Sign in to follow this  
Thunderlizard

Adding an oil filter to the Kohler 12HP Magnum?

Thunderlizard

...my Onan engine has one and the oil stays clean all season!  (love that!) Has anyone tried to add an oil filter to the Kohler? Does it pump oil or just sling it? Enquiring minds want to know!! ;-)

Fordiesel69

Overall a pain, and oil is cheaper over a 5 yr period than the cost to outfit an offline filter setup.

MarkPalmer

...my Onan engine has one and the oil stays clean all season!  (love that!) Has anyone tried to add an oil filter to the Kohler? Does it pump oil or just sling it? Enquiring minds want to know!! ;-)

The oil system in the Kohler horizontal shaft K series and Magnum singles is a slinger, there is no pressure pump or pressurized oil channels as there are on many larger air cooled engines made today that include an oil filter.  Where you can go around 100 hours without an oil change on one of these new filtered engines, 25 hours is the most time you should allow between changes on the old Kohlers.  I change mine about every 15 hours of use or so. 

-Mark-

MalMac

On my old Kohler's with the sling system, when the oil goes from clear fresh to starting to discolor I know it's starting to load up with contaminates. So that's when I change it. That time frame is a lot shorter than what the Kohler manual says. If you run it as long as the manual says it would be pretty dirty. I know operating environment will also dictate how quick the oil gets dirty. Under normal conditions it even starts to get dirty a lot quicker than the recommend oil change interval.