Sign in to follow this  
timo4352

How to keep the deck clean

timo4352

So I flipped my deck over today to sharpen the blades. And then started cleaning out the gunk.

How would you guys handle keeping this deck clean?

Notice the three triangle shaped pieces in each section? They unbolt - and under it was packed full of dirt. That part is not so bad.

Worse yet is the space around the spindle - The more I dig the more junk comes out. It's like a deck within a deck - and the space in between is full of clippings and dirt. 

I stick a dowel rod up in there to dig the gunk out and it will go in like 7 or 8 inches all around.

How am I supposed to keep this clean?

If it just stays full all the time and gets wet I'm afraid the deck is going to rust out prematurely.

Thanks for your help. If you need more or different pics, let me know.

(I should note that the deck is a 42 rear discharge and the three compartments are all full circles)

My brother said he thought it might be a finish mower - does that make sense?

I'll have to get up a pic of the full bottom next time.

Tim

9453060483_5db9901622_z.jpg9453060387_c892ca72d7_z.jpg

kaiser

I've never seen a deck like that. What tractor/year is that?

Granted I've only worked on a few decks from the late 70's - 80's.

Those triangle peices look like they would really mess up the flow of grass.

Edited by kaiser

timo4352

The tractor is a 1985 310-8

The deck number is 0542MR03 - 51411

Got a pic of the full bottom.

9453242353_c74464782e_z.jpg

DOC in Kentucky

I have a deck similar to that on a John Deere. It had an optional "Mulching kit" on the original invoice when I got it used. I assumed the plastic baffles is what helped the blades mulch the clipping into finer bits. It really helps on the Deere as clippings are almost non-existent when I mow, even if its a little taller grass to start with.  

leeave96

The deck you have is a recycler deck.  Actually it's a 42 inch rear discharge deck with a HEAVY baffle bolted under it.

When I bought my 314-8 back in 1998, I didn't buy a deck - I wanted to find a used deck to save some $$$'s.  A week later, the dealer called and said he had a 42 inch rear discharge deck - which was what I wanted.  The deck had been sold to a guy earlier in the year and he was very much unhappy with it.  He returned the deck for a side discharge deck and I wound-up buying it for half price.  For all practical purposes, it was a new deck - which suited me.  I remember when we loaded the deck onto the tailgate of the truck - it struck me as being really HEAVY!

On the way home, I went to my Brother's house and in scoping out the deck and reveling in the deal I got, we flipped the deck over to see what the blades looked like.  I found out why the deck was so heavy, it had that recycler baffle under it.

I tried to mow with the recycler, but it seemed like my grass was always to long and the tractor would choke down.  The cut was awful!

I found that all I had to do was remove a couple of bolts, lift out the baffle, put the bolts back on place and I had myself a rear discharge deck.

To answer your question - you can only mow very dry grass and hope it doesn't collect underneath.  If you remove the triangular pieces, you defeat the recycler IMHO.  I tried the baffle in my deck a couple of times, but for me it was not the solution.

The other answer to your question - how to keep your deck from rusting out?  With the baffle in place, you probably can't.  If you really like the recycler (and some do), I would suggest keeping an eye out for other used 42 inch rear discharge decks.  I've got spare shells for my 42 and 48 side discharge decks.  My yard has wet places in it and sometimes I just have to mow after the dew falls or it rains.  Wet grass and my decks are here to stay, so my method of combating the rust is spare shells.  Live with the rust and replace the shell one of these days.

Just for kicks, you might try your deck without the recycler baffle.  I think you will like it.  It will certainly lighten the load on your engine.

Good luck,

Bill

Forest Road

The deck you have is a recycler deck.  Actually it's a 42 inch rear discharge deck with a HEAVY baffle bolted under it.

When I bought my 314-8 back in 1998, I didn't buy a deck - I wanted to find a used deck to save some $$$'s.  A week later, the dealer called and said he had a 42 inch rear discharge deck - which was what I wanted.  The deck had been sold to a guy earlier in the year and he was very much unhappy with it.  He returned the deck for a side discharge deck and I wound-up buying it for half price.  For all practical purposes, it was a new deck - which suited me.  I remember when we loaded the deck onto the tailgate of the truck - it struck me as being really HEAVY!

On the way home, I went to my Brother's house and in scoping out the deck and reveling in the deal I got, we flipped the deck over to see what the blades looked like.  I found out why the deck was so heavy, it had that recycler baffle under it.

I tried to mow with the recycler, but it seemed like my grass was always to long and the tractor would choke down.  The cut was awful!

I found that all I had to do was remove a couple of bolts, lift out the baffle, put the bolts back on place and I had myself a rear discharge deck.

To answer your question - you can only mow very dry grass and hope it doesn't collect underneath.  If you remove the triangular pieces, you defeat the recycler IMHO.  I tried the baffle in my deck a couple of times, but for me it was not the solution.

The other answer to your question - how to keep your deck from rusting out?  With the baffle in place, you probably can't.  If you really like the recycler (and some do), I would suggest keeping an eye out for other used 42 inch rear discharge decks.  I've got spare shells for my 42 and 48 side discharge decks.  My yard has wet places in it and sometimes I just have to mow after the dew falls or it rains.  Wet grass and my decks are here to stay, so my method of combating the rust is spare shells.  Live with the rust and replace the shell one of these days.

Just for kicks, you might try your deck without the recycler baffle.  I think you will like it.  It will certainly lighten the load on your engine.

Good luck,

Bill

Ditto that! I too removed the mulching insert. Much happier without it. And the only way to clean the deck is to remove the insert. I remove and flip my deck every fall. Scrape and rinse clean. Then paint it with primer. I might try POR15 one of these days.

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

POR 15 is very good stuff to coat the underside of the wheel horse mower decks.  I have used it on two decks that have four years service and they are still in very good shape.  You can clean them off with a power washer or hose during and or at end of season.   

POR 15 is not cheap -it is currently selling for more than $45 a quart but it is great stuff.   The deck will need to be cleaned very well and using the primer or at least two coats improves the quality of the job.

kaiser

por adhere's better to rusty metal, or prepped (etched) metal.

if you do get some por get the sampler kit. it comes with 4 or 6 little cans. the cans do not like to be resealed.

well, you learn something new everyday, i had no idea wh made a deck like that. i must say i'm not impressed, looks like it would not work very well at all.

i'd take it off if it were mine.

timo4352

I'm going to give it a chance first before I give up on it. I sharpened the blades, and getting it cleaned out, it may just cut OK. I'm used to mulching so I'd like to keep it that way.

I must say after cutting the yard I had like no buildup of cut grass on top of the deck - like the size of a half dollar. My craftsman deck would be all loaded up in and around the belts and cover. This thing - nothing!

I'm working on an idea for keeping the stuff out from in between the two housings underneath.

Digger 66

I just finished mine , probably the first time its been done ( I just took ownership this spring )

The spindles were tight & true so I opted not to disturb them , just fresh grease each use .

Deckbefore_zps14706441.jpg

Bottomafter_zps63cd2387.jpg

Topafter_zpsc7fd81f1.jpg                                                                                

Edited by Digger 66

timo4352

Today I seperated the baffle from the housing. You can see how full of gunk it was. Just four bolts to take the baffle insert out.

I'll be contemplating how to deal with this thing as I'm cleaning it up. Blocking up the spindle holes somehow...  :eusa-think:

Tim

9462907966_60c77ac37d_z.jpg

decksetter

Wow that baffle is huge!

I've never had a recycler deck, but I like to pressure wash the under sides of my decks now and then. You'll get wet grass all over you but you'll get it out easier and faster than with a scraper.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jeff-C175

Pressure washer is my favorite toy out of all my power equipment... like it even better than my WH!  ( DON'T SHOOT! I'M UNARMED! )

Clean that all up, a couple coats of POR15 and you should be good to go.

Maybe some kinda thick rubber 'gaskets' around the spindle housings?  Like a piece of stall mat or something... cut round pieces, nut and bolt onto mulcher housing.  Round hole in center slightly smaller than spindle... just thinking out loud...

brandonozz

First of all I haven't seen it with my own eyes, but ..... my Father in law was telling me about my Brother in law's JD that was purchased new about a year ago.  His deck has a place for hooking up a garden hose to the deck and turning on the water to wash out the deck with the blades turning.  Don't know how effective it is but it seems like it would do a good job of getting most of the debris out of the deck, especially the wet grass that sticks to the deck that an air hose wont dislodge.  Seems like three nozzels connected with some tubing to a garden fitting would be a easy modification if it was effective at removing all the grass and dirt.

Tankman

Be sure to paint the spindles too! I've seen too many "eaten" spindles. Ouch!

Those deck hose connections do "squat." You can purchase 'em at Home Cheapo off the shelf, a waste of $$$.

I drive up ramps and power wash the underside after knocking off large clumps of grass. An old barbecue brush/scraper combination is handy 'cause of its length. Hang one in your shed. Use a backpack blower or the shop vac (blower) to dry and just blow off the deck. While I'm at it, vac the air screen always!

Annually, I remove decks to mount snow plows. At that time, deck(s) is (are) set on saw horses where I wire wheel the underside(s) and repaint wherever needed.

I too, retired with too much time and grandsons, frequently grease the spindles. With time and grandsons lawns are frequently mowed. The boys need the seat time. Ride 'em cowboys!   :) 

leeave96

First of all I haven't seen it with my own eyes, but ..... my Father in law was telling me about my Brother in law's JD that was purchased new about a year ago.  His deck has a place for hooking up a garden hose to the deck and turning on the water to wash out the deck with the blades turning.  Don't know how effective it is but it seems like it would do a good job of getting most of the debris out of the deck, especially the wet grass that sticks to the deck that an air hose wont dislodge.  Seems like three nozzels connected with some tubing to a garden fitting would be a easy modification if it was effective at removing all the grass and dirt.

My Dad use to park his tractor on a very slight incline in our paved driveway.  He would set the hose in front of the tractor such that as the water came out of it - it would fan out and flow under the entire deck.  He would get on the tractor, engage the mower deck and the vacuum of the deck would pull the water up into it.  I guess it worked?

scifi4all

No personal experience with those deck hose hookups. But I've heard that if you start using them from day one, they work well enough. I think you turn on the water and engage the blades. Could be wrong.

Ditto on the Por-15, it's great! Used it on the rebuild of my deck 3 years ago.

Digger 66

He would set the hose in front of the tractor such that as the water came out of it - it would fan out and flow under the entire deck.  He would get on the tractor, engage the mower deck and the vacuum of the deck would pull the water up into it.  I guess it worked?

No personal experience with those deck hose hookups. But I've heard that if you start using them from day one, they work well enough. I think you turn on the water and engage the blades. Could be wrong.

Just a thought folks , some time ago I threw this together with parts I had laying around the garage to spray the salt from the underside of my pickup during the winter months . 4 foot length if 1" aluminum square tube , sprinkler head , ( hot ) washer hose & zip-ties .

Looks like this & works great ! 

Spray_zpsc722b9c8.png

gwest_ca

95-3282 wash-out port

Garry

Jeff-C175

I think a wash-out port would need to be used every time the mower was used.  If you let that stuff harden up, it probably won't come off without having to attack it manually.  Note that the WH instructions that Garry posted say to wash, then wait a half hour and do it again if there is 'crusty' stuff stuck in there.

Problem would seem to be that if you left ANY of the blobs, now soaked with water, under the deck it would make matters worse for rusting problems by having that wet blob just sitting there in contact with the metal.