Sign in to follow this  
Austin860

Snow Removal- Ags vs. turf.

Austin860

I need new tires all around on my D180. I have 26x12x12 chains, and 100 pound wheel weights. Should I go with Ags, or turf. In other words is one better than the other for the winter time chores? Ie. blowing snow, and pushing it.

sned

I run ags on everything. If you are not mowing I would definitely run with ags.

Austin860

Any idea on where to get some 26x12x12 Ags! I can't find any, they are all quad tire

Forest Road

There's no substitute for chains on ice and snow. I prefer ags for all my other chores.

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Miller tire has the 26x12-12 ag tires. The have carlisle and firestone I am pretty sure.

Tankman

Mowing most of the time turf tires.

Fall, change over from deck to dozer. Turf's get chains and, if I fee like it, weights. Don't and haven't had any problems using turf tread tires.

When I plowed the earth, ags always. Front mounted suitcase weights of course.  :)

oldredrider

Ags for turf and dirt; turf tires and chains for snow and ice. IMO

• Like 1

leeave96

Of everything I've read over the years, turf with chains are best in snow and ice.  I have ran them - no problems, however, I've also ran ag's with no chains and had no problems either.  Can't say I've ever had to deal with a lot of ice and when I did, it wasn't like it was a glass surface, but rather rough from cars running on it and so the ag's found a place to bite and I went forward with no problem.

Good luck,

Bill

Hodge71

Hehe...I'm going to muddy the waters a bit and throw my 1 1/2 cents in. I use Bobcat or what are called Industrial tread on my 1973 18 auto for everything. Mows super and I have quite a few hills and plows snow and modified like a bear with no chains and nothing more than factory wheel weights and my big butt in the seat. My driveway (private road as the Twp. calls it) is about 700 feet long and 40 feet wide paved and then a 150 foot modified/stone drive up to the house. It plows all of them with no real issues. The only thing I could say that might affect you is I have 15" rims from the factory. I'm not sure they make 12 inchers for you.

Austin860

So my d 180 should have what size original tires and rims on the back?

And thank you very much everyone. I think I'm just gunna get Ags, so I have them for muddin around during the summer/spring months, and I won't be sacrificing performance in te snow. Thanks much everyone

Austin860

And if anyone could locate me an original size tire and rim, I do have money...you can pm me about that. Thanks

wh5208speed

I really like the Carlisle All Trail. They are the hybrid between Ag and Turf. They do a great job in the snow. I have a 26-12-12 set on my JD 455 and I have a 23x10.50-12 with Chains I use on my Wheel Horse. I have a steep 400 ft black top driveway and sometimes I can get away with no chains.....some times I can't. I have tried every combination of Ag, turf, weights, chains....and this is the best combination for my application. I would imagine if you were not on concrete or blacktop....or if you driveway is relatively flat......chains would not be as necessary. If you go with Ag.....Firestone 23 degree are the best.....and there shouldn't even be a debate on that one :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thad (Ohio)

I am including photos

Wheel Horse - Carlisle All Trail II 23x10.50-12 with 2 Link Chains

JD 455 Carlisle - Carlisle HD Field Trax 26-12-12

JD 455 Firestone - 23 degree Ag 26x12-12

The All Trail II & Field Trax are almost identical.

post-745-0-92903900-1375153996_thumb.jpg

post-745-0-80675700-1375154051_thumb.jpg

post-745-0-01360200-1375154084_thumb.jpg

bubbacola

Try GCT tire... I just got turned to this site when looking for front tires. I saw both ags and turf in the size you are looking for at a great price.. I use turf tires no chains when I use the snow blower  tires are filled and 100 pounds of wheel weights each wheel and 100 pounds hanging on the back of tractor. Chains screw up the black top.  my 2 cents

perry

AG's are for dirt , turf & chains for snow/ice.

Pullstart

I checked out the greatercleveland tire site, would there be a problem replacing a 6" wide tire with a 8.5" wide tire on a 12" wheel?  I know in truck tires that would be ideal, but how does that work with tractors?

bean

would there be a problem replacing a 6" wide tire with a 8.5" wide tire on a 12" wheel? 

not at all. I have the same 5" wide wheels you have in your sig pic. I put deestone 23x8.50-12 ags on them. they are on the 310-8 you see in my pic. fit great. I am thinking of ordering a set of deestone 23x8.50-12 turf tires, for another set of 5" wheels that I have

Edited by bean

DoctorHfuhruhurr

There's always the Black Momba !!

Black-Mamba-Tires.jpg

Pullstart

would there be a problem replacing a 6" wide tire with a 8.5" wide tire on a 12" wheel? 

not at all. I have the same 5" wide wheels you have in your sig pic. I put deestone 23x8.50-12 ags on them. they are on the 310-8 you see in my pic. fit great. I am thinking of ordering a set of deestone 23x8.50-12 turf tires, for another set of 5" wheels that I have

good to know, thanks!

Horse Fanatic

As stated, turf tires with chains work great.  When I got my driveway repaved, I didn't want the chain marks in the new surface so I tried ag tires, with enough weight, they worked almost as well for me.

3609horse

I really like the Carlisle All Trail. They are the hybrid between Ag and Turf. They do a great job in the snow. I have a 26-12-12 set on my JD 455 and I have a 23x10.50-12 with Chains I use on my Wheel Horse. I have a steep 400 ft black top driveway and sometimes I can get away with no chains.....some times I can't. I have tried every combination of Ag, turf, weights, chains....and this is the best combination for my application. I would imagine if you were not on concrete or blacktop....or if you driveway is relatively flat......chains would not be as necessary. If you go with Ag.....Firestone 23 degree are the best.....and there shouldn't even be a debate on that one :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thad (Ohio)

I am including photos

Wheel Horse - Carlisle All Trail II 23x10.50-12 with 2 Link Chains

JD 455 Carlisle - Carlisle HD Field Trax 26-12-12

JD 455 Firestone - 23 degree Ag 26x12-12

The All Trail II & Field Trax are almost identical.

I ran a set of these this past winter, plowed great, even with the 54" plow they did great. 

3609horse

There's always the Black Momba !!

Black-Mamba-Tires.jpg

I put ATV tires on some of my tractors and they work great in the snow, My son put a set something like these on his work tractor and it will go through anything. Just my 

2 cents, for what its worth