Sign in to follow this  
ottonator

Placing C-160 back in Service after 4yr storage. Help!!

ottonator

Grandpa's C-160, Automatic, K341AS engine with 500 original hours on it.  Had a “tune up†from the local Toro shop, but after 20 minutes of operation, it stalled out   Let it sit for 15 minutes, started it back up for a few minutes, and stalled.  So I let it sit for four (4) long years. 

As I type, the battery is being charged.  My questions:

1. What should I be doing to prep the motor and transmission to run again?
  2. What is the most probably culprit for the stall?
  3. I’ve read a lot on this site, and everybody has great ideas.  What order should I troubleshoot the stall?  (Carb, fuel pump, gas cap, spark plug, etc.)

Any help would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Depends on how it stalls.  Can you close the choke and get a little more run out of it?  If so yo have a fuel problem like a bad cap vent.  Another thing is the coil, if it get hot and is bad, it will open and you loose spark.

To get it gognm again, you really need to take the carb apart and clean it.  Then just a few drops of oil down the cylinder as well as fresh oil change. 

squonk

Jack up the rear end and run the hydro for a while forward and back. Then change the hydro oil.

• Like 1

cheesegrader

Bad fuel/debris in the fuel system?

If you are going to clean the carb, might as well drain and flush out the fuel tank.

Maybe replace old brittle fuel lines.

A little rust or rotted rubber in the fuel system would not be a surprise after sitting so long.

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Jack up the rear end and run the hydro for a while forward and back. Then change the hydro oil.

Definatly a good idea, however it is better to get the fluid nice and toasty before you change it.  Possibly pull a lawn roller while you cut, or somthing like that.

• Like 1

bitten

I would first clean the fuel system really good. Remove the carb and soak it in cleaner. Replace the fuel lines and filter. Clean the fuel pump(if applicable) and the fuel tank.

Next inspect the electrical system. Points , coil, wire, spark plug and all connections. You want to have a good blue spark.

These are the first things I would check. Like stated before the coil sounds like it might be on its way out.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

ottonator

Thank you all for the quick replies.

I had to open the bypass valve and push the mower from my barn to the garage to work on it.  It was rather difficult to push.

I discovered that the original fuel line from the pump to the carb is still installed.  After reading the replies, I will flush the tank, clean the cut off valve, replace all hosing, and rebuild the carb.

My next question is:   How do I clean the fuel pump? 

Fordiesel69

Thank you all for the quick replies.

I had to open the bypass valve and push the mower from my barn to the garage to work on it.  It was rather difficult to push.

I discovered that the original fuel line from the pump to the carb is still installed.  After reading the replies, I will flush the tank, clean the cut off valve, replace all hosing, and rebuild the carb.

My next question is:   How do I clean the fuel pump? 

You do not "clean it". You manually dpress the arm and let clean fresh fuel flow thru it while checking for leaks near the arm. Leaking will cause the crankcase to fill with fuel, consuquently wiping out the connecting rod over time.

ottonator

Just removed the carb.  Dirty would be an understatement.  Cleaned parts in ultrasonic cleaner.  Going to purchase rebuild kit tomorrow.

Question - should I use pipe dope on the 90deg fuel line fitting? 

Fordiesel69

No, just one wrap of teflon tape will do.

ottonator

After trying what Fordiesel69 suggested, it appears to be my fuel pump (I think)

New filter that shows gas present.  Gas up to fuel pump.  With the pump removed from the tractor, connected to fresh gas, I press the arm, and very little fuel trickles out of the pump.

Is this the way it’s supposed to work…. a trickle?  Once I put the fuel pump back on, with the crankcase provide the pressure needed to force the gas up into the carb? 

Fordiesel69

If you have an arm on the fuel pump it should "squirt fuel" each time you depress the arm.  It should do a lot more than trickle.

With the pump in your hand and the arm facing your chest, the fuel supply line goes on the left, and the discharge line on the right.

On a side note, if you have a metal body fuel pump, save it as you can with enough patience find a NOS rebuild kit.  But to get it going just buy the aftermarket crap plastic body one and be done with it for now.  You will still get 4-5 years out of it. 

Also if you are curious to run the engine, a hose connected to a spare tank held high will feed the carb enough.  On my generator my metal body fuel pump is shot and I just took the hoses off and let the tank gravity feed. 

On yours you will have to fix the pump to run it reliable.

Dresden Guy

Ottonator,

It sounds to me like it's too far gone..... give me your address and I'll come take it away and give it a respectable "burial" ........ :icecream: ...... it's the least I can do! And there will only be a nominal hauling fee!! :music-singing:  

The reason for my generous offer (??) is that I just sold my C-160H two months ago and have been in "mourning" regretting it ever since. So I thought before you get yours running and start realizing it is one of the Best WH's ever made I would offer my services.  :razz:

I'll stay by my phone! 

Steve aka Dresden Guy

P.S. - the above posts are all correct..... rebuild the carb, new gas lines and clean the tank, and you're probably good to go.

ottonator

All - thanks for the help.

I removed the isolation valve from the fuel tank, and found the mesh collapsed and full of what appeared to be shredded fiberous material.  Replaced valve, grommet, and flushed fuel tank.  Fuel is running to fuel pump now. 

My new problem? I left the switch in the "Start" position.  It still won't start.  Charging battery as I type. 

New question?  Did I fry anything by leaving the switch on?  I looked at the elec schematic, and all I can see in the circuit that I could potentially fry is the coil.

posifour11

I'd worry about the points too.

Ken B

I hope you get it going soon. Just curious, what did the Toro shop charge you for this so called tune up and how long ago was it done?

ottonator

Got it running tonight.  Fuel pump was bad.

THANK YOU to everyone who helped. 

It's backfiring at low throttle.  I need to adjust the carb.