Sign in to follow this  
userj8670

Raider vs C160

userj8670

Just curious but what would be the advantages of owning one over the other.  Both of these tractors seem to be forum favorites and I would like to know more about each.

Jim

daveoman1966

Raiders (8, 9, 10, 12, 14) were kinda the predecessors of the 'C-100, C-120, C160 tractors.  In that mix also is the Charger line, which have the automatic trans, and have styling more like Raiders.  The 1971 and 72 Bronco 14 is another popular line (to me at least).  Some just like to looks of one over another.  Others swear by pulling power, utility, convenience, or whatever they are particular of / for.   In any case, they are are quite durable and dependable, given common sense use and maintenance.

• Like 1

userj8670

I seen that some of the pics of the 160s had hydro lines on them?

C-160 Auto

I seen that some of the pics of the 160s had hydro lines on them?

The C-160 auto had a hyd lift for the deck or other attachments. The C-160 with a manual transmission had a manual lift and no hyd lines.

SousaKerry

When you look at all of those tractors they are really just an evolution of the same design.  The names were just marketing naming them to make them sound cool.  Every year saw some improvement from the previous year for one reason or another but they made the same basic tractor from 1968-1979.  Some would say that the hood change to black hoods in 1980 were still the same basic tractor with different sheet metal, and in fact you can find common parts that will fit from 1960's all the way to the end of production some 40 years later.

Irv

One advantage of the C-series is the attach-a matic system that allows the use of attachments all the way thru the 3 and 400 series.

JackC

When I saw this picture of a restored C-160 i decided I had to have one.

userj8670

When you look at all of those tractors they are really just an evolution of the same design.  The names were just marketing naming them to make them sound cool.  Every year saw some improvement from the previous year for one reason or another but they made the same basic tractor from 1968-1979.  Some would say that the hood change to black hoods in 1980 were still the same basic tractor with different sheet metal, and in fact you can find common parts that will fit from 1960's all the way to the end of production some 40 years later.

So essentially a C160 is just another name for a Raider 10,12, or 14?  I cant think of what all they could have changed or improved upon since they look identical for the most part

One advantage of the C-series is the attach-a matic system that allows the use of attachments all the way thru the 3 and 400 series.

Im not familiar with the attach- a-matic system?  Could you elaborate a little please?

When I saw this picture of a restored C-160 i decided I had to have one.

I can definatly see why lol.  That is a really sharp looking machine!  

Digger 66

Is it practical ( for someone with good mechanical / fabrication skills ) to retrofit a Raider with the pump & related items from a C-series ?

SousaKerry

It can and has been done, but why not just wait for a C-1X0 with Hydraulic lift and save yourself the frustration.