Sign in to follow this  
Xjchief

Kohler k91 troubles

puddlejumper

Float level set a little to low, or maybe a partially clogged main jet. I am drawing straws also.

MarkPalmer

Did you get a chance to take the breather off and check the valve tappet clearances?  Because the K91 doesn't have either ACR or a spark advance, this is about the last item in the troubleshooting hard starting list that hasn't been explored here.  The clearances don't necessarily effect compression, but do effect valve timing especially when cold. 

-Mark-

WH nut

And back to the question of have you tried putting some gas right in the plug hole?

MarkPalmer

Or even try a quick shot of carburetor cleaner in the intake to see if it helps during cold startup.

-Mark-

• Like 1

Xjchief

Is the coil installed correctly? I can't find a single wire diagram. The one in the service manual is kinda vague

post-9395-0-49138600-1368579110_thumb.jp

Jake Kuhn

Do you have a condensor???

Xjchief

,it's not under the flywheel it's next to the points where it was when I got the motor which could b wrong I don't know because after all these parts changed the common denominator is the guy b4 me had to use a drill starting it and I still have to so.. If someone can post a pic of how it should b. (also these 2 pics r b4 I cleaned it all up and replaced things but I put it all back the same way)

post-9395-0-15315800-1368581222_thumb.jp

MarkPalmer

I can of course be wrong as it's hard to fix an engine over the internet, but I think you are barking up the wrong tree with this being an ignition issue.  Your coil and condenser look to be installed in a manner where they should, and do work.  If the plug fires strong while pulling the engine cold, ignition probably isn't the trouble.  Even running this by some friends of mine, they said if you have a spark that will run the engine warm, and gas enrichment to start it when cold, the trouble is likely elsewhere.  One guy mentioned possible weak valve springs to me with your symptoms, so that would be something else to look in to. 

-Mark-

Xjchief

Thanks mark for all your help and advise

• Like 1

WH nut

Im still betting on fuel

AMC RULES

So what happened...any updates?    :scratchead:

buckrancher

still sounds like a carb issue to me

the right condenser for this motor mounts under the flywheel in the half moon cut out on the right side

#220082 if you deicide to change it

on the back side of the flywheel is a t and s marks for timing if you have a voltage meter you can static time the motor by alining the

correct mark in the hole in the alum bearing plate on the side of the motor see the kohler manual for more info

Brian

Xjchief

Nope no updates haven't really done much but it still isn't starting like it should be

Lars

Have you checked the head gasket?.

C-101plowerpower

how old is the gas you try to start it on?

Xjchief

still sounds like a carb issue to me

the right condenser for this motor mounts under the flywheel in the half moon cut out on the right side

#220082 if you deicide to change it

on the back side of the flywheel is a t and s marks for timing if you have a voltage meter you can static time the motor by alining the

correct mark in the hole in the alum bearing plate on the side of the motor see the kohler manual for more info

Brian

This is the next thing I am going to check I am very un clear on timing adjustment on these motors but after checking everything that is the last thing I want to check. How exactly do I check the timing?