light malt, 2lbs corn sugar, i packet red start champange yeast. this is for a 2 gallon batch that only yeilds a quart or so, but it's so smooth and comes out @ around 150 proof.

i proof it down to about 110-115. i have a little 4 gallon stove top i built,i'll run 2-3 gallons of mash through it, it doens't yeild much but it's really good white likker. i want to finish my 15 gallon but copper prices are insane.

just make sure to remove the heads and the tails fellas!

my other hobbies take up most of my spare $$.

i race r/c cars on a regular basis. and i've got my vw's and this new wheelhorse addiction.

i used to collect military surplus rifles but the cost of ammo has limited that and i've sold off most of them.

Coadster32

any pics of the VW's??

kaiser

here's a few. i can't find my modded 74 beetle. our old picture server is gone and i have them somewhere.

the blue one is a 2001 new beetle 1.8t, with a big turbo and too many mods to list. 400whp 170+mph high 11 low 12 qtr mile

the bus i sold and the guy did that to it, shortened it. now it's a wheelie machine

the blue 76 rabbit is my best friends, you can see the bus unmolested in the background. (edit, oops cant up load that one)

i've had two 74 beetles, 2 74 super beetle, the 79 bus, 95 jetta, 2001 beetle, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta wagon 1.8t, 2004 passat 1.8t, 2006 passat 2.0t and now drive a 2013 passat 2.5l. (i work for vw lol)

post-9777-0-28839800-1378928656.jpg

post-9777-0-71385900-1378928668.jpg

post-9777-0-91453600-1378928725.jpg

Edited by kaiser

squonk

Every time I see a bus I think of my brother's 68. About 72 he turned it into a hippie van and headed to Ca. I think it got as far as Colorado.

Edited by squonk

Coadster32

Wicked cool!! Man...that's fast.

c161rat

Home Distilling?????? I think I may know a little about that.........Shhhh Dont tell anyone!!!!! Especially Stevasaurus!!!!!! LOL

IMG00065-20091205-1336.jpg

IMG00061-20091205-1024.jpg

IMG00060-20091205-1023.jpg

Edited by c161rat
  • Like 3

c161rat

Chris,

In all seriousness please be careful with your home distilling hobby. There is a lot to be said about going blind and making stuff that is harmful to you. Especially on the small batches that you are running. The Heads and Tails are not easily diluted in small batches. check out this link and read the the segment about operation. These are the plans I used 7 years ago to build my still....

http://moonshine-still.com/

Edited by c161rat

AMC RULES

Curious...think that home distilled stuff might be used to clean a carb?     :eusa-think: 

• Like 1

Coadster32

Nice offset head design. I thought about building that one, but went a little cheaper and alternative route. Do you have the whole column packed under the return? Also can't see it that's a tri-clamp on the mounting.

c161rat

Thanks Chris. 

The column is packed to just under where the reflux tube enters the column. I used glass marbles instead of the expensive column packing material. The clamps holding the column to the Keg are home made. I basically cut box tubing in half and drilled a hole in the middle and there are bolts attached to the keg the box tubing being sort of an upside down u and the bolt comes through it attach a nut and tighten it up and whalla!!!!! LOL.....The base of the column called the bell is a stainless steel dog bowl.....I had to double them up however for more rigidity....

stevasaurus

OH OH...Ratt came out of the closet. :)   I still have about 2 fingers left Joe. Excellent sipping stuff. :)

• Like 2

AMC RULES

OH OH...Ratt came out of the closet. :)  

:scared-eek:   You mean...the cellar, don't you Steve?    :ROTF:  

• Like 2

c161rat

Craig,

Is carb another name for throat or tongue or tummy or anything else related to swallowing...cause if it is, it would clean that up for sure!!!!! LOL

OH OH...Ratt came out of the closet. :)   I still have about 2 fingers left Joe. Excellent sipping stuff. :)

We will have to see what we can do about replenishing that supply.........LOL

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Well Joe, I'm thinking what you're making there wouldn't be considered "neutered crap"...

so, maybe this is what other "members" are using to clean their :wh: carburetors too.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I think I would like to try to do this. :eusa-think:

Edited by stevasaurus