Sign in to follow this  
Kevbo

Synthetic Gear Oil Question

Kevbo

When I first found this forum you guys did an amazing job teaching me how to flush my trannys and replace the fluid.

I have done this process in all of my tractors and have just put cheap Wal-Mart 80W-90 to save money and make sure any leaky seals were replaced before I put in the "good stuff".

I have chosen Mobil 1 sythnethic for when I decide to drain out the Wal-Mart and I have two questions:

1) Is it better to go with 75W-140 or 75W-90?

2) The 75W seems thinner than other gear oils, this is not an issue I imagine?

:thanks:

Jim_M

I would probably use the 75W90. The 75W140 gets pretty thick when it's cold. I tried 75W140 Royal purple in my 654, I was using it for snow removal, it was thick enough when it was cold that it would creep in neutral when you let the clutch out.

• Like 2

KATO

:text-yeahthat: 75W90 for sure 75w140 is more HEAVY DUTY and not required !!

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Being I only operate in the summer I used the 75-140.  But as bullet proof as these are 75-90 would also be fine.

They are fairly tough with exception to the HIGH/LOW shift fork.  So don;t jam it in if it won;t go.

• Like 1

bob393

I'm a 75W90 guy but I'm not a good example as I blew out the needle bearings on my C-120 8 speed.

Edited by bob393

Kevbo

How did that happen? Just naturally?

Fordiesel69

The other thing to consider, is moisture and metal will accumulate in the fluid.  My personal perference is to change more often rather then using expensive fluid.  The only time I think synthetic fluid would be better is if you operate 8 hrs solid and it gets hot.  Which I don;t beleive it would get that hot.  Or conversly if you operate in the winter, it will flow better.

bob393

How did that happen? Just naturally?

Unfortunately I think that's why because I don't abuse it.

I feel I take pretty good care of it with regular greasing, oil changes, and adjustments.

MalMac

We are talking a small garden tractor transmission, not a transmission out of a big hi-way truck pulling a 53ft trailer. The pressures and heat generated by a big truck compared to that of a 8-speed Uni-Drive is totally different thus the need for the real heavy weight is not needed. If it is needed I am not sure what your trying to do with the Uni-Drive is safe for the operator or the tractor. This is just my opinion of course and I think the 75w-90 is plenty heavy enough.

pfrederi

Consider that for several years WH specified 40w motor oil for the transmission.  MY L-107 is working just fine after 46 yrs of consistent use running 40w in the rearend..

meadowfield

ditto that - my C-101 has run on 10W40 motor oil for the last 3 years. I figured if it's good enough for a modern vehicle with shared engine and gearbox running at 80 deg C it's good enough...

:hide: