Hodge71

42 inch rear discharge deck

peter lena

tom2p, did you ever install that pulley on the rear of that deck? noticing the paint rub off area , is just about where you would install that pulley , a slight deflection , in that long unsupported routing , keeps things quiet .  have that on all 5 of my decks . pete

tom2p
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

tom2p, did you ever install that pulley on the rear of that deck? noticing the paint rub off area , is just about where you would install that pulley , a slight deflection , in that long unsupported routing , keeps things quiet .  have that on all 5 of my decks . pete

Pete - no - unfortunately have not gotten to that ...  this year full of 'house projects' - with little time for 'tractor projects'

on this subject - what type of pulley do you use and where did you purchase the pulley ?

the belt defection at the time the picture was taken was especially bad because I had installed a lower quality new Toro 'OEM' belt ... I re-installed the old belt (true OEM belt) and it is better with less deflection  ... still would be improved by an additional pulley though 

peter lena

tom, i would have to check the exact size to verify , but its in this groupe , https://www.ebay.com/i/311940791342?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=311940791342&targetid=930621147540&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9003292&poi=&campaignid=10459991409&mkgroupid=100467641501&rlsatarget=pla-930621147540&abcId=2146000&merchantid=8024644&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_NbfwIyF6wIVBIbICh0eRwBoEAQYBCABEgIcCfD_BwE. i always have a few on hand , pete

Sparky1984

Hey Guys, Maybe an alternate idea, on my 42" RD mower I used short lengths of chain threaded onto a SS 1/4" all thread and attached to the deck with screw eyes. Locking nuts/cotter pins on the ends keep it in place. Got the idea from my 72" Bush Hog RDTH. They've been on there about 15 years......no changes

peter lena

@tom2p tom , that idler pully is an easy addition , got mine on line , always have a spare , not a lot of  push on the belt, just watched for most advantage spot , drilled a 3/8 " hole , used a thread free base bolt and washer , up from bottom of deck , size to size ,3/8  to match pulley bore ,  pulley will probably have a longer  mount hole side , that goes down on deck top ,with washer  to elevate bearing , use flat washer and elastic lock nut to secure . when I have my decks down / off , regularly look at total function / ease of spin , thats the to go after anything thats off , and get after it ,  its just what I  do , have a good day , pete   

peter lena

@Stepney  just saw this , that unsupported belt  buzz , is just that , that back side is easily  15" +  without a flat idler pulley in the middle of that spread . just drilled a hole and added a little push in on the belt to fitting , used flat washers and elastic lock nut , 3" pulley , also regreased  pulley , stop lubrication failure noise ,  all my decks have been done , no noise or wyning bearings , also did pto muel drive bearings , pto cone bearings .  once , you have a quiet running deck , there is no going back , done 4 of them , pete  

peter lena

@PeacemakerJack  noticing all the exposed frame shots in your  replys , did you try and steel fuel line on the inside  angle of frame , holding spot ?  eliminate , fuel hose break down , finish with  1 ft at each end  with clear vinyl , for fuel filter , check valve . might do mine over winter , pete

peter lena

@tom2p  ever try that idler pulley?  that was just an add on whyle  checking out rotational function , like your added grass trap , having horses more than 40 years , main thing I have found on them is functional , detailing , kind of like dragging a sled , on attatchments . that led me to correct , rough / sloppy spots . always looked at anything , to improve . that pto lever set up , was a constant , effort to use. not any more , used my C -85 as the test bed for experiments , once I got it smooth / easy / bombproof ,  basically did the same to the other 2 horses . made chronis issues a solid / reliable spot . electrical areas , wiring reroute , wire / cable wrap , add on rectifier grounding . lots of stuff . all 3 are  solid , experiment a lot with ideas . just talking , pete