Sign in to follow this  
groundhog47

It happened on this day

groundhog47

For all of us to young to have been born, on this day Col Paul Tibbits flew B-29 Enola Gay to Japan, his bombardier released the bomb on Hiroshima. That didn't end the war with Japan but it probably saved men's lives by shortening the war. Some of those saved may have become "our" fathers.

Sore subject I know as for some Col P is a monster, others a pioneer. What would have happened if Japan go the bomb first?

• Like 4

SALTYWRIGHT

i remember that day. we had to end the war some way.

massey

I was fortunate enough to be part of the crew working with the Smithsonian in restoring the Enola Gay.  That was the greatest honor I have had in working in the aviation industry.  I got to meet Paul Tibbets, Dutch Van Kirk (navigator), and Morris Jeppeson (weapon test officer), at a presentation of the completed project.

• Like 2

Digger 66

I have to ask , *** ?
Did g a y become a cuss word ?

illinilefttackle

Names like Pearl Harbor, The Indianapolis, Okinawa, Leyte Gulf, Midway, Bataan Death March, Philippine Sea, and many many more come to mind-God put the Bomb in the hands of the country he knew would use it to end the war.IMO. The Japanese war machine got everything it had coming to it. Yes there were civilians that died too-but there were some on the American side as well. Indeed some of the survivors began our fathers, uncles, etc.-Al

• Like 1

jbumgarner

His bombardier was Thomas Ferebee and he was from my home town, Mocksville, NC.  These guys were true heroes and should never be forgotten.  Japan got everything they had coming to them regardless of how many civilians died during the bombing.  Hiroshima was chosen because it population was predominantly a military city by this time and it had not been bombed much during the war so the true destructiveness of the bomb could be gauged.  Admiral Yamamoto knew when he bombed Pearl that we would go to all extremes to win the war.  After Pearl he said "I fear we have woke a sleeping giant". 

• Like 1

CasualObserver

I have to ask , *** ?

No idea?  Probably in the default filter or something.

nylyon

Why GAY is filtered.  So here's the reason.  I don't know.  There isn't any default filter, all filters were added by me.  So why don't I know the answer? Well, what I did to add the filters was to find a set of pre-configured filters and I applied it.  So gay is filtered out because it was part of that filter set.  I can certainly remove that one, but as an aside commentary, it is a shame that such a happy work can have such a double meaning now adays.

953 nut

:text-thankyouyellow:   Thanks for reminding us of this historic date, many lives were saved by this one act and though it is true that civilains died I feel that more Japanese may have been killed had the war gone on longer.

:USA: 

• Like 1

groundhog47

I was fortunate enough to be part of the crew working with the Smithsonian in restoring the Enola Gay.  That was the greatest honor I have had in working in the aviation industry.  I got to meet Paul Tibbets, Dutch Van Kirk (navigator), and Morris Jeppeson (weapon test officer), at a presentation of the completed project.

What an honor, I only got to meet his wife when installing telephone at their townhouse here. She asked if I knew who he was and I said "Yes mam, he flew the Enola Gay". Wish had persued meeting him.

groundhog47

I have to ask , *** ?

No, and his mother  wouldn't think so either> He musta though highly of her to put her name on plane, passin up wife. They had hard times during his training according to theatrical biography. Some people thought bad of him as flyer of the atomic bomb delivery system, but it was calculated more US troops would be lost if an earlier end was found to the war> 

groundhog47

Why GAY is filtered.  So here's the reason.  I don't know.  There isn't any default filter, all filters were added by me.  So why don't I know the answer? Well, what I did to add the filters was to find a set of pre-configured filters and I applied it.  So gay is filtered out because it was part of that filter set.  I can certainly remove that one, but as an aside commentary, it is a shame that such a happy work can have such a double meaning now adays.

Amen to that, I didn't follow what was meant by cuss word, glad you cleared that up. My feet hurt when toes stepped on so certainly don't wish to step on another's toes! :roll:

groundhog47

:text-thankyouyellow:   Thanks for reminding us of this historic date, many lives were saved by this one act and though it is true that civilains died I feel that more Japanese may have been killed had the war gone on longer.

:USA: 

Yes that is true but their fanaciticism would have kept them comin till we got em all. Remember it took Fat Man on Aug 9th to bring them too the table.

groundhog47

i remember that day. we had to end the war some way.

Qbviously sir you deserve a special thanks as a WW2 vet or Korean "War"vet, who served and kept us free of the Axis grasp or protected or alliance with others. I like to thank all who served but especially in regards to my fathers service WW2. I never got to tell him, and make up is not an option. 

Off topic but for the Vietnam Vets. shame on some US citizens for the treatment given to returning personnel.

wp205a

:flags-usa: Heroes all, in my opinion, down to the ones who tightened the wheels on the aircraft, thanks for posting.

AMC RULES

Always thought it kinda ironic,

all it took was one fat man and a little boy...to bring 'em to the table?     :scratchead: