Sign in to follow this  
drewby7777

Ignition points Gap setting for 1963 Kohler 9.5 horse 953 W.H.

drewby7777

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone out there familiar with the 9.5 horse Kohler engine that came in the Wheel Horse 953 could tell me what the ignition points gap should be set at?

Thank you.

953 nut

:WRS:   The poins gap should be .020"

953s are the greatest!                                   :USA: 

KC9KAS

:WRS:

rmaynard

No pictures? :wwp::WRS:

drewby7777

Thanks for the welcome all!  Also, thank you very much for the gapping measurement 953 nut! 

I have another question if no one minds. 

Does anyone know of a good parts source for 953's?

I'm looking for two headlights, a grill and a new muffler. 

Thank you.  

Bluffhunter

Welcome to Red Square !!!!   :wh:

Jake Kuhn

Welcome to red square!

pacer

The 953 is virtually identical to the 1054 series, so keep that in mind when youre looking.

I recently finished a extensive rebuild on my 1054 so I can relate to the lights, grill and muffler. For the lights I used a couple vehicle work lights from Harbor frt and adapted them to fit. You can also find these at many other stores...

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-halogen-vehicle-work-light-93904.html

The grill I used a piece of expanded metal I had in my scrap pile that had small openings.

For the muffler I just used a standard 'muffin' or 'biscuit' one.

This is a pic of the lights, but I had to go back and remove the rubber housings - they interfered with the air cleaner, but the method of mounting ended up being the same.

post-9681-0-34632700-1373313733_thumb.jp

drewby7777

Thanks Pacer!  I appreciate the info and the picture.  Do you have a picture if how it looks from the front?  

drewby7777

That looks realy good!  I'll do that also.  Have you noticed any rubbing or chipping on the front of the headlights? Are they resting right against the metal housing inside? 

Pullstart

I know the question has been answered, but I wanted to comment that if you don't have feeler gauges, my grandpa taught me that the thickness of your spark plug box is perfect for setting points gap - it's worked for me with any small engine I've touched since we did our first tune up.  Good way to remember Grandpa too, playing outside in the garage.