Sign in to follow this  
travlindave

Hydraulic -Belt Driven Hein-Wernr Pumps Question

travlindave

Anyone know or have any data on the pressure created by the Hein Werner hydraulic pumps used in the early Wheel Horse tractors? 

I know they will lift a lot of weight.  I just had a Wheel Horse Disc and two cement blocks on the back of a 1054 and the pump lifted this with no problem.

Amazing that the small steel cable and the pumpb can carry something like that on it.

Anyway tyring to figure out what the range/limitations of the pump may be as far as capacity etc.   Pump might be used in other applicaitons to run off PTO on a tractor for a forklift, logsplitter , etc if  it will hold up to the stress.

SousaKerry

I would imagine the problem you would run into is the limited size of the reservoir.  When the cylinder is filled it takes a certain amount of fluid, when it is retracted that amount is less due to the volume that the rod takes up.  Therefore your reservoir must be big enough to accommodate this volume change.  With a standard Wheel Horse lift cylinder this is not much, as the bore, stoke and rod diameters are small.  On a log splitter this volume change is much greater as the cylinder bore is much bigger as well as the rod diameter and the stroke.  Also the flow of these units is also limited so that it may work, but it may take several minutes to pump enough fluid to fill the larger cylinder.

So will it work, in theory yes but probobly not practical. 

Edited by Sousakerry2
  • Like 2