Sign in to follow this  
pacer

Kohler K series carburetor crossover

pacer

I recently did a rebuild on my K241 10hp (new piston, rings, rod) on checking the rest of components I found the carburetor was badly clogged with rust debris from the rusty tank and with some corrosion. It seemingly cleaned up nicely, but I keep having problems with it - easily flooded on start, and last few crankings float has stuck. Have been back into it a couple more times and will seem fine for a period but then....flooding again. Think I'll look out for a replacement, what of the other carbs in this style motor will work? I can see several will obviously fit and are the same in appearance, but is the jetting the same? Would a 14 hp jets be the same as my 10hp?

Don1977

Have you checked to see if you have a hole in the float. That can cause it not to shut off the gas when the carburetor is full.

KATO

Did you replace the fuel line while you had it apart ?? It could be deteriorating on the inside

and jamming up the needle now that you've disturbed everything.

Edited by KATO

pacer

Oh jeez, I have replaced, or repaired, I think, everything on this horse!! The gas tank was a huge mess and the PO had tried to get it running by pouring gas in it! So the tank and fuel filter and line had to go, fuel pump disassembled and cleaned out, and then getting into the carb I found the float had a hole in it, along with a lot of crud. Was able to solder up the pin hole and after one of the episodes of flooding, I rechecked the float for leaks and find its still OK. I have to again pull the carb for the 5th time because of a stuck float and am quite sure I will find ---- nothing! as I have found before. On the 1054 its easier to pull the grill housing as to fight getting the carb off around it - either is a bit of a pain.

I would just as soon go ahead and replace the carb, but would like to know if the 12 & 14hps & the carbs off some of the other makes will work, there are quite a few on ebay at not so bad a price, but I wonder about the jetting of the other hp/models.

puddlejumper

Before youn throw the carb away check one last thing. there is a hole in the housing of the carb under the float, In cant remember which side at the moment that comes up and out through the inside front of the carb. This is a atmospheric vent if it is clogged it will cause a high atmospheric pressure in the float bowl causing your float to be less boyaunt. I fought one hard and THOUGHT I had cleaned it well numerous times. Found out this valuable piece of information and all problems where cured.

pacer

Racin,

That is a FINE web site!! It answered all my questions, and even some I didnt even now I wanted to ask...

Thank you!

Bill Pace

racin_ny
htopjimmy26 turned me on to that site a few days ago in a post about a Kohler carb.