Sign in to follow this  
WHnovice

Weak fuel pump

WHnovice

My B-100 will not run.   Firing starter fluid into the carb results in the engine running fine until the starter fluid is used.   Checking the fuel pump pressure by removing the gas line from the carb and then cranking results in little pumps of gas, but no real pressure.  I've rebuilt the carb and it seems to be working fine ( on starter fluid   :) ).  There is no visible damage to the diaphragm or the small valves.   Should I look for a rebuild kit or replace the pump?  Any ideas.

Thanks

daveoman1966

I had a B-100 and the 10hp engine ran good, until I broke the connecting rod. 

The smoke in this pic deomnstrates that it did run and that means the fuel pump was ok on it.  

If you figure that your fuel pump is bad, I can send this one to you for $37. 

my direct email is:  daveoman@windstream.net

and I'm in n/w PA.

ps... I have the carb from that engine too...  It is in EXCELLENT condition as I recently  24-hour soaked it in carb cleaner. 

The throttle plate in this carb is not worn out at all....still nice and firm like it otter be.  $75 for this carb.

Edited by daveoman1966

wallfish

You can try testing your carb by using another tank to gravity feed it with fuel. If it runs good like that, then you know you have a fuel delivery problem somewhere. Make sure the screen in the tractor's tank is clean, fuel filter not clogged and the fuel lines are clean and not collapsing.

It seems from what you describe that the little check valves in the pump are not sealing properly. You can test them by blowing and sucking air through them. They should only allow flow in one direction. If they leak air, they leak fuel too which results in a weak pressure. Use a long piece of hose for testing so you don't get gas in to your mouth.

I've had some pretty good luck with the old metal body pumps and fixed 3 or 4 just by cleaning the ports and flipping over the little black disks on the check valves so they seal better. I used a little wire brush attachment with a Dremel tool to clean the ports up. Just be careful not to let those little springs fly when you take it apart, they're hard to find if they do. 

squonk

If it is the pump install an Electric pump. Problem solved plus it will prime the line if you run it out of gas.

rmaynard

If the pump is spurting gas, it's probably okay. How far does it spurt? You don't need many spurts to fill the carburetor bowl. Sound more like a carburetor problem than a pump problem.

• Like 1

Hodge71

If the pump is spurting gas, it's probably okay. How far does it spurt? You don't need many spurts to fill the carburetor bowl. Sound more like a carburetor problem than a pump problem.

:text-yeahthat:  I also wouldnt be running any small engine for any time on starter fluid....guaranteed to destroy it.

• Like 1