willowbank

Busted

willowbank

Hi Im a new owner from Kent England, had my Raider 10 for about a year now and really enjoy firing her up and mowing the meadow while the neighbours are pussyfooting around with their muffled Hondas etc.

She came with a plough, set of 3 gang mowers and a trailer, I would love to find a snow blade but will keep looking on ebay for one suitable.

Only thing that I have had to do so far was to renew the fuel line and clean out the carb, she runs great now.

I have just encountered a transmission problem which I sincerely hope someone will help me with, she came to a halt unexpectantly and on looking I saw the nearside rear wheel (drivers left) had sheared what looked like a small bolt and taken out some metal, so no transmission. The power does not get to the wheel, I think I need the inner flange that the wheel bolts onto.

How do I detatch the flange from what is presumably a half shaft and where would I begin to look for a replacement part?

Thanks in advance for any help on this, a great forum, just wish more Tractor owners were in UK.

One last question, how can I find out how old my Horse is, it is a 3 speed with reverse and has decals Raider 10 on the side but I cannot see anything else that would indicate, to me, the year of manufacture.

Regards Rob

• Like 1

meadowfield

Hi Rob, welcome to the group!

If its a raider 10 then it's approx 40 years old. ID tag should be on the hood stand under the dash panel - usually close to the fuel tap on the left. I've a fairly simple model look up on my site at the bottom of this message, that should help you get the year.

Back to your main question :D. Sounds like one of the set screws has possibly come loose and the half moon key that locates the hub has possibly sheared. This is not common, but there are a few instances of it happening. Good news is that hubs are generally easy to come by, hopefully the shaft/key way aren't beyond salvage....

Mark

• Like 1

JackC

The Raider 10 was made for model years 1970 to 1974.

The 1970 model was the only one with a 4 speed and a Tecumseh engine.

There also was an 8 speed offered in 1970 with a Tecumseh engine.

All following years were 8 speeds.

1970 and 1971 were the only two years for the Tecumseh engine, the ones that followed all had Kohler engines.

The above is according to an identification publication available on the internet.

If you have the 1970 4 speed Tecumseh powered model it would appear to be the most rare of the Raider 10s.

• Like 1

meadowfield

I was a bit slow there on the transmission... Charlie has a raider 10 with techy engine if I'm not mistaken....

Charlie... You gonna pipe in :)

• Like 1

willowbank

Hi thanks for the replies so far, she has a Kohler engine fitted if that simplyfies the aging. I had an idea she might be around 40 odd years old amazing really that she is still in such good condition.

Looking at the damaged hub it appears that the set screw has somehow ripped off, its not there and theres just a jagged hole, I have found what appear to be two half moon shaped bits of metal about 1/8" thick by 3/4" along the flat laying in the grass where we stopped.

Off to bed now so will catchup at breakfast.

Regards Rob

• Like 1

willowbank

Update and evening everyone,

Well I have now got a replacement 1" hub (£50) so was ready to reassemble but nervous as to how to proceed so thought about taking the other hub off to get the size of Woodruff key I needed.

Only problem is that the good hub will not come off, even using a puller, so I am unhappy about forcing things, any advice please on reassembling with the Woodruff key?

Is the Woodruff key that is in situ stopping the hub from sliding off, if so what must I do about it?

Thank you for all and any help chaps, great forum, would be lost without it.

Regards Rob

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square...the Woodruff key you need is a # 15.  If you do not have to take off the other hub, I would leave it alone at this point.  Don't fix it if it ain't broke.  Don't be afraid to file the key a little to get it to fit...if needed.  File any burrs on the end of the axle and around where the key goes also.  I missed this thread a couple of months ago...do you know what made the damage happen in the first place??  Is the trans OK?? :eusa-think:

• Like 1

meadowfield

So why did you buy a new hub, what was wrong? I thought the set screw had broken that's all?

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

I must also apologise for missing this post initially Rob and a belated Welcome. Suspect I know where you got the replacement Hub from at that price :silence:  . I agree totally not to disturb the other Hub (unless the Seal leaks), Not sure if the Woodruf Key is the same size on the 1" Shafts as on the bigger inch and an eighth diameter shafts. If they are, I may have one, or can make you one.

The important thing is if the keyway in the Shaft is damaged. Is there any way of taking a pic and posting it on here for us to see?. We can then make a more qualified answer as to where to go next.

I see your fairly-ish local to me , and pretty close to Stigian, who may also know more about the early Raider 10s. So don't feel too isolated down here in the South East corner of the Rock.

Regards      

• Like 1

willowbank

Good evening and thank you for the replies,

Stevasaurus, thanks for the woodruff info, the trans appears to be ok the wheels rotate when the shafts are turned, I have no idea what caused the breakdown we just came to a halt, no noises just stopped.

Meadowfield, hi the hub was damaged around the set screw area,a segment approx 1" of the hub around the set screw broke off and I cannot find it although I found the woodruff key(s) two half round pieces of metal, has it been bodged by previous owner? The slot where the key fits does look pretty wide to me, but then I do not know what it should look like.

Anglo Traction, thanks for the welcome, you are probably correct about the source of the 1" hub, he still has the other one. I am now concerned that the keyway in the shaft may have been previously damaged, I will attempt to get photos up, as you suggest, and see where I go from there, I will, as advised, leave the other hub alone.

Many thanks all for your advice,

Regards Rob

Edited by willowbank
  • Like 1

Stigian

Hi Rob welcome to RedSquare, good to have another Kent member aboard... Where are you in Kent? (Staplehurst?) I'm in sunny-ish Hawkhurst.

If you need another key for your axle I can help you out. I don't know if the 1" axles have different key's to the 1 1/8" axles, but I expect I can rummage up something :)

• Like 1

meadowfield

Ahh, I see... The hub actually broke :(

broken set screws are common but easily removed with a welder, washer and sacrificial bolt!

Mark

• Like 1

Charlie Smith

Hello,

welcome to red square. Sorry for the time it took me to find this thread. I also have a 1970's Raider 10, sadly I don't have all the attachments you listed... The only attachments I have are a homemade cultivator and a snowplough,

here's a few pictures of mine....

post-9595-0-84614400-1379875893_thumb.jppost-9595-0-64886500-1379875877_thumb.jp

Before And After,

post-9595-0-70597700-1379875969_thumb.jp

• Like 2

willowbank

Evening chaps, not been able to upload any photos yet, will try again in the morning.

Stigian,  good to hear that you are in the area, I am actually nearer Tenterden. Thanks for the offer of help, may well take you up on that.

Meadowfield, thanks for that tip, I dont actually have a welder at the moment but know a man who has lol.

Charlie, you too are not a million miles away, many thanks for taking the time to put the photos up, she looks very tidy, I need lessons on this photo lark... I forgot to list that I do have a cultivator almost the same pattern as the one shown, could you put up a photo of the snow blade please, I woul;d be very interested in seeing that.

Regards Rob

Charlie Smith

Yes like you say I'm not that far away... The cultivator shown was hand built I do have pictures of us building them ( made two) on my website, please feel free to check it out, www.wheelhorse.weebly.com And I shall rig up the snow blade sometime in the week and get some pictures too you,

Stigian

Stigian,  good to hear that you are in the area, I am actually nearer Tenterden. Thanks for the offer of help, may well take you up on that.

Your welcome Rob, just send me a PM.

Charlie Smith

Here is a picture of my raider 10 and the snow plough you wanted to see

post-9595-0-47900900-1380463398_thumb.jp

• Like 1

willowbank

Hi everyone, sorry to have dissapeared off the face of the earth, had another brush with the Cancer but fingers crossed, treatment completed and now "fit for purpose" lol.

Unfortunately after meeting Stigian last year I went downhill and have not been able to work on my Raider, so it's still languishing and feeling unloved.

I would dearly like to get it sorted this year and enjoy using her, but have to admit my skills do not stretch to mechanics, so could do with all help available please. I could trailer it anywhere, within reason, and happy to offer funds/ reimburse expenses.

Ps Charlie thanks for showing me the Snow blade, certainly looks the part.

Kind regards Rob.

Edited by willowbank

Sparky

If anyone could get it sorted out it would be Ian (Stigian).

Congrats on keeping the cancer at bay!

Mike........

Stigian

Hi Rob, you have a PM :thumbs:

• Like 1

meadowfield

Hi Rob, you have a PM :thumbs:

:thumbs:

Meadow house

Hi everyone out there, hope you are all ok after these strange times, it looks as though we are shortly to attempt a return to some form of normality, if ever life can be normal again.

After my last brush with the C I’ve came through reasonably ok but then had to have a below knee amputation which slowed me up a bit 

but where there’s “a will...”  and all that I’m fit again and raring to go with a nice looking ‘Camo’ prosthetic which some have said they wouldn’t have believed I had If I had not told them, so can’t be that bad 👍

Anyway I’m babbling... 😂  my raider is still awaiting repair to the busted hub and I’m itching to get it done. Can anyone contact Ian (Stigian) directly and pass him a message please, he has the vital part I left with him at our last meeting. He lives up the road but moved a mile or two and I don’t know his address.

I have every intention from here on in to visit the forum much more regularly and look forward to a few chats with you all.

regards Rob.

ps I don’t know how but Im Willowbank but come up as Meadow House, sorry admin.

Edited by Meadow house

stevasaurus

@Sparky  Can you take a look at the above post for Rob.  Somehow he lost his stage name.  Thanks

• Like 1

Sparky
On 7/7/2021 at 5:06 PM, Meadow house said:

ps I don’t know how but Im Willowbank but come up as Meadow House, sorry admin.

You must have opened a second account at some time. Your two accounts have different member numbers and join dates. 
  Sign out of RedSquare completely and try to sign back in with Willowbank as your name. If you can’t recall the password for Willowbank let me know and I can fix that for you. Once your back in as Willowbank I’ll delete the other account. I was going to offer to merge the two but Meadow House has no content that needs saving.

• Thanks 1

Meadow house

Hi Sparky, yes now I seem to remember not being able to sign in as Willowbank hence setting up the second account.

i have tried signing out and coming back in but not being brilliant at navigating and I’m unable to do this.

id like to retain my earlier posts but if that causes problems now will stay as Meadow House.

thanks for helping 👍

Rob.